WTB - 1958 Reissue - R8

jvolk

Reaction score
I'm testing the forum advice I have been reading that I can find an R8 in the $3k range. I am hoping that is true. I would prefer something newer but I am open to all options. Please let me know if you have something in the $3k ballpark.

Lkdog

Reaction score
Used market has really changed in past couple years. Used to be able to find decent R8’s all day long in 2500 range. Nice tops would be 3000 range.

Add 600 or more to that now. Look on CL or FB also. Try The Gear Page, too.

jvolk

Reaction score
Used market has really changed in past couple years. Used to be able to find decent R8’s all day long in 2500 range. Nice tops would be 3000 range.

Add 600 or more to that now. Look on CL or FB also. Try The Gear Page, too.
I appreciate this information. The data is supporting your statements as the $3k range R8's seem rare.

jvolk

Reaction score
Ok, here is a guy who is asking pre Covid insanity price. Nice plaintop only 2700.

Gibson R8
Thank you for this lead. I've reached out to them. That is the type of deal that will convince me to drive a little.

Metlking

Reaction score
Carter Vintage has this beauty. I'm afraid thats the current Covid going rate in most cases!

THAWK819

Reaction score
I'd love to know where this supply of sub $4k R8's is being sold. Maybe it's on local market sites? I've had my eye on them and the lowest R8 I've seen was $4k (plain top in the calssifieds on this site right now). Most specimens, especially with any kind of burst top, seem to be at least $4,500 in most places.

DEMENTED

Reaction score
Those days are pretty much gone. R8's are $3800 and up now. More flame will be more money also.

Lkdog

Reaction score
They are around.
There are a couple really nice ones on TGP for 3800.

There is also an R7 on there for 2895 with stock pickups

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
Be careful with WTB posts! I’ve had some real scum trying to sell me shit they do not own. One even sent me a pic of my own guitar!

Oh yeah, I’m afraid the 3K R8’s are few and far between. You might luck out and find one where the seller is not paying attention, jump on it, jump on it now! In todays market you have to not be afraid to pull the trigger, good deals do not hang around long.

Last edited:

integra evan

Reaction score
I sold a really nice 2009 R8 back in July of 2019 for $2650.
That's one I regret selling. Lol

Haprom

Miserable Bastard
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent weeks looking for the perfect plaintop R8. I finally found this one that checked every box, and then two days later a build slot opened up with a replica guy who had previously said he was booked solid for months.

Those of you who know me know how particular I am about Historics. This is a special one. It's as light as I could find (8.3 pounds) without sacrificing the low-end power that I think makes the LP sound. It's as late of an '18 as you can get - literally finished on New Year's Eve - so it has all the '19 specs: Carmelita top carve, aged inlays, unpotted Custombuckers, improved audio taper pots and real PIO caps. It's a beast. No joke, this guitar thoroughly smokes my '21 R9. I don't know if it's the thicker neck profile (still not clubby at .91 to 1.01, feels like a pre-Carmelita R9) or what, but the resonance and sustain are fantastic.

I sifted through many, many plaintop R8s before finding and playing this in person at a shop in NY. I was instantly smitten. It's in like-new shape, with only some very light surface pick flicks just below the bottom of the guard. Still has than sweet vanilla smell, and no binding bleed. It looks and feels like a brand new guitar. The lemon color is beautiful, looks different in varying light but has a strong "real Burst" vibe to it. Just an outstanding Historic in every way.

Price is $4K shipped CONUS, better than anything else you'll find with similar specs on the used market. Original case, COA, paperwork, hang tags. Happy to answer any questions, by email or phone if you reach out for my number. Thanks!

View attachment 586236

View attachment 586237

View attachment 586238

View attachment 586239

View attachment 586240

View attachment 586241

View attachment 586242

View attachment 586243

View attachment 586244
Drop the Panties,,, Put your Big Boy Pants On,,, Pony the Fuck up, and Buy this ...

judson

Reaction score
how can you not buy this when you have found out the sub $3k market is no longer....this will be the best money you will spend. i bought my R8 and was amazed it was everything everyone had said about them..

i put these pics here for my own enjoyment as i love to look at beauties like this all day....if this doesnt do it for you i dont know what will...im out :iough:

1644023901551.png

1644023949306.png

jvolk

Reaction score
how can you not buy this when you have found out the sub $3k market is no longer....this will be the best money you will spend. i bought my R8 and was amazed it was everything everyone had said about them..

i put these pics here for my own enjoyment as i love to look at beauties like this all day....if this doesnt do it for you i dont know what will...im out :iough:

View attachment 588859

View attachment 588860
That stunning beaut is a temptation. I like the fact that is clearly coming from someone that has a great reputation. However, I'm not giving up on the lower price point market yet. Granted that market doesn't contain anything like this one, might have some bumps and rash and might not have a COA but I'll keep looking. I wish this guitar would sell as it is truly a temptation.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a chambered reissue R8… but it’s not sub 3k …$ 4200

Prices are all over the place..

Latest Threads