Ya'll are alright

180gROC

Reaction score
Yeah melons do good here. I grow them up through a garage shelving unit and call it a cantaloupe condo.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
great summer for growing stuff, i grew tomatoes for
years here till our apartments started spraying everytying
outside to kill bugs and mosquitos, i couldnt trust
eating them anymore.

The last plant i had had Indian Tomatoes, kind of purple
color, but great and different taste.

bertzie

Reaction score
To show my appreciation, here's some boobs.

1429187231_fdbab74b92.jpg

180gROC

Reaction score
great summer for growing stuff, i grew tomatoes for
years here till our apartments started spraying everytying
outside to kill bugs and mosquitos, i couldnt trust
eating them anymore.

The last plant i had had Indian Tomatoes, kind of purple
color, but great and different taste.

I'm growing purple cherokees. Probably same tomatoes. I have around 20 different heirloom tomato varieties going. All but a couple are thriving.

Chicken poop, worm compost, regular compost and fish emulsion. All home made and free and things have never grown better.

I was at the bee store today getting parts for the first expansion tomorrow and I found this local raspberry pollen honey. omg! Tastes like someone mixed up honey and raspberry jam. They had jasmine honey that was even more like it's pollen, but I never really thought of jasmine as an eating thing. I just made a waffle with butter and raspberry honey and it was good in ways I can't even describe.

ef335rmodr8vs1vfiso1.jpg

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Florida is full of flora-- duh! And every now and then-- usually while I am trimming my fenceline, I'll find some sort of plant that I've never seen before. So rather than cut it down and clear it out, I will actually cultivate the thing to see what it does...

I've gotten some interesting results. My favorite was a black-and-red variegated coleus sort of thing, wth spade-shaped leaves. But it was an annual, and I haven't seen one like it since.

One time I allowed this woody, stalky, mini-tree thing to grow over the season. Then it budded... and then the buds opened and produced yellow flowers like a honeysuckle, but in tighter clusters... and then damn! This thing's flowers had a weirdly unpleasant, almost sour odor wafting off 'em. Never heard of a flower that smelled really bad before.

To make things even more strange, I also noticed that it attracted flies. I mean, common houseflies swarmed all over this plant's flowers, apparently attracted by the smell.

I've talked to a lot of old timers around here who have been involved in gardening for ages. None of them have ever seen such a plant as I have just described.

I decided that had to cut it down. For one thing, having thousands of flies swarming so near to one's house cannot be a good thing. And also, the nasty odor it produced got worse and worse... my ex started calling it the Shit Blossom Tree... it had to go.

So: any of y'all southeastern tomato growers ever seen such a thing as this? I keep thinking it would make an excellent Valentine's Day bouquet for somebody who really screwed you over...

--R

EnjoGuitar

Reaction score
Never heard of a flower that smelled really bad before.

--R

Check this badboy out:

Amorphophallus titanum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Due to its odor, which is reminiscent of the smell of a decomposing mammal,[1] the titan arum is characterized as a carrion flower, and is also known as the "corpse flower", or "corpse plant" (Indonesian: bunga bangkai – bunga means flower, while bangkai means corpse or cadaver).

The "fragrance" of the titan arum resembles rotting meat, attracting carrion-eating beetles and Flesh Flies (family Sarcophagidae) that pollinate it. The inflorescence's deep red color and texture contribute to the illusion that the spathe is a piece of meat. During bloom, the tip of the spadix is approximately human body temperature, which helps the perfume volatilize; this heat is also believed to assist in the illusion that attracts carcass-eating insects.

391px-Titan-arum1web.jpg

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Check this badboy out:

Whoa, thanks for the heads up... now I know what NOT to plant in my little garden...

Ugh! All I can say is that God must have been in one of His more playfully bizarre moods when he came up with that one!

The color-coordinated rotten-meat insect dupe-out is very interesting. And the temperature-controlled spadix tip was a rather nice touch as well. And suddenly, my shit blossom tree doesn't seem like such a bad thing after all... at least it just smelled kind of nasty. But not as bad as rotten meat!

--R :D

Engel

Reaction score
I'm growing purple cherokees.

My alltime favorite. I started about 10 from seed this year. Only a couple survived the triple digit drought we've had here :( I've got some arkansas travelers that seem to be doing ok and a couple brandywine to make up for the loss. The wife wanted a million romas (I dont care for them that much) and they are doing pretty good.

180gROC

Reaction score
Yeah... the wife wanted Romas. I found heirloom Romas but put down a couple hybrids in case they suffered. It's all doing well.

Slacky did the quickest thread derail ever ever... 2nd post. :applause:

180gROC

Reaction score
Can't remember, it was 25 years ago lol, but I do remember givin em the old "mines male so it's harmless, only the female ones produce tomatos" speech. Didnt work.

My parents were straight hippys. My dad yuppified himself to provide for us. Mom never changed. I'll never forget being 16 and having my dad go ask my mom "Do you know what your son is growing under his bed??" My mom replied "Yes I do... where do you think he got the seeds?"

You could say I was born into a green thumb. :fingersx:

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
Ahhh.....
tomato plants.....
Used to grow 'em as a teen in the sixties.....

I used to spray ping-pong balls red and use green pipe-cleaners to loop them on to stronger side branches. Man they used to grow big and strong too. Damned near got me fired once in my twenties - was growing them in the back of a tropical greenhouse on the site. My Professor called me in and gave me a lecture..... about how, when he was my age and a wild kid in the Australian outback, he used to get high sniffing his old man's aviation kerosene. Then he told me to harvest when the flowers were REALLY heavy with resin, and not to plant any more in future! Man, that old dude EARNED respect :applause:

180gROC

Reaction score
Ahhh.....
tomato plants.....
Used to grow 'em as a teen in the sixties.....

I used to spray ping-pong balls red and use green pipe-cleaners to loop them on to stronger side branches. Man they used to grow big and strong too. Damned near got me fired once in my twenties - was growing them in the back of a tropical greenhouse on the site. My Professor called me in and gave me a lecture..... about how, when he was my age and a wild kid in the Australian outback, he used to get high sniffing his old man's aviation kerosene. Then he told me to harvest when the flowers were REALLY heavy with resin, and not to plant any more in future! Man, that old dude EARNED respect :applause:

I feel lazy now... I just use red ball Christmas ornaments. :naughty:

Blackie

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah... the wife wanted Romas. I found heirloom Romas but put down a couple hybrids in case they suffered. It's all doing well.

Slacky did the quickest thread derail ever ever... 2nd post. :applause:

OOPS .... my bad ....

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
I had a few 'tomato' plants growing in my bedroom closet when I was about 16 years old :slash: ....... my Mom was OK with it but when my Dad got home from the hospital he said the tomato plants had 2 go :laugh2: ..........

Latest Threads