wounded pelham blue

Larakitten

Reaction score
Hey, some of you might recall my post from few weeks ago with my beautiful pelham blue standard that I picked up 2nd hand. Oh boy, it all went wrong! I no longer have it, I swapped it through my shop for a virtually unplayed Ebony standard.
It began in week 1 of ownership with a seemingly harmless lacquer crack on the headstock, running between 2 tuners. The shop I bought it from took it in for check and declared all was well.
Over the next week, the intonation of the guitar began to change.....I was getting more and more fret buzz. A dead note appeared on the D string, 6th fret. I gave the guitar a check over and noticed another crack at the heel, not right in the join but further out.
I booked it back into the shop, but over the 2 days I had to wait for my appointment the crack got wider and whiter in colour.
The guitar tech thought that the dead note was a kinked string....until he applied pressure to the neck and the crack moved........game over. The guitar had to go, and I swapped for the most beautiful Ebony standard. Not the one I'd have picked off the rack as its so unassuming but it played a dream in my hands. Best of 4 I tried.
Anyone else ever encountered this? Mainly just wanted to tell my tale of woe as no one else gets the mourning of the Pelham Blue......

Attachments

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of those rare situations where it worked out well. Glad you didn't get the pipe.

Carry on and play that thang!

larryguitar

Reaction score
Sounds like a shop to keep patronizing, IMHO. Glad you got one you love.

Larry

Latest Threads