WTB: Best Gibson LP for $3k

Angelus

Reaction score
The best thing to is to try it if you can... so many different things to look, sound of course but neck profile 60s 50s or 59, different years means different sounds, custom shop, 90s lp or an older one.... nobody can answer good but you.
One thing is sure : only a Gibson is good enough ! ;)

zdoggie

Reaction score
if your not used to playing a lespaul you should go to as many storesas you can and sample their wares look especially at the neck shape I personally haven't found a fender thats feels like a paul I perfer a rosewood board the les paul is a completely different animal from a fender I have 4 lp's and 2 fenders 1 strat 1 telecaster and I always go for the gibson.I wouldn't worry too much about the sound as there a myriad of pickups to choose from.
good luck zdoggie

myoldfriend

Suffers from GAS
Reaction score
For about half of your budget you can get a used Heritage, made at 225 Parsons (the real deal) AND have enough to score an amp to go along with.

Big electric cat

Reaction score
Get a used good L.P. Standard and put a set of Fralin 8k 9k pickups in it. Then with the $300 you have left over get some edibles and a nitrous oxide tank with some balloon's and throw a party. Good luck!

My 56 and my dog, I love them both!

Screenshot_2020-07-22-19-52-10.png

Last edited:

Brock Winslow

Reaction score
I change my vote to what this guy ^ said, except also consider throbaks and I dunno about the nitro lol

jamhandy

Reaction score
What do I have?

I spent a whopping $150 on a 2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro... it came with the Epiphone LP case at that price.
- didn't have a pickguard or mounting hardware (the kid had somehow lost it)
- had no strap buttons (lost them, too I guess, never did hear)
- the push/pull on the neck pickup was busted
- one of the amber top hats was cracked
- Epiphone Alnico Classic pups sounded like ice picks scratching on a chalkboard

Bought a Jesus-themed PG from GeasyGroove (got the PG hardware on Amazon for cheap)

- Gutted any and all electronics, reamed the potentiometer holes for USA pots
- Bought 4 black USA-sized speed knobs
- Bought a new set of Dunlop strap buttons (the female part) about $5
- Replaced the push/pull pots, toggle, jack, push-back white/black wires, braided wires to switch, caps
- Wired everything 50s/vintage style

- Replaced the pickups with 2 brand new Dimarzio John Petrucci Dream Catcher (bridge) and Rainmaker (neck)

Epi LP Trad Pro Guitar & Epi LP Case = $150.00
Guts & Pups = $250

Total $400...

Saved $2,600

I think the best guitar you can get for $3,000 is one that has a story or a past that has a story.

Now I own a guitar with tons of tones, all dinged up (the "natural" relic process- give it to a kid on his 10th birthday, let him abuse it until he's 18 and sells it for $150 case included, LOL) so that I'm not scared to death to play it. and it is my "I can't keep my hands off it" guitar.

Plus now it is the only one exactly like it anywhere in the world.....

Well, that's what I'd do if I had $3,000.... you asked.......

DSCF1319sm.jpg

DSCF1330sm.jpg

DSCF1324sm--.jpg

I named it "The Holy Trinity"... (Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove on the PG from GreasyGroove)
- sounds like heaven....

Last edited:

Pickslide

Reaction score
Not exactly an LP but I have a Teye Coyote I might be selling for under $2k

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve bought a nice burst 2008 Traditional for 1,600 & a 2007 ebony R8 for 2,700 over the last year, both are great guitars, haven’t tried the new Standards but they sound nice, lots of options!
D17923F2-58E4-4317-BDF8-482246DA2215.jpeg
83CF0980-9EC1-4434-95C3-12FFCF2655D5.jpeg

Last edited:

asapmaz

Reaction score
You want the best LP for $3k? Look for a goldtop Steve Hague replica. :)
You want close to best but easily resellable LP for $3k? Get a 2013-2018 R8. :)

rhys1157

Reaction score
My advice... Buy a nice used Standard or Traditional in the $1500 - $1800 range. Having owned two R8s, I just couldn't justify the additional $$$. They are great guitars, don't get me wrong, but not 2x better than a really nice $1500 Traditional. If I had $3000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd drop $2K on a killer Standard, Trad, or old Classic, then score a nice tube amp for $1K. If you insist on spending all of that $3K on a guitar, then, by all means, look for a nice R7, R8, or R0 (if you can find a worthy candidate). The market is kinda crazy right now, so finding a nice example of one of those isn't as easy as it was last year. Better yet, buy a nice Trad and stuff some Custom Buckers in it.
I totally hadn’t thought of the pick up swap In a traditional. Great idea. I personally love my 2017 trad. I agree totally that a set of custombuckers in it would really give you a great playing and sounding guitar. Definitely save you few bucks if that matters

adamfox

Reaction score
I wanted to jump in here since I am thinking of doing something similar. Can anyone elaborate on some of the more modern models? Like the traditional variants, classic variants, standard variants, etc? That and any notable years where things changed?
Same thing for the historic ones. People keep mentioning certain eras of R8 for example. Anything to help someone who has been out of the LP game for a while and looking to get back in in a big way.

notslavvy

Reaction score
The best LP for $3k is a LP/SG

mjross

Reaction score
Get a new 50’s and put the extra grand in your pocket (with discount). These new Gibson 50’s Les Pauls are an amazing buy for the money. Gibson is back!

Edit: sorry this is for a lefty but it’s the same for a righty. Nice guitars!

uncajoey

Reaction score
Easy! A 2001 LP Classic Premium Plus in Lightburst. Add the pickups of your choice, and you’re killing it for under three grand. They’re still out there for a little over $2000, so you can put nearly any pickup you want into a very very killer guitar.
8E7D3C69-CA24-49B5-B5DD-B7AA32FEB15A.jpeg

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’ve bought a nice burst 2008 Traditional for 1,600 & a 2007 ebony R8 for 2,700 over the last year, both are great guitars, haven’t tried the new Standards but they sound nice, lots of options!
View attachment 498026 View attachment 498027
Damn, if you had just increased your budget a little and not tried so hard to save money you could have afforded truss rod covers, too.

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, if you had just increased your budget a little and not tried so hard to save money you could have afforded truss rod covers, too.
Humidity levels in my area are always changing, just too lazy to keep putting them on & taking them off again when they need a slight tweak, but hey - I guess it’s important to keep ‘em covered to some.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Humidity levels in my area are always changing, just too lazy to keep putting them on & taking them off again when they need a slight tweak, but hey - I guess it’s important to keep ‘em covered to some.
You don't want to get dust and dirt down there!

Latest Threads