Wrap around bridges

Scottz

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Special or Junior in the very near future. I was wondering how good intonation is or if there is a benefit in buying an adjustable bridge upgrade.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have six guitars with wrap tail bridges. One is uncompensated and the other five are lightning bar. I have no intention of replacing any of them as they all sound good to me.
The benefit of buying an adjustable bridge goes to the seller, unless the guitar builder messed up the stud placement ;)

moreles

Reaction score
Depends on what sounds you like. If you're going to play really clean, you may find that a cast bridge, even if it has cast-in "intonation" for each string, that is only adjustable at the studs will not be spot-on enough for you. If you play with breakup or OD or distortion, inexactness may not really be audible. I play prety clean and intonation is important to me, buyt nevertheless a cast Mojoaxe bridge did the job for me, and I did not have to get an intonatable unit as I had thought I would need to do.

Imperial

Reaction score
My only guitar with a wraptail bridge is a 2020 Junior. Intonation is really good. Definitely good enough for both clean and dirty sounds, no issues whatsoever.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop bars are fine,... The way i fret chords intonation only needs to be approximate....super accurate intonation only makes me sound off. My upper fret solos often have a lot of vibrato, intonation often comes from my fingers as i'm always bending or squeezing the strings....but that's just me. It's how i play,...other people differ.

NotScott

Reaction score
I was concerned about the intonation worries I read about until I bought my first wraptail. I found the intonation to be close enough with a stock wraptail. Any minor discrepancies were no worse than anything I created with a heavy left hand.

smk506

Reaction score
I have a few wrap arounds, both straight across lightning bolt and the slanted kind. Intonation on the straight across ones is fine, the modern lightning bridges are compensated for unwound g strings and work just fine for me. The slanted ones work great with a mojoaxe compensated bridge and still pretty ok with a regular one. I’d definitely recommend the mojoaxe unit though.

truckermde

Reaction score
As has been stated above, replacing a wraparound with an adjustable one just takes away the awesome.

My favorite wraparound is the ABM from Germany.

Standard

Reaction score
I've had a few wraptails, most are close enough it should be fine.

However, as was the case with my 2011 Junior, sometimes something will be off enough to need adjustable saddles. In that case my recommendation would be the Tonepros AVT2G. It makes string changes a bit more of a pain as it has locking studs but nothing ridiculous, it's very well made and works like a dream.

Latest Threads