WTB: Best Gibson LP for $3k

dmac in SC

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new Gibson guitars are sensational, and pretty much everybody else's are the same or close to being so.. the 'new' (on line) market and prices allow for returns if you don't like what you get...no complaints from the dealers...in most cases, people keep what they buy, because again, the guitars are fantastic

Olds442

Reaction score
what kind of neck size do you bond with?

rhys1157

Reaction score
This post is kinda silly. All these suggestions and no one has an idea what is best for the OP. An R8 can be a great guitar but what if the OP can't stand thick necks? Then it's not so great.

There is no one objective best Les Paul for $3K.
party pooper

R8 if you like fat necks
R0 if you like skinny necks
2020 special if you wanna save money
2000 les Paul classic if you like green inlays
SG if you have back issues
5 epiphones if you’re into quantity

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just went to my local store and saw the new LP Standards. They are quite nice and way below my budget.

Thoughts on a 60s version vs. a used G0?
Find a nice used 60s Standard for under $2k. That’s my advice. G0s are nice guitars, but I’ve never played one and thought it was worth the premium. If you’re considering a reissue, the best option is post 2013, which in most cases will be above the $3k mark.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find a nice used 60s Standard for under $2k. That’s my advice. G0s are nice guitars, but I’ve never played one and thought it was worth the premium. If you’re considering a reissue, the best option is post 2013, which in most cases will be above the $3k mark.
Ah. You just burst my bubble. My R9 is 2010
1604372495223.png

Nah, SERIOUSLY, I've been considering moving on my R9 in order to get a '90s Historic (ideally a '95) OR aanother Prehistoric (I have a really nice '89, but I need to acquire some Bill Lawrences for it). I really dig the Prehistorics as well as the early '90s

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. You just burst my bubble. My R9 is 2010
View attachment 497711

Nah, SERIOUSLY, I've been considering moving on my R9 in order to get a '90s Historic (ideally a '95) OR aanother Prehistoric (I have a really nice '89, but I need to acquire some Bill Lawrences for it). I really dig the Prehistorics as well as the early '90s
I'm sure it's a fine guitar. I'm just referencing the most true to Historic Spec, which is why must would want to upgrade over a regular Standard.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you end up gravitating toward the Standard 50s, do yourself a favor and find an R8 with which you can do a direct comparison.

I bet you end up choosing the Historic.

:io:
Maybe. My 2012 R8 wasn't significantly better built, better sounding, better looking, or better playing than any Standard or Trad I've owned. Great guitar, just not light years beyond any other LP I've owned. Not even close. Then again, it all comes down to the individual guitar. Maybe he'll find a R8 that knocks his socks off.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a fine guitar. I'm just referencing the most true to Historic Spec, which is why must would want to upgrade over a regular Standard.
No doubt, My Friend; I was just teasing. It plays real well and has like a .92 neck at the 1st. By far my fattest. But it is very comfy

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe. My 2012 R8 wasn't significantly better built, better sounding, better looking, or better playing than any Standard or Trad I've owned. Great guitar, just not light years beyond any other LP I've owned. Not even close. Then again, it all comes down to the individual guitar. Maybe he'll find a R8 that knocks his socks off.
The Standards I own and have owned are truly amazing. I've not yet owned a Traditional, but I see no reason why they would be of any lesser quality.

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
My advice... Buy a nice used Standard or Traditional in the $1500 - $1800 range. Having owned two R8s, I just couldn't justify the additional $$$. They are great guitars, don't get me wrong, but not 2x better than a really nice $1500 Traditional. If I had $3000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd drop $2K on a killer Standard, Trad, or old Classic, then score a nice tube amp for $1K. If you insist on spending all of that $3K on a guitar, then, by all means, look for a nice R7, R8, or R0 (if you can find a worthy candidate). The market is kinda crazy right now, so finding a nice example of one of those isn't as easy as it was last year. Better yet, buy a nice Trad and stuff some Custom Buckers in it.
I'll second this. I had an R8 for a while, but it just wasn't leaps and bounds better than my Traditional. My Traditional is upgraded with the full line of CreamTone parts to make it as close to a 59' as possible, but I still don't have $3K in it!

Oddball667

Reaction score
...got a 1993 les paul for $150 , and probably wouldn't trade it for the one you would pay $3k for.
Just saying its not about price , but feel and sound. It is a musical instrument after all and ment to be played.

Harley90

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me, busted the budget up to get what I wanted....I wound up with 2 guitars in that range. A les paul custom in white ( dream guitar) and an '03 R8...R8 is better but they are both different. I do like the snap of the custom. Harder rock styles, custom....everything else R8 '03....I have a traditional that also is a daily player...would be satisfied even it it was my only guitar..Pro III model I think with the out phase and boost knobs, rarely use those but adds a different flavor and surprises people, kinda fun, Rock beast...High End Pauls are worth the money. You won't stop at one.

Latest Threads