WTB LPC 79-82 in Silverburst

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thought I’d post this here as well, since these are in the correct era.
Anyway! As the title says. I’m wanting to buy a Gibson Les Paul Custom from the years 79-82 in Silverburst.
Needs to be in good condition. Thanks!!

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now the waiting game begins, but they will come up!

And in much better shape than that other beater you were looking at.

For others who haven't seen it, I'm not against mojo and beat up well played guitars with paint missing, dings, sweat tarnished hardware and dead skin plugging up the TOM, but I'm hard pressed to justify paying top dollar for one.

Guy was asking near mint price for a war machine....

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Now the waiting game begins, but they will come up!

And in much better shape than that other beater you were looking at.

For others who haven't seen it, I'm not against mojo and beat up well played guitars with paint missing, dings, sweat tarnished hardware and dead skin plugging up the TOM, but I'm hard pressed to justify paying top dollar for one.

Guy was asking near mint price for a war machine....
I can wait. I have other things to do in the mean time.... like constantly think about owning one.
Seriously though, I love waiting around and looking for my next acquisition! :D
I''m not expecting a guitar of that age to be 'mint', but in well looked after played condition. Respected.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
I''m not expecting a guitar of that age to be 'mint', but in well looked after played condition. Respected.
Correct, big difference!

My 82 arrived with 34 years of well played wear on the frets, I had it re-fretted..

But otherwise it was cared for enough to still look as good as it does today...

They are out there, even closet queens. Speaking of which, where's @scottyk ?

I saw him lurking about the other day.. He has a gorgeous 82 that's a closet queen that he found.

Can you post that up Scotty? I feel a need to drool anyway....

gball

Reaction score
I can wait. I have other things to do in the mean time.... like constantly think about owning one.
Seriously though, I love waiting around and looking for my next acquisition! :D
You can still find them in amazing condition if you are patient. I wanted one, literally, since they were first released but for one reason or another never managed to get one and it seemed like they were all trashed when I got serious about finding one. But, I bought my '79 just about 2 years ago - lacquer has well and truly turned yellow, but the guitar is otherwise close to mint; all original, no mods, minimal/no fret wear still has all the paint on the back of the neck (I've owned bunch of other maple-necked Customs from the era and they all had wood showing to one degree or another).

Daniel.S

Reaction score

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Oh yeah, there was a ‘79 listed yesterday for $7500au hahaha not including shipping

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s the original seller who sold it to the one I showed you haha!
You mean, he beat THIS one to death??? Wow! He must be a monster player!

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
You can still find them in amazing condition if you are patient. I wanted one, literally, since they were first released but for one reason or another never managed to get one and it seemed like they were all trashed when I got serious about finding one. But, I bought my '79 just about 2 years ago - lacquer has well and truly turned yellow, but the guitar is otherwise close to mint; all original, no mods, minimal/no fret wear still has all the paint on the back of the neck (I've owned bunch of other maple-necked Customs from the era and they all had wood showing to one degree or another).
Good to see you again, Gball!! :cheers:

bgh

Reaction score
OP, hope you find one. If everyone else who owns one is like me, they may not want to get rid of it. Great, great guitars. When you find one, you will fall in love. I did.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
OP, hope you find one. If everyone else who owns one is like me, they may not want to get rid of it. Great, great guitars. When you find one, you will fall in love. I did.
Seems all the thrashed ones are up for sale haha. Like you said great guitars so all the good ones are kept.

Reactions: bgh

ARandall

Reaction score
Given the scarcity and the Tool connection, I feel that (barring a miracle where the seller doesn't know what they have) you will be spending a lot of money to find one in good condition.

scottyk

Reaction score
Correct, big difference!

My 82 arrived with 34 years of well played wear on the frets, I had it re-fretted..

But otherwise it was cared for enough to still look as good as it does today...

They are out there, even closet queens. Speaking of which, where's @scottyk ?

I saw him lurking about the other day.. He has a gorgeous 82 that's a closet queen that he found.

Can you post that up Scotty? I feel a need to drool anyway....
Hey D, I'm still around.
I'm actually in the process of updating pix of the Queen.
She's a 1980 by the way.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Given the scarcity and the Tool connection, I feel that (barring a miracle where the seller doesn't know what they have) you will be spending a lot of money to find one in good condition.
How much is a lot? :)

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, more than the average for that era, condition and guitar. I'm not only LH but located in Aus.....So I don't have much of an insight into the local market.
I just know that like a 1970s white Custom has a premium on its price due to the Randy factor, the original era silverburst has the Tool premium. And getting a good condition of such a desired guitar will most likely attract a greater premium than a generic custom.