Yamaha THR10C External Speaker Jacks

theaxeman

Reaction score
theaxeman

Great job, i onw THR10C too and i'd like to do like you have done.

It would be great if you shoot more pictures how you have connected the wires coming out of THR speakers to the output jack. Or if you have shoot video making this project, many others might like to do so. As i'm intended to do, but i need more info about this great project.

mister V

The same i'd like to say about your project. U're great
Unfortunately, I don't own the amp any longer. I began a search to try and find a vintage amp a couple of months ago, and sold off some equipment to have the money to buy the new amp.

These are the only pics I have, but it's not difficult to do even with the pics and explanations I have given.

Just be very cautious because the clearance between the jacks and the soldered spots on the PCB are very close, and you could short something out.

Good luck with your project!!

gruzin_1987

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't own the amp any longer. I began a search to try and find a vintage amp a couple of months ago, and sold off some equipment to have the money to buy the new amp.

These are the only pics I have, but it's not difficult to do even with the pics and explanations I have given.

Just be very cautious because the clearance between the jacks and the soldered spots on the PCB are very close, and you could short something out.

Good luck with your project!!

Yes i know, but if i had more info, pictures, videos and demos, i would try it. but for now, i can not risk, i wish i were in usa, i could pay you to help me on this project

theaxeman

Reaction score
Yes i know, but if i had more info, pictures, videos and demos, i would try it. but for now, i can not risk, i wish i were in usa, i will pay you to help me on this project
Thanks for your offer, but I have to decline.

Taking money for doing this project would imply liability for me, and I would rather not take that responsibility.

You aren't the first to offer to pay me to help them or do it for them.

Besides, I am not a vendor and don't want to be seen as such.

We have plenty of vendors here who would be happy to assist you, and I would advise you to seek out one of them. :fingersx:

Goder

Reaction score
theaxeman, mister V
Could you please explaine will this mods that you've done to THR allows to connect external loopers like Boss RC, Digitech Jamman, Ditto, etc. ?
I'd like to connect looper after THR's modeling amp and still get sound through the built-in speakers.
Maybe you can propose another and less complicated solution ))
Thanx in advance!

briandress

Reaction score
Registered here just to say a big thanks to theaxeman. Found this thread while was trying to find how to make a speaker out for the THR10.

I made this mod slightly different - I added a two-pos. switch for switching on/off the THR's own speakers. So I can use the THR as a head with my 1x12 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30, I can make a mini-stack by switching THR's speakers on, and I can fill the whole room with sound by placing the THR in one corner and the cabinet in another.

And again big thanks to theaxeman!

Hello! Hopefully you are still here on the forum. I am very interested in learning how you did the mod with the switch to control the on/off status of the internal speakers. I cant afford a cab but would love to try this with some bookshelf speakers maybe, just wire up the speaker wire to a 1/4 jack and make a 4x8 stack with all 4 speakers going at once. I think it would be pretty cool and hold me over until I can afford a real cab. What do you think?

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this, but I'm not this industrious or skilled.
I've learned running a line from headphone out into a set of powered studio monitors will cover you if bookshelf size is close enough.

BKone

Reaction score
Hallo, my Name ist Björn from Germany.
My English ist very Bad:)
I mod my Yamaha THR10x with External Speaker Jacks at the backside with
Switching Socket and a 5 way Footswitch:)

I've built that Battery Operated working.
Incredible Sound!

This is the Best mod Ever!
High Quality Made in Germany! :)
If they have any Questions, please write me a Message.

Greetings from Germany:)

Its Luke

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics:

Let me say before you start reading, that I do not advocate you try this if you don't have soldering skills, mechanical skills or electrical skills.

Doing the following on a brand new piece of equipment will void the warranty. If you follow what I have done and try to duplicate it, you do so at your own risk. :shock:

This is the bottom of the cabinet after dis-assembly.

Speaker assembly after it's out of the cabinet.

Back of speaker assembly.

Bottom of speaker assembly.

Top with circuit boards attached after pulled off cabinet.

Main circuit board where speaker connector and battery power connects.

Right speaker pulled out of speaker assembly.

Jacks installed inside view.

Jacks installed outside view.

So, it's not hard, but it is tedious because of the tight space.

There are 3 screws in the back right along the seam, 2 screws in the bottom through 2 of the feet, 4 allen screws in the front, and 2 screws in the bottom front.

You do not have to take the screws out of the battery assembly. I started in the back and gently pried up a bit, then moved out front. You need to be careful with the front because of the 2 screw tabs on each end of the bottom of the front that could catch on the internal speakers and tear them.

Lift the front up and over with the speaker wires and battery power cables connected. Once you have the front/top tilted over, you can pull the speaker connector and the battery connector from the main circuit board with needle nose pliers.

There are 2 screws you can see in the inside of the bottom behind the speaker assembly. These screws only need to be loosened enough to get the assembly out of the bottom.

As you can see you have a nice length of speaker wire to work with. I simply cut the wire assembly in half and used the connector as my source to run to the splitting jacks.

Blue (positive) and yellow (negative) are the right speaker. Red (positive) and White (negative) are the left speaker.

As you can see from the speaker picture, the stock internal speakers are 6 Ohms. An 8 Ohm speaker should not cause harm, but I don't know that to be a fact.

I spliced the wire from the source to the splitting jack with a shared ground for each speaker and then spliced back in to the wire running back to the internal speakers.

Each has it's own jack.

I chose to put both jacks on the left side with the right speaker in the rear, and the left closer to the front. The choice was based on space. I still had to clip some ends off of solder joints on the circuit board just to feel safer.

I might even take it back apart today and lower the jack holes a tad bit more to make myself even more comfortable. :hmm:

I hope this is helpful to the THR community. I will be happy to answer any questions if I can.

It was Bilbarstows post in my decision thread that was the deciding factor for buying the 10C, and I thank you for that. :applause:

As to Yamaha actually making this as an option from the factory, I don't think they ever will. The THR series is sold as a concept of quiet practice and portablility. Once you tie an external cab or cabs to it, the portability is much more difficult. Once you hear it through the external speakers, you won't play it with stock speakers again unless you need to be very quiet. :laugh2:
Has anyone else tackled this mod?

VERY interested in this...

I picked up a THR10X this past weekend, and absolutely love the Brown 1 and 2 channels. Would like to be able to play those at high volume and with a FPFR like the Friedman AS-12 for example.

Of course foot switching would be nice for effects and different tones, that would really be icing on the cake.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you just want to get a taste before you dive in,
I'm pleased with the results I'm getting by running a line from the headphone out into either an amp and almost all the time into powered studio monitors.
I won't be tackling the mod because I am satisfied with the results I'm already getting.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basic radio shack mini stereo / dual rca Y cord, two rca-1/4 adaptors, 1 1/4 - mini stereo adaptor. About 10 bucks and 45 seconds to try.
A regular 1/4 1/4 will plug you in an amp.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez! I hope I didn't lie to you!
My TRH with a 1/4 out of headphone to a mini stereo cord into my old audioengine 5's works great. Really great. Using the Y cord into my HS8's I've got a noise. Works perfect with my mustang and my code. Gotta investigate with the THR.

edit: Using the y cord on the THR I had a ground loop problem.
Thanks to the friendly folks at MLP and your friendly neighborhood Radio Shack, all is good.

Like I said, other amps it wasn't needed. THR into single powered speakers it wasn't needed
If you're gonna try my plan with a THR and separately powered speakers, grab you one of these:

DeterOblix

Reaction score
Great job Mister V and The Axeman. I would like to do the same mod for simply being able to plug my Marshall Combo 1x12 amp that has a Creamback speaker in it into the THR10C. I'm pretty good with soldering iron, but not experienced with Speaker wiring. A bit ignorant, actually. So pardon my ignorance when I ask if you could:

Provide more step by step detail on the actual wiring/splicing of specific wires?

If all I'm trying to do is connect my THR to the Creamback speaker in my 1x12 Marshall Combo amp, would I still need two Switchcraft output jacks on the side of the THR? Or one?

Do i buy a mono Swtchcraft output Jacks or stereo jacks?

If you say I need to use both Switchcraft output jacks for it to work, then to connect it to the Creamback Marshall Combo amp speaker, do I need to have a "Y" 1/4 in cable, where it has dual 1/4 ends plug going into each THR output jacks with a single 1/4 that would go into a 1/4 female adapter where on the other end of the adaptor the speaker cable from the Marshall Amp plugs into?

Or am I overcomplicating things?

Any help is appreciated.

theaxeman

Great job, i onw THR10C too and i'd like to do like you have done.

It would be great if you shoot more pictures how you have connected the wires coming out of THR speakers to the output jack. Or if you have shoot video making this project, many others might like to do so. As i'm intended to do, but i need more info about this great project.

mister V

The same i'd like to say about your project. U're great
Registered here just to say a big thanks to theaxeman. Found this thread while was trying to find how to make a speaker out for the THR10.

I made this mod slightly different - I added a two-pos. switch for switching on/off the THR's own speakers. So I can use the THR as a head with my 1x12 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30, I can make a mini-stack by switching THR's speakers on, and I can fill the whole room with sound by placing the THR in one corner and the cabinet in another.

And again big thanks to theaxeman!

DeterOblix

Reaction score
Hi Pop1655,

Great post about using RCA Y cord. I just saw your post and was wondering if you think this would work for what I'm trying to do: Connect my THR 10C to my Marshal DSL 40 Combo amp's 8ohm 1x12 speaker. I have a Creamback in it. Even though it's not cabinet, but an actual Combo amp, the 1/4 speaker wire/plug end is easily accessible on the back. So, my plan is to:

- Plug the 1/8 RCA Y cord into the THR 10C headphone out.
- Buy a male RCA Y cord with a 1/4 Plug end and plug into Y cord coming out of the THR.
- Buy a 1/4 to 1/4 small female adapter so I can bridge together the modified Y Cord and Marshall DSL speaker cable.

Do you think I still need the Radio Shack audio ground loop isolator?

Geez! I hope I didn't lie to you!
My TRH with a 1/4 out of headphone to a mini stereo cord into my old audioengine 5's works great. Really great. Using the Y cord into my HS8's I've got a noise. Works perfect with my mustang and my code. Gotta investigate with the THR.

edit: Using the y cord on the THR I had a ground loop problem.
Thanks to the friendly folks at MLP and your friendly neighborhood Radio Shack, all is good.

Like I said, other amps it wasn't needed. THR into single powered speakers it wasn't needed
If you're gonna try my plan with a THR and separately powered speakers, grab you one of these:

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think I still need the Radio Shack audio ground loop isolator?
All of that was to run into powered monitors and maintain stereo signal.

You want to use it like a pedal. Just think of it as a pedal. Headphone out is not powered. All you need to do is run straight from headphone out to the amp's input.

(I'm not an electrician. I got that tip right here, tried it and enjoyed good results.)

Last edited:

Latest Threads