WTF Is up with this pickguard?

Tanner

Reaction score
So I got a call from my buddy the other day. He tells me "Hey Tanner, I got this fucked up acid trip gone wrong looking bass thats been sitting in my garage for the past 7 years. You want it?" And after having to cut my collection down to just 2 guitars and 1 bass, I said Hell Yeah!! He drops it over a couple days later along with a recliner he was kind enough to give me, I open the case and my jaw drops. Not only is it a vintage Fender Musicmaster, but WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THIS PICKGUARD??

He said it belonged to his Grandfather, who he wasn't very close to, so he's just as confused as I am. The neck and body are definitely original, but the body's definitely been refinished and had some new hardware slapped on it. Other than the volume knob going in reverse for some reason, this thing plays and sounds fantastic. But that still begs the question... what the hell is up with this pickguard?

Side Burns

Reaction score
Thats just all his favorite stuff

that or he dug into the medication on the coffee table.:hippie:

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Man that’s a great score! Your friend basically just dropped you off a shit load of money. It’ll look great once you get it back a little more stock.
That EMG Select pickup - eesh. I know some people like them but for me that’s the only pickup in existence I would want less than the original stock pickup. I’d recommend a 51P pickup instead of going stock, but you could get a custom wound pickup that looks stock and sounds phat.

For the record, I know you didn’t ask but I vote for something Fender correct and absolutely not silverburst!!! Short Scale Basses are getting quite popular currently and the old Fenders are getting shockingly valuable now.

Last edited:

vetteman

Reaction score
Apparently Grandpa wasn't above doing several hits of acid before playing bass. Either that or he was extremely hungry and the pickguard looked like brownies. :slash:

krauley

Reaction score
he clearly forgot to move the calipers while drawing the pickguard outline, also see post #15

lpfan1980

Reaction score
:420:
HUH HUH That guitar is so high MM HUH HUH MMM HUH HUH:hippie:

six-string

Reaction score
whoever 'customized' that pickguard should be beaten!:confused:

Latest Threads