WTF is up with these headstocks?

Joe A

Reaction score
It is not an issue of tolerance or any such thing keyboard warriors are dreaming up.

The historics are positioned closer to the Gibson logo... Why? Because thats where they were in the 50's.

When the reissues came out in 1968 the logo was farther down.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Mine appear to be in the same area like your second picture. And the 3rd pic down doesn't even have the Les Paul silk screen.
1622562328050.png

1622562367863.png

1622562861326.png

Last edited:

dasherf17

Reaction score
The position of the Les Paul silk screen moves from era to era and model to model. The current trend is for Gibson to put the silk screen closer to the logo on Historics and closer to the truss rod cover on USA LPs. If I were to guess, the first photo in the OP is a Historic while the second photo is a USA Standard / Trad from the past few years.
...probably worker to worker...

amgomez

Reaction score
I kind of prefer the look of the 50’s, just cause it looks off. Ahhh.. I like them both. The newer ones just look more symmetrical.
Also, the 50’s version/Reissues have the silkscreen on top of the lacquer.. not under it. That’s why they fade, or you can find vintage Les Paul’s with the silkscreen completely missing.

Peter Mac

Reaction score
Does Gibson really have this wide a tolerance to where they position their headstock silkscreens? These are both from current Reverb listings, and neither looks fake otherwise.

View attachment 540931 View attachment 540932
As a rule of thumb, the Historics and Reissues have the "L" in Paul beside the D-string capstan - as they were placed in the 1950s and applied as a silkscreen.
Regular Production models have theirs inbetween the A and D capstans and are a water-slide transfer so tend to be brighter and less likely to fade over time.
As with all things Gibson, there are variations but this will cover close to 95% of all Les Pauls.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Norlin era placement myself.

fretout

Reaction score
That’s so strange! If these logos were applied via silk screen, Gibson uses a clamp that used the tuning machine holes to locate where the Script goes.
It would be near impossible to have the Script out of place....

B96914B8-4DD6-46B7-8379-D4B8A1A8F0DD.jpeg

There was a time when the Script was a water slide decal, so I would imagine these examples are built during

irocdave12

Reaction score
That’s so strange! If these logos were applied via silk screen, Gibson uses a clamp that used the tuning machine holes to locate where the Script goes.
It would be near impossible to have the Script out of place....

View attachment 541567

There was a time when the Script was a water slide decal, so I would imagine these examples are built during
That’s the Gibson USA shop where they have standard placement. I think these guys are talking mostly reissues done in the Custom shop which is a completely different operation and where the exact placement can vary based upon historic correctness

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the Gibson USA shop where they have standard placement. I think these guys are talking mostly reissues done in the Custom shop which is a completely different operation and where the exact placement can vary based upon historic correctness
Bingo.
The fact that it is silkscreened in a template supports that it is intentional.

What about the headstocks that are long enough for 8 tuners?
Same thing. Gibson changed the design through the years. It's not one builder being sloppy compared to another.

As far as waterslides, I don't think Gibson has ever used waterslides on their midrange and higher lines.

fretout

Reaction score
True, that video and picture are from the USA side. I dont think any of the pictures in this thread show any Custom Shop examples, so it looks likely or this issue is isolated to the USA line.

I’m almost certain the CS uses a similar method/rig to apply the screenings. If you watch the video, Jim confirms that rig is currently in use is exactly how the screenings were originally completed.

But, I play Customs, so I don’t have a dog in this fight. :smoking:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I dont think any of the pictures in this thread show any Custom Shop examples, so it looks likely or this issue is isolated to the USA line.
The very first photo in the thread is an R9.

amgomez

Reaction score
R9s are Silkscreened on top of the Lacquer, and I’m pretty sure they use a jig like the USA version, but an accurate vintage spec.

It’s 100% intentional. It’s differentiate their models. USA placement is where it is modern, more symmetrical.

Latest Threads