WTF.. what happened to freedom of speech?

Sinster

Reaction score
I don't know if this was touch on or not. I've been on the road and didn't jump in here much so forgive my ignorance if it has or has been but got removed.

I'm totally pissed that Comedy Central censored Southpark. The big sponsor for CC should pull their ads. That gave into the threats.. Every other religion was poked fun.. I guess those who threaten CC are too fucking stupid to change the channel. To invoke their freedom of choice..

In a statement, Mr. Parker and Mr. Stone wrote: “In the 14 years we’ve been doing ‘South Park’ we have never done a show that we couldn’t stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central, and they made a determination to alter the episode.”

The episode was to end with a speech “about intimidation and fear,” Mr. Parker and Mr. Stone wrote, adding, “It didn’t mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too.”

They continued, “We’ll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different, and we’ll see what happens to it.”

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Freedom of speech is freedom from the gov't restricting or punishing speech. With the exception of speech that incites violence. Who censored the show? It's a cartoon, btw.:rolleyes:

Sinster

Reaction score
Freedom of speech is freedom from the gov't restricting or punishing speech. With the exception of speech that incites violence. Who censored the show? It's a cartoon, btw.:rolleyes:

Anything can incite violence... People are getting killed or beat up cheering for the opposing team. The KKK can march and use their freedom of speech and you are telling me that doesn't incite violence?

So what if it's a cartoon. There's political cartoons in the New York times..

Howard2k

Reaction score
It was not out of hand. Someone probably decided that it was too sensitive a conversation.

Sinster

Reaction score
It was not out of hand. Someone probably decided that it was too sensitive a conversation.

That what gets under my skin. They cater to one but not the others. Why does one get special treatment and when others make stink about theirs it goes nowhere.

Politics + religion = disaster

True..

Now I know why when I did a search it didn't get a hit back.

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Muslims get "extra" respect because they're willing to threaten people with death? Is that the correct answer? Do I get a prize?

nick1962

Reaction score
Agree with you mate - people pander to the bloody muslims in this country too. They refuse to integrate, they dress like they came straight out of a taleban recruitment video, and they are hyper-sensitive. Oh, and what's the big deal about muhammed? A misogynistic old goat who married an 8-year old girl - pervert I'd say.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is those that cannot discuss it like adults that are the disaster.

And that's why those threads end up in the crapper. Kudos to those who can argue opposite viewpoints while remaining civil. It's a sign of maturity at its best.

Sinster

Reaction score
Muslims get "extra" respect because they're willing to threaten people with death? Is that the correct answer? Do I get a prize?

I wouldn't clump all Muslims into that.. just the extremist. Also CC didn't air a South Park episode about Tom Cruise and Scientology..

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Anything can incite violence... People are getting killed or beat up cheering for the opposing team. The KKK can march and use their freedom of speech and you are telling me that doesn't incite violence?

So what if it's a cartoon. There's political cartoons in the New York times..

I simply described what "Freedom of Speech" means. It has nothing to do with what a private corporation decides to broadcast. Nobody's freedom of speech was taken away. I didn't imply or think that the show would incite violence, I was just explaining one of the reasons that the Gov't can interfere with or punish speech. I don't pay any attention to the KKK or South Park.

Yes the NYT has political cartoons.

Howard2k

Reaction score
I wouldn't clump all Muslims into that.. just the extremist. Also CC didn't air a South Park episode about Tom Cruise and Scientology..

Seriously? That was an awesome episode!

Jason

Reaction score
The problem with meeting the demands of crazy assholes is that, by doing so, you're basically telling the world that these morons have a valid point. They don't, and they should be ignored.

kmk108

Reaction score
The problem with meeting the demands of crazy assholes is that, by doing so, you're basically telling the world that these morons have a valid point. They don't, and they should be ignored.

Exactly what I was trying to say in the thread that was closed. The problem is that by doing that, you're running the risk that the "assholes" might actually act on their threat.

kmk108

Reaction score
Politics + religion = disaster :rolleyes:

That's what sucks. There are plenty of people on here that can civilly debate and will even concede when the other side is right. It's a select few that don't know anything about what they're talking about that make threads like these spin down the bowl.

Latest Threads