WTB: 1976-1982 Gibson Les Paul Pro Deluxe

domigit

Reaction score
This is my white whale. The only other post I have on this forum is of an ad from a local seller. Unfortunately, the day before we were supposed to meet up, I got a text saying, "the wife convinced me not to sell it, sorry bro" which is about the least likely thing any musician has ever said.

But regardless, I've been passively scanning ads for the better part of a year now. I've seen a few come and go through this website, but I've been checking my local Craigslist, Kijiji, Reverb, and eBay. I've had the absolute worst luck (see above) trying to get a hold of one of these guitars, so I figure I'll be proactive and put out a feeler. Hopefully someone has one sitting around they'd be willing to let go for a reasonable price.

Make: Gibson
Model: Les Paul Pro Deluxe
Years: 1976-1982
Finish: Strongly prefer Ebony. Will consider the bursts.
Pickups: MUST have original P90s.
Condition: Flexible. I'll absolutely pay for a cleaner example, but I'm absolutely fine with player's grade wear and tear.
No headstock repairs or refinishes.

I know it's a longshot, but I figure with the amount of knowledge here, someone has to know someone.

As a final important note, I'm up in Toronto Canada, and I'm absolutely willing to factor whatever the shipping costs may be into the deal.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Aww :headbanger: man that sucks ive seen a couple in snoops around net land best of luck.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a black '78 myself. Great axe. Shouldn't break the bank too bad.

domigit

Reaction score
Vinnie, I saw your post in the Norlin section. I love that guitar. It's got so much character especially in all of the aged cream plastic. You gotta put up a sound clip!

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
That is strange, there are several on reverb right now (amd there always are several on there) including a couple in Ebony???

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
then you've seen what they're asking for them. unreal.

I paid a lot less for mine recently.

domigit

Reaction score
That is strange, there are several on reverb right now (amd there always are several on there) including a couple in Ebony???
Well, one is in London England and they're asking an exorbitant amount of money for it.
The one in Florida would work to $5k Canadian shipped to my door, which is way above market value.
And the other one is about 5 hours north of me. I've messaged the shop and mentioned that it's been listed for a while and I'd be willing to pay a more fair price, but I haven't received a response.

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, they usually go for around $2500USD or so in good condition. Great guitars, and good luck in your search. Be patient - the right one will come along in due time.

Last edited:

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Those aren't selling prices, they are asking prices....big difference.

matter of fact, if you really look at reverb, you will see that very few have been moving.....

I know why too.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think $2,500 is at/near absolute top of the market for a really clean one. One of the more typical ones with a good handful of dents and dings and a lot of the paint worn off the back of the neck is more like $1,800-2k.

domigit

Reaction score

matter of fact, if you really look at reverb, you will see that very few have been moving.....

I know why too.
I'm not sure I see your point. Are we agreeing? If the asking prices on the sold listings are all around $2300, then the sale price will never be higher than asking price. So the ones currently on Reverb are astronomically priced (in my opinion)

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
they are astronomically priced and that is the point.

do this, go to reverb, use the price guide feature and type in gibson les paul pro deluxe and then click on whichever color (Ebony is always higher, so use it), and tell me what you see.

That is their "real-true sales" on that site for the last year or so.

Les Paul Pros are $1600-$1800 instruments on their best day....there have been a very small number of outlier high prices that happened and then people started putting theirs up for sale thinking they would make a windfall......and the market has stalled on them, because people that know these guitars, know better.

hell, you can buy a late 70's Custom for $2300-$2500 cash....ask me how I know.

Last edited:

myoldfriend

Suffers from GAS
Reaction score

I know why too.
Ya it doesn’t take a genius to see that the market is softer than Larry King’s stool and that Reverb is now collecting sales tax “on our behalf” in the US.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love that GT. Naturally the guy puts it up for sale AFTER I bought my black one.

Last edited: