Would you trade your number 1 for a superior guitar..

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I don't have a number one I use can't commit. I can randomly draw a serial number?

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Everything has a value. If someone offered me a trade for my #1, it would have to benefit me SIGNIFICANTLY!

My 2011 R9 is my #1 player. I wouldn't trade it for a 59 or 60 junior even though it's about 2x the value.

Now, if someone offered me 20k for it, or something crazy like a 57 gold top, yeah, I'd do it, because chances are, I could find another #1 and have plenty of cash left over.

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
Most likely no. My #1 is a bone stock 2014 R8 that is just a beast in every way. It would really take a lot to get it out of my hands. No way would I trade it for a 69 unless it was 100% stock and i played it and it sounded and felt better.

bosnialove

Reaction score
Everything has a value. If someone offered me a trade for my #1, it would have to benefit me SIGNIFICANTLY!

My 2011 R9 is my #1 player. I wouldn't trade it for a 59 or 60 junior even though it's about 2x the value.

Now, if someone offered me 20k for it, or something crazy like a 57 gold top, yeah, I'd do it, because chances are, I could find another #1 and have plenty of cash left over.
Yeah, I think that everybody would trade for $20K or a genuine '57 Goldtop (unless you have a guitar worth more than $20K or when you already own a '58/9/'60).

I would not trade mine for a '59/'60 Junior either.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Yeah, I think that everybody would trade for $20K or a genuine '57 Goldtop (unless you have a guitar worth more than $20K or when you already own a '58/9/'60).

I would not trade mine for a '59/'60 Junior either.
So I have to ask....why would you trade it for the one in question? Your post title is a bit odd, because you need to define "superior" in this case.

Did you have a chance to play this other guitar, because if not, you are only talking about this other one in monetary terms. Your #1 is your #1 for a reason obviously, so why would you trade blindly?

DADGAD

Reaction score
I once traded my beater '76 standard for
a 1960 Melody maker. Good guitar, vintage great tone but not better than my '76 as a player. I vowed since then to take more time to consider trades and selling.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
I could see buying a superior guitar and selling my former number one after I bonded with the new guitar, but trade sight unseen? No way.

grayd8

Reaction score
My '80 "Jimmy Wallace" '58RI LP Standard is my #1, and has been in the family since '84.

I've had MANY musicians in town offer up some CRAZY guitar packages, and some VERY enticing, but I'll never let it go for any guitar.

If that "Have to Have" guitar presents itself, I'll find other way to buy it, or pass on it if I can't get the cash together.

Here's my #1:

Damn son...

LenPaul

Reaction score
I've had to sell or trade several #1's, but only because I couldn't afford to keep them after having to get a guitar more suited to the task at hand.
Don't do it , unless you absolutely need that guitar.

duck2k

Reaction score
Never! I love "Miss Amy" very much. Great neck, tone, and weight. She is my only one since I sold my R7, R8, and R0 (which I regret, because it gave my #1 a run for it's money).

Trade to the unknown? Not in the bloody pit of hades!

Attachments

sikoniko

Reaction score
seems kind of wrong to me to make an offer that you weren't committed to.

With that being said, a '68 small headstock would be more preferrable. Do you like the feel of ebony?

I know someone who claims anything '72 or earlier is using the same old wood that they used in the '50s.

I guess good/superior is a matter of opinion. one man's beater could be another man's #1...

bosnialove

Reaction score
So I have to ask....why would you trade it for the one in question? Your post title is a bit odd, because you need to define "superior" in this case.

Did you have a chance to play this other guitar, because if not, you are only talking about this other one in monetary terms. Your #1 is your #1 for a reason obviously, so why would you trade blindly?
Just talking about the guitar in monetray, in value. If the guitar played and sounded the same as your current number one, if you would still do the trade.

I sent him a message telling him I have this guitar, and if price is good I might let it go. But since I love it so much, it needs to be a good guitar and a good deal to prevent me from keeping it. And then he sent me a message back telling me he understands it and gave a good offer. I said that it was a great deal, but since it is my number 1, I have hae to think about it really good if I want to let it go. A couple days later I realized I could not do it and sent him a message. He replied that he understands it and that he had the same problem a couple years ago with a Fender-guitar. I can't find the ad anymore, so I think the guitar is already sold.

Falconbill

Reaction score
Just talking about the guitar in monetray, in value. If the guitar played and sounded the same as your current number one, if you would still do the trade. /QUOTE]

Some of these late 60s and early 70s Deluxes are priced higher than some used R9s and Norlin Deluxes higher than used R8s. I don't get it. The specs aren't as nearly as good and they're heavier. IMHO, these are not good "values." OTOH, I've seen some great values in used reissues lately. It's a buyers market for these.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
If it's the 69 GT with p90's, that is still for sale.

What is he asking if I may ask?

Stage Fright

Banned
Reaction score
A superior guitar for me would be an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, so no, I don't think so, unless we're talking a Gibby silverburst, black beauty, or white custom from a signature collection of some kind. That request would get a few good laughs.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can definitely see the attraction to a guitar like that, and some would call it superior of the two, but if that R7 of yours really really does it for you, then I would not do it.

I've been down that road. I was trading off my #1's left and right for what I thought would be just a little bit better each time and I did that for quite a while and I DID get better and better guitars, but you know what?

Eventually I got a dud and when that happens, you will not be happy. Especially if you cannot get any of those guitars back that you once had.

Been there, done that. It was fun for a while but then the fun stopped, lol.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Once a guitar remains in my possession for longer than 30 days - it never leaves. I may "replace" it as my #1, but I would never dispose of it.

tspoon5150

Reaction score
I would never let my number 1 go at any price, period.

Everyone has a price, but mine is not going anywhere.

Latest Threads