Yamaha THR10C External Speaker Jacks

DHart

Reaction score
theaxeman.... thank you so much for sharing this information!

I absolutely love the tone I've found on my THR10. I use the Bass channel with some reverb and compression (from the app) and the tone is to die for. I just want it BIGGER now! So, I'm considering your approach to connect my THR to a 1-12" cabinet.

Thanks again!

I decided that I wanted to know what the Yamaha THR10C sounded like through external speakers, so I started the project Saturday.

I found a 2X12 SS Combo cheap on CL with 8 Ohm speakers in it, so that was my first step. I disconnected the internal amp and wired up two separate jacks to plug into from the outside.

I put the Yamaha on the bench a couple of days ago and opened it up just as an exploration to see how tight it was going to be. Went to the electronics store and picked up some switching jacks, some plugs and wire.

Made up two new wires from amp to cab, and then started laying out the switching jacks, the speaker wires inside etc. and got it all straight in my mind of how I wanted to do it.

Finished it up just a bit ago. I am always nervous when I first turn an amp back on after I've been inside it thinking about all the things I could have screwed up, but it fired up and no smoke. :laugh2:

It wasn't terribly hard to do, but for me any way requires a lot of planning and concentration. It is a tight fit, but it will work. :shock:

The internals worked as before, so I hooked it up to my "new" cab.

The difference in sound is night and day. Volume is considerably louder, and full rich sound with all the bass that's missing from the internal speakers.

You remember the sound of this amp in the demos on youtube? This is what it sounds like in all those demos that were mic'd up and run through a PA or recorded directly and then played out through a "sound" system.

I love this amp just as it is, but wanted the option to play it with "jamming" volume with my friends.

I realize, that I have voided my warranty by doing what I did, but it was worth it for me.

I took pics all along the way, but probably won't post them until some time tomorrow.

Troy Tauzin

Reaction score
I also registered to send out a big thank you for all the info in this thread. I bought the THR10C fo it’s wide range of features (not for its tone). I found myself wanting to get a little more volume out of it. I thought hooking it to a cab would be a good idea and then found this thread. Did the mod and I couldn’t be happier with the little amp. Thanks again for sharing this project.

DHart

Reaction score
I decided to try another approach... I connected a pair of high fidelity powered studio monitors to the headphone jack of my THR10 and WOW... I can reproduce all the wonderful tones and EFX of the THR10 in rich, full, high fidelity at any thing from a whisper quiet volume to a powerful roar, in stereo.

I don’t need a conventional amp for my playing, composing, and recording in my home studio - just the THR10 and a great pair of powered studio monitors! For me, this is the perfect solution, and doesn’t require any modifications to the THR10.

I sometimes play through the THR10 on it’s own, and when I want the M-Audio BX-8 studio monitors, I simply plug them into the headphone jack of the THR10. All controlled by the controls on the THR10.

The M-Audio studio monitors give rich, full, and powerfully deep bass response, even at very low volume levels because they are high-fidelity speakers - not guitar speakers. They can also play at very powerful volume levels. The THR10 creates the guitar amp tone, the reverb, compressor, and other special EXF, acts as the preamp, and the studio monitors simply reproduce the signal in stereo high fidelity, with a lot of power behind the signal. I love this guitar amplification solution!

Last edited:

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always did the headphone jack to powered monitors thing. Worked great! Cool looking set up!

sneykinko

Reaction score
Hi all!
Hope this thread isn´t dead yet.
Because I´ve got a serious question.
I like THR10X sooo much. And I´m planning to bringing it to our rehearsals and í d like to bring it even for gigs.
So... Here´s my question please:
Can someone confirm that THR10X will be loud enough while connected to the powered cab through headphones out? Or maybe powered monitor speaker? (used for audience at show, or for rehearsals).
Something like these:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-amps/guitar-cabs/other-guitar-cabs/laney-iron-heart-irt-x-powered-guitar-expansion-cab
https://www.gak.co.uk/en/laney-cxs-115a-concept-300w-active-sub/913058

Seems to be very simple. And practical too.
Thanks

EDIT: And what if... I simply run a cable from headphones out to the
Electro Harmonics 44 Magnum amp? And then from EH44M amp to the 2x12 or 4x12 cab? Will that work too?

Last edited:

DHart

Reaction score
Hi all!
Hope this thread isn´t dead yet.
Because I´ve got a serious question.
I like THR10X sooo much. And I´m planning to bringing it to our rehearsals and í d like to bring it even for gigs.
So... Here´s my question please:
Can someone confirm that THR10X will be loud enough while connected to the powered cab? Or maybe powered monitor speaker? (used for audience at show, or for rehearsals).
Something like these:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitar-amps/guitar-cabs/other-guitar-cabs/laney-iron-heart-irt-x-powered-guitar-expansion-cab
https://www.gak.co.uk/en/laney-cxs-115a-concept-300w-active-sub/913058

Seems to be very simple. And practical too.
Thanks
The THR10 is quite capable of supplying a signal that can be amplified just as loud as the device that you plug it into is capable of. If the powered cab or monitor speaker that you choose is up to the task, then the THR10 certainly is.

The Laney Iron Heart will quite likely do the job well for you.

The Laney active-sub may be oriented more toward low frequency bass reproduction, primarily.

SonnySoul

Reaction score
Registered here just to say a big thanks to theaxeman. Found this thread while was trying to find how to make a speaker out for the THR10.

I made this mod slightly different - I added a two-pos. switch for switching on/off the THR's own speakers. So I can use the THR as a head with my 1x12 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30, I can make a mini-stack by switching THR's speakers on, and I can fill the whole room with sound by placing the THR in one corner and the cabinet in another.

And again big thanks to theaxeman!
I know this is an old thread, but do you still have pictures or diagrams for the wiring in this mod?

SloMoTX

Reaction score
Could you upload a few sound examples?

Using the 8-ohm speakers, did the vol. drop? Full sound?

Ilmung

Reaction score
Hi , I adapted my THR10C with external speakers (cabinet 4x 12 " Celestions ) splitted in 2 x celestions for right and 2 x celestions for left .I used a very common plug for the external speakers ,if there is no external speakerplug than the thr10c speaker is working , if you put the external speakerplugs in, than you interrupt the thr10c speakers and you use only the Celestions speakers , you can even use for example the thr10c right speaker with the celestion speaker on the left or just the reverse .
The sound has changed completely , it's really a much better amp AND the thr10c goes very loud !!!!!
The installation is quite easy ,you need some measurements to do so that the plugs are installed as deep as possible and speakerplugs which are not too big so when you put the amp together that the pcb do not touch any contact of the speakerplug.I did not use the contacts on the pcb but I directly used the cables from the thrc speakers .
the plugs .
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG

Last edited:

prunchen

Reaction score
Registered here just to say a big thanks to theaxeman. Found this thread while was trying to find how to make a speaker out for the THR10.

I made this mod slightly different - I added a two-pos. switch for switching on/off the THR's own speakers. So I can use the THR as a head with my 1x12 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30, I can make a mini-stack by switching THR's speakers on, and I can fill the whole room with sound by placing the THR in one corner and the cabinet in another.

And again big thanks to theaxeman!
HI Mister V. I would like to do the same mod you've done. Can you send me more info about this process. My mail is [email protected]. Maybe some pictures? I really like the sound of this Amp and I would like to reamp this sound. Thanks.

prunchen

Reaction score
Hi , I adapted my THR10C with external speakers (cabinet 4x 12 " Celestions ) splitted in 2 x celestions for right and 2 x celestions for left .I used a very common plug for the external speakers ,if there is no external speakerplug than the thr10c speaker is working , if you put the external speakerplugs in, than you interrupt the thr10c speakers and you use only the Celestions speakers , you can even use for example the thr10c right speaker with the celestion speaker on the left or just the reverse .
The sound has changed completely , it's really a much better amp AND the thr10c goes very loud !!!!!
The installation is quite easy ,you need some measurements to do so that the plugs are installed as deep as possible and speakerplugs which are not too big so when you put the amp together that the pcb do not touch any contact of the speakerplug.I did not use the contacts on the pcb but I directly used the cables from the thrc speakers .
the plugs . View attachment 434786 View attachment 434786 View attachment 434787 View attachment 434788 View attachment 434789 View attachment 434789 View attachment 434794 View attachment 434797
HI ilmund
the plugs . View attachment 434786 View attachment 434786 View attachment 434787 View attachment 434788 View attachment 434789 View attachment 434789 View attachment 434794 View attachment 434797
HI Ilmug. The wires you've soldered into the new jack sockets, where they come from? Have you desoldered the thr10 speakers wires and replaced for the new ones? Or have you kept the thr10speakers and added the ones who goes to the jack sockets?

DHart

Reaction score
Please share more here, as I would really like to do this with my THR10, also.

Thank you.

Ilmung

Reaction score
Hi there ,
You must connect the cables coming from the internal speaker to the "mono jack with switch", but as they are to short you have to prolonge them or using longer cables .The switch has a closed contact which opens when you put the external speakerplug .
I have made 2 drawings to make it easier to understand , but the position B is the final connection .
Position A : without external speakerplug ,internal speaker is connected to the amp
Position B : with external speakerplug so the internal speaker is disconnected from the amp .
So I can use or the external or the internal speakers , I can not use them together .My external speakers are 8 ohm .
If I remenber well, I think that the internal speakers are +- 6 ohm so that's save for the amp , if you should connect an external speaker with a lower "ohm" than the original 6 ohm , you could damage the amp.
Please take special attention that you install the external speaker jacks as low as possible ,in that way you can assemble all the panels of the amp without touching the external jack switch .
let me know if there's any problem .
Here is the adress where I ordered the jacks , but I see that there are not available for the moment , but there exist also double jacks which must be ok also ,but this are common pieces and should be available in your country also .
IMG_2273.JPG

Last edited:

prunchen

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I understand the schemes. It's easier to see the connections in this way. A few questions for the moment. Could you keep the original THR10 quality sound when the external speakers are working? What external speakers do you use? Can I install only one jack for just one external speaker?

Ilmung

Reaction score
If the external speakerplugs are in the jack , than the speakers of the THR do not work .....and vice versa.Yes you can install one jack and in that way you will have one external speaker and one THR speaker working .I have used Celestions 12inch 16 ohm 25 watt and I connected 2 speakers in parallel, so finally I have 8 ohm for one jack and I have 4 speakers working :)

prunchen

Reaction score
Just one more question. Could I plug one external 8ohms speaker and the other of 16ohms? I currently have one of each. Is it possible?

Ilmung

Reaction score
Yes that's possible .
But you never should plug a speaker in an amp where the impedance is lower than the impedance indicated on the amp ,if you do that .....there's a great chance you damage your amp .
In the case of the THR 10C the speaker with the 16 ohm will only be quieter than the speaker with 8 ohm .
Remark : please respect the + and - connection ,so that the cones of the 2 speakers move in the same direction ..

prunchen

Reaction score
and what about if I have a stereo jack chassis? can I use it instead the mono jack?

Ilmung

Reaction score
I do not understand your question , can you give more info ?

Latest Threads