WTB: Fender Thicknecked Strat

BigJim

Reaction score
Another on TGP:

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I appreciate any guidance that could be given. I have turned to the wildwoods, because I have owned or tried out a few (a MIM, an American Standard, an AVRI 62 and currently have a MIJ 62 w/ 57/62 pickups and a 920D 50s wiring harness) and I have loved/liked many aspects of them and really enjoy the tone of my current strat with those pickups and harness. I just can't come to terms with the neck. I started on an epi LP with a thick neck and when I have moved to an LP with a thinner neck, I don't really connect with them. Currently I have an R8 and an R0 LP Special which has a '58 style neck and I just love them. I have tried one thicker necked strat and it felt more natural to me. SO I am hoping that my be the right sauce for me. From my research, those wildwood thin skins are the most consistently fatter necked strats, without going custom shop. So really what I am looking for is a thicker necked strat model. I do have the preference for a rosewood fretboard, but otherwise I am opened minded to other models I may not be aware of, so any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for replying to my post.
If you like fatter-necked strats, one of the very very best Strats I've ever played was a 2014 Limited Edition 60th Anniversday '54 AVRI reissue. In fact I owned it for a year before selling it for my Wildwood '54 Thin Skin; the 60th Anniversary might have sounded a tad bit better and was lighter weight (different wood? I forget), but I didn't like the 60th Anniversary neck. It was very large and had the vintage 7.25" radius, but it's something that you might consider.

There was also a 2004 Limited Edition 50th Anniversary '54 Reissue Strat that is a fantastic guitar; I owned one of those, but it was stolen, sadly.

Keep in mind that for those limited edition models, every Strat produced that year had a neckplate on them that commemorated the anniversary, even the regular American Standards, etc. Make sure that you're getting the actual limited edition models with custom shop pickups and other different specs (only available in 2-tone sunburst and maple fretboard, for instance). The others are just plain old Standard Strats.

There are many many Strats out there, it just depends on what you're looking for. Good luck with your search, I finally just gave up and realized that I'm not a Strat guy. I only ever played mine at home by myself, I could never get them to work for me in a band or anything.

Reactions: HJR

HJR

Reaction score
Continuing to research fat necked strats and came upon the nonecks from music zoo. Now those sound intriguing. Any experience from people?

Latest Threads