WTB: UPDATED - 2001-2019 Gibson R8

PJfan1986

Reaction score
Updated my thread and expanded on the years...looking for a R8 anywhere from 2001 to present. Would prefer plain burst finish but willing to entertain flames. Would prefer iced tea or sunburst. Not interested in tobacco burst (but again, entertain me). Got a gig coming up in Feb and would need something soon. BUT I do have time and it's not the end of the world if I don't find something in the next few months/

Would prefer to make the deal in Canada but then again, let's talk.

Budget: $2300-2500 USD ($3000 - $3300 CAD) depending on condition and year.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Your budget is important to sellers..

snakeface

Reaction score
I have 2 R8s in iced tea finish for sale, pls see my reverb ads, I can do a better price if we do it though paypal gift

snakeface

Reaction score
The prices you see might be in Canadian dollar....send me a msg in private if you are interested

filtersweep

Reaction score
It is your money. I have a 2014-- it is excellent. In 2013 they began using the Custom Buckers, if I recall-- which as as good as any modern made Gibson pickup. Also, the 2012s had laminated fretboards-- or two piecers. Just an FYI-- if you are not aware.... or if you even care.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Damn. I just paid a little under $4.5k for my 2018 R8, but I'm in New Zealand and the prices over here seem to sit a lot higher than it does in the States

PJfan1986

Reaction score
It is your money. I have a 2014-- it is excellent. In 2013 they began using the Custom Buckers, if I recall-- which as as good as any modern made Gibson pickup. Also, the 2012s had laminated fretboards-- or two piecers. Just an FYI-- if you are not aware.... or if you even care.
Are you selling your 2014? lol. Yeah I heard about the 2012 having the laminated fretboards. I don't care for it as long as it sounds decent (which I'm sure it would). Of course, I wouldn't want to pay premium for either. Realistically, what would you say a 2012 would go for?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Yeah I can't wait. I traded in a couple of guitars for it and am just sorting out the last payment, I'm really going to appreciate it once I have it in my hands as I have sacrificed quite a bit for it.

I'm buying through a store but I know the guy that sold it to the store, so he's been able to give me a ton of info on it which has been really helpful as it's a lot $$$ for me to put down on a 'sight unseen' LP! All the best with your R8 hunting

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
I know the market pretty well and your looking at a 2011, to around 2004, well used plain top for that price range. Which would still be a great guitar. But in 2013 the glues and fret markers changed (among other things) and the price jumped a little. After 2015 the prices jumped quite a bit. 2012's was a transition year and prices are variable because of the layered fretboards that year- some think its noteworthy and others don't.... You might find a decent Gold top in almost any year for your budget....But you could get lucky...Best of luck finding your dream machine!

PJfan1986

Reaction score
I know the market pretty well and your looking at a 2011, to around 2004, well used plain top for that price range. Which would still be a great guitar. But in 2013 the glues and fret markers changed (among other things) and the price jumped a little. After 2015 the prices jumped quite a bit. 2012's was a transition year and prices are variable because of the layered fretboards that year- some think its noteworthy and others don't.... You might find a decent Gold top in almost any year for your budget....But you could get lucky...Best of luck finding your dream machine!
Spot on man. I did update my thread to capture more years. Honestly, I love this forum. People here have nothing been but helpful and informative. Definitely need to be patient and I'm sure something will come my way. Again, appreciate the detailed response. Please PM me if you spot anything that I've missed. Thanks a ton!

PJfan1986

Reaction score
hit this ....

it says auction .... but those are nice and it has a pretty nice top for an R8
I'll be honest...not my cup of tea when it comes to the flames and it's a "boring" color (just my preference). Nevertheless, great guitar. He's not shipping to Canada though...

Latest Threads