WWYD?

Craig Rainey

Reaction score
Anyone else have one of those guitars where the serial number is stamped lightly? I have a 1976 black standard that I love but purchased from an old guy who apparently wanted the numbers very clear so he stamped right over top of the existing. Absolutely nuts if you asked me... problem is, he got the new numbers wrong!!! Borderline fraudulent in my opinion but even though I know that what I have is a real deal and quality, it still looks bad. And trust me, I looked very carefully and the numbers stamped overtop are not right.

What can I do? Anything? Would Gibson sand and re-stamp? It's great sounding but Is my guitar just forever devalued?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
If I was a potential buyer, I would think that at some point in the guitar's past it had been misappropriated.

Deftone

Reaction score
My 67 SGjr is like that. Someone went over the sn with an engraver. Numbers look right but it has to be taken into consideration when negotiating price IMHO.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I doubt Gibson would do that. And even if they would, the cost and time Gibson will spent on it isn't going to be worth it.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
When I painted the stinger on my Classic, I found a place on eBay that has the numbers for stamping. It’s not hard to fix it yourself. Just take before pics so you have proof

Latest Threads