WTF is Richie Kotzen?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Its worth swallowing my pride and admitting I'd never heard of the guy (knowingly) just to proclaim how amazing of a musician he is for anyone else who may be in my shoes!

I was watching on YouTube about JD Simo's purple plexi and this video came up next. I'm sitting here reading about people's vehicle's after having just are some pho for dinner and this video is playing. I look up and see a guy in a hood that looks like Chris Cornell. I love Chris Cornell live (Soundgarden studio albums suck, compared to the live shows)! I hear some singing and think "Yep. Chris Cornell" ...but then, something isn't right. ...then the guitar playing starts! Oh, man. This guy is a MONSTER on a Tele with his fingers!

Watch this!

If you just want to break into a sick solo area, skip to about 16 minutes.

TWENTY solo albums?!? I had no idea. He played in Poison! hahaha! He could smoke CC's ass! ...and CC's no slouch!

DavGrape

Reaction score
Oh, yeah; I read about him in Guitar Player in the 80's; I think it came with one of those magazine vinyl records of him.
First time I heard sweep picking.
"Well, " thinks I, "I'm not even gonna try to figure out how he's doing that."

Using that Tele for the whole show... not used to seeing that from an 'axe slinger.' ↑

Last edited:

Axe2Grind

Reaction score
He also replaced Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big for a bit also. I've heard of him since his REH video came out back in the day when he was playing graphic finish ibanez guitars, the big hair and when technique was more important than anything else on guitar.
Ah those were the days. What I didn't know until the mid 2010's was how amazing his voice was. An unbelievably talented guy.

essay

Reaction score
Pretty freaking cool! I just know him from the shred days as a bad-ass guitarist and his brief stint in Poison. I knew he had chops. Impressive voice. Never knew that. Definitely a doppelganger for Cornell. He'd surely be on the short list for a Soundgarden mach II.

Latest Threads