WTB: Epiphone ‘Amos’ Flying V

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve got GAS for a Korina V after borrowing one for a gig, but can’t justify jumping for a high end one, so thought I’d seek out one of the limited edition JB Epi Amos V’s and do a full vintage refin/makeover on it..
Please let me know if you have one you’d part with- condition is irrelevant but it must have a dark board.
Cheers! J@S

Sharky

Reaction score
oh man, there was one in the ebay classifieds last week and I was already tempted. Unfortunately it was gone in a day or so. Only found a case: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Epiphone-Case-Koffer-fur-Joe-Bonamassa-1958-Amos-braun-pink/323733383017?hash=item4b60036769:g:j8YAAOSw4fpch6r8

and one with a nice and dark board in the US: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Joe-Bonamassa-Flying-V-Guitar-AMOS-w-custom-OHSC/264286895336?hash=item3d88b9fce8:g:2-sAAOSwECtctqev

I had the same idea BTW. Purchasing the Amos and have it made over like the pair from HM https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/historic-makeover-pix-flying-v-and-explorer.216243/

Last edited:

DDF

Reaction score
There was one for sale at Thunderroad Guitars. But it's already 'on hold'.

Sharky

Reaction score
Argh! That HM thread makes my GAS even worse!!
yes, those are really done beautifully. They look authentic in my book. I have seen Schenker's V some years back and if I only had one tad more criminal energy, I would have grabbed it right away. Really wonderful guitar

asapmaz

Reaction score
Those Amos V's are very cool. I had a really lightweight one, close to 7lbs. Sounded incredible out of the box, too. The snob in me just couldn't live with the veneer construction. :(

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those Amos V's are very cool. I had a really lightweight one, close to 7lbs. Sounded incredible out of the box, too. The snob in me just couldn't live with the veneer construction. :(
Apparently the Amos’ are two solid pieces of Korina, unlike the Epi Ltd ‘58s and other Epi V’s, which is why I wanted one.. I’ll shoot a stinger on the headstock rear to hide the scarf joint neck, and it should be a cool player :)

asapmaz

Reaction score
The Amos V's are absolutely veneered. Some, wishfully, have not been able to find the veneer lines but believe me they absolutely all use a core of lower quality piece of Korina with face veneers that are formed from thin pieces of higher grade korina.
Do you honestly think Gibson would use two large solid pieces of Korina on a signature model and only charge $800-1000, even if it's an Epiphone product?
They hardly have enough for the Gibson runs of Korina, let alone Epiphone.
The neck joint and the raised logo are the only improvements from the Epi Ltd and other Epi V's but that's it.
If you don't believe me, check carefully when you receive yours.

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The Amos V's are absolutely veneered. Some, wishfully, have not been able to find the veneer lines but believe me they absolutely all use a core of lower quality piece of Korina with face veneers that are formed from thin pieces of higher grade korina.
Do you honestly think Gibson would use two large solid pieces of Korina on a signature model and only charge $800-1000, even if it's an Epiphone product?
The neck joint and the raised logo are the only improvements from the Epi Ltd and other Epi V's but that's it.
I’ll have to take that up with Joe next time our paths cross..

Curious George

Reaction score
I second @asapmaz...that thing sounded amazing... i couldnt believe it. Wish i would have bought it from him!

Moni

Banned
Reaction score

No they are not veneered thankfully :) , I own one. A true two-piece body made of Korina. I also owned the other "regular" Limited Edition Korina V with black guard which is veneered.

Here’s mine :)

1BCE2DC8-5417-4BC8-941F-E38998A58156.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads