Wow! This Is Getting A Bit Close To Home!

cherryles

Reaction score
Sorry Les, but this is real Australian footy! No helmets, no padding just big balls!

Meet Australian Rules?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wfOd3EC8tug

I can see the attraction alright :cool:

Now try that same game, but use a smaller, harder ball, and give every player a long stick to hit it and often each other with it, that's why Hurling's the greatest game on earth, I sucked at it but I do enjoy watching a game, there's a high level of skill involved, plus it's dangerous, very much so, what du think Digger?

https://youtu.be/8i3-Qk7FNeQ

Nippon

You looking at me?
Reaction score

Now try that same game, but use a smaller, harder ball, and give every player a long stick to hit it and often each other with it, that's why Hurling's the greatest game on earth, I sucked at it but I do enjoy watching a game, there's a high level of skill involved, plus it's dangerous, very much so, what du think Digger?

We have another game called Rugby League.

In that game, the player runs forward while throwing the ball backwards.

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
I did actually hear that too, that yer health system is that to be envied, top class in fact.

I admire Australia's rugby team, always a match worth watching, but my absolute favourite is compromised (International rules) rules Football, that's always a match worth watching, if it's not violent and thrilling, it aint compromised rules! :laugh2:

https://youtu.be/quSrUcL2SSM

When I worked in the Sugar Industry Australia was the worlds most sophisticated cane sugar producers and exporters. World wide respect.

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Yeah pretty good Les, but mate, they have helmets on~

Grin~

cherryles

Reaction score
We have another game called Rugby League.

In that game, the player runs forward while throwing the ball backwards.

Rugby league is good, not so good for the body what with the massive impacts, a good sport to watch for sure.

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I worked in the Sugar Industry Australia was the worlds most sophisticated cane sugar producers and exporters. World wide respect.

Agriculture here is actually quite a challenge as being a very ancient landmass, the nutrients have been leeched out of the soil. We barely have mountains, more like hills, as over millennia they have been worn down. That's why our beaches are such fine sand, because the joint is positively ancient.

So back to agriculture here, to get good crops consistently considering the climate, and the poor soil our farmers have to be pretty good.

Drought is a killer though. (literally)

cherryles

Reaction score
Yeah pretty good Les, but mate, they have helmets on~

Grin~

Yeah, the helmets only became compulsory about 5 years ago, up until then they were optional and most of the senior players would choose not to wear them as they found them a hindrance, but with a ball as hard as a baseball travelling at over 100mph this new rule was a no brainer, but hey, their unprotected from the head down still, madness :laugh2:

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
Agriculture here is actually quite a challenge as being a very ancient landmass, the nutrients have been leeched out of the soil. We barely have mountains, more like hills, as over millennia they have been worn down. That's why our beaches are such fine sand, because the joint is positively ancient.

So back to agriculture here, to get good crops consistently considering the climate, and the poor soil our farmers have to be pretty good.

Drought is a killer though. (literally)

What kind of fossils do they find over there?

scott1970

Reaction score
What kind of fossils do they find over there?

28b40d7a-81be-4468-af34-54fdc9d494f3_zpsa9f25g4t.png

RAG7890

Reaction score
Pop

This is a wise and brave post. But I think you've touched on a way many of us feel.... that is, somewhat conflicted.

I wouldn't call myself "progressive" in the modern political sense, but I have never taken issue with immigration into Australia until now. Never. So what's changed? Well, some of the people we've let in want to change things I don't want changed, want to do things I don't think people should do, and want to kill me....

It's kinda arrogant to use a vague notion of nationalism... the Aussie way... to object to change. All the waves of immigration to Australia over the past 200+ years have brought mainly good things to this country, and that can't be denied. But in doing so, those immigrants did not seem to want to undermine the very fabric of our society. They seemed to add to it.. not take from it.

There are a whole lot of things I don't like about Muslim culture and beliefs that I think detracts from our way of life, rather than adding to it. And that creates conflict for me, because I'm not a hater. I can tell myself, quite rationally, that the subjugation of women is bad, and I am therefore correct in being opposed to it. Similarly, the exploitation of children does not sit well with me, so I can tell myself that my opposition to this aspect of Muslim culture is similarly rational and acceptable.

And the intelligent person that is me says that not all Muslims do either of these things. In fact, probably most of them don't. But they subscribe to a faith and a belief system that not only permits but promotes these values. That is something I struggle with in relation to ordinary, peace loving Mr and Mrs and Mrs Mahommad. You may not practice these things, but from my perspective, is it even ok to believe in a faith that permits these things.

Then there is the whole notion of killing those who do not share your faith. That notion is alien to everything I believe, and everything I believe that other Australians believe, and have been brought up to believe.

We have activists pushing the social boundaries about many aspects of modern society and culture. Yet amongst Muslim people there seems to be no activism whatsoever to exorcise the worst aspects (from our perspective) from their belief system. Why is that? Tacit approval? Fear of the consequences of questioning their beliefs?

I just dunno. I just can't come to grips with the concept of "good Muslims" who seem unwilling or unprepared to do anything about the intolerable aspects of their beliefs, or the views and actions of the "bad" Muslims (such that for many of us, it is impossible to tell them apart).

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Well written FL. :thumb: :applause:

I have certainly told my Muslim friends here in Australia that you need to be way more Vocal against extremism. As a Christian, I certainly would be if the shoe were on the other foot.

FWIW, I would say that 95 - 98% if Muslims do not agree with or support extreme views. My Wife & I know enough of them to know this is the case.

The problem with extremism is the backlash that results in the entire group being painted with the same brush.

As for security in Australia, most people don't realize or know that Australia has a very active & thorough security network, both here & OS. We work hand in hand with Countries around the World & have done for many, many years.

ASIO (similar to the CIA), the Federal Police (similar to the FBI) & State Police are doing a great Job here in Australia. Our SAS is also active in many fields.

We're only 24M but we're not afraid of a fight if needs be & I know our Military & Law Enforcement Officers are respected around the World.

Lastly, I will say that Australia is a Nation of many Cultures & Religious Groups & as a whole we have not had many issues with Terrorism & Extremism & when we have it has been small & isolated. We also have a benefit from this Cultural Diversity; e.g. Food.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers2:

cherryles

Reaction score
FWIW, I would say that 95 - 98% if Muslims do not agree with or support extreme views.:

I would also say that 95 - 98% of the population of Ireland did not and do not support extreme views and terrorism, regardless of which side they came from, but still the terrorists were able to carry out car bombings and attacks on the police and military, and even more sadly, innocent civilians, what we have achieved, even though, not completely, has to be admired and now replicated throughout the world, and that all starts around a table.

Latest Threads