Would you have like the 'old' you?

scrumm21

Reaction score
other than the typical 'yes there are definitely a couple things I would have done differently' at 64 I have No regrets. Retired with 3 awesome grandkids and all 3 of my kids living within 20 mins of me .....

But...watching a home vid I shot in '86 - realizing I am Older than my parents in that Vid o_O

That is still hard to wrap my head around

Last edited:

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
I actually like the old me more than the current me. I had more friends, more opportunities and wasn’t so set in my ways. I knew how to have fun and made time for it. I’m 54 and work is all consuming. I worry a lot about stuff I have little control over. I don’t have the drive to get out of it and do something different. I am not depressed; I’m just not super excited about the future. Youth is a gift you don’t realize you have until you’re looking at it in the rear view mirror.
Cant say it any better than this so I will just quote it..

Although its been a tough last year for me and my family, I have a grandchild getting ready to land next month so that should be cool....

LocoTex

Reaction score
I could sympathize with my younger self, but I wouldn't want to hang with him. Too anxiety ridden and bouncing from one thought to another. I like the current me a lot better.

Now if I could go back with the same head on that I have now? In a heartbeat!

scrumm21

Reaction score
E Head.... lol when that 1st grandkid comes along - you Suddenly get what all the fuss was about...as in "let me tell ya about the grandkids" lol

I try not to be one of those.......
but if you Ask !! ...... :rofl:

dro

Reaction score
17 year old me. All I knew was Controlled substance abuse, Alcohol, Pussy, Overdrive, and crank it to 10.
Summer of that year, 1978 began my guitar/vocal learning experience.
From then on, my focus was band. Learning from the guys (older than me) who seemed to know things.
Drummer was next closest to my age at 25. Everybody else was pushing 30. In my eyes, these guys were experienced.
When I was offered the lead guitar job, First gig was in two weeks. They handed me a stack of albums 2 feet high.
"Here, go learn these lead parts." When not at work (8*-5) or at rehearsal (2 nights a week, and 1-6pm on Sunday) I was woodshedding my bedroom at home (Dad's house) .
First gig, exiting lead player (Heading out on USO tour) was there to fall back on. 4 hour gig. Traded leads with him.
Continued this (12-14 hour rehearsal per week) while gigging specials and weddings. Vocal rehearsals, learning harmony.
Learning my instrument, And volume and tone control. How to fit in the mix of a 9 pc band.
The alcohol, drugs, and women. Just seemed to come with the territory. Never a thought to anything else but the band.
I knew, as many do. Though I may not become a star. I will be in a major group till I die.
After the first big disappointment. A Capitol Records tour supporting a Major act. That fell through, a month before it began.
Devastated, things started to fall apart. Went from, 9pc. to 4pc. very quickly. The remainder of the group gigged for another 15 years. before another major change. Birth of my first child. Rearranged my life very quickly. Still keeping loyalty to the band. My main focus was still my music. But main priority became family.
Now, 60. Things that were so important in my 20's-30's-40's, even 50's. Seem well, not so much.
I'm still into my music. Still play every day. Mostly acoustic solo. Did a gig last month 1 hour show. Chest was beginning
to hurt. Thought it was another heart attack. Ended up being a collapsed lung. Finished the gig, spent the next 5 days in the hospital with a large tube stuck in my side. Got out of hospital. Put wife in hospital the next day. She was in for 20 days or more. Cancer is a bitch.
Things change, People change, Priorities change. I have become my wife's caregiver. Main focus is health and wellbeing.
With, minor in music.
Would I like the guy I used to be? I am the guy I used to be. Would I hang with him today? Well maybe not. But I would share some of the experiences I CAN remember with him.
I would teach him music, as I was taught. And if it truly were a younger me. He would take me seriously.
One thing I learned early on was, you can learn, only if you are willing to accept.
I was a sponge for any info to do with music. From instruments to singing to audio to recording.
We are who we are. What we have done in the past does not define us. But makes us wiser.
Any experience is good experience. Sometimes bad experience is the best experience for you.
Main thing is, to enjoy the ride. And believe me. I've had a blast. I feel very fortunate to have lived the life I have
lived/am living.
Still learning every day. It may sound corny to the younger generation to hear me say. But if my experience has taught me anything. There is good and bad in each one of us. Over the years, we all do stupid shit. We loose people along the way. The whole of life's meaning comes down to one thing.
Love and be Loved

Standard

Reaction score
Only being in my 30s I have a limited view on this topic. However, I remember when I was 16-17 thinking I had it all figured out. I wasn't like other kids my age, I had a work ethic they didn't have, I didn't drive a car like I was indestructible, got good grades so obviously I must know everything, etc..

Now I know, I was stupid, lazy, and regularly topped 100 mph, even in the rain (once, even 17 year old me knew that one was bad). That being said, sadly I WAS harder working and safer behind the wheel than my friends, perspective can really mess you up if you look at the wrong things for examples.

To the point, I would think my younger self was an arrogant little shit and I wouldn't be able to be in the same room for long. Thus why I have changed from then to now. And I'm sure in 20 years I won't like who I am today. But that's okay, actually it's good, because that means I'm growing and learning, and that's what life is about.

I Break Things

Reaction score
I'm only 26, and I would still look at my younger self weirdly. I wish I would have had the confidence to pick up a guitar sooner, to work on myself a bit more instead of just using escapism of some sorts, be more responsible for myself, etc.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
At 33, whilst I embrace maturing, I refuse to "grow up".

I think back to my younger years and it's obvious I have matured and now act my age (for the most part), but I will forever be a kid-at-heart.
nothing wrong with that,im 63 and i dont feel "old"yet.i do tend to think more before i speak and weigh the consequenses of my actions towards others more.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
My younger self was drunk, irresponsible, didn't follow through, and was generally a slacker. I was bright enough and likeable enough that I "got away with it" but it really didn't serve me well or set me up for long-term success.

I righted the ship after I turned 30 and started down a path that has been much more satisfying. The me I have grown into since then might have liked the old me, but would have thought I needed to grow up.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I am the OLD me. Right now.
Of course I love me.

The YOUNG me was awesome too.
I knew EVERYTHING !
And I'd be ready at the drop of a hat or sideways look to prove it.

I was probably more awesome when I was young because I don't know so much any more. And I don't give a fuck if someone is wrong.

Oh my. How some things change.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
nothing wrong with that,im 63 and i dont feel "old"yet.i do tend to think more before i speak and weigh the consequenses of my actions towards others more.
That's still something that I have trouble controlling, even at 64. But, I try.

And, when it goes wrong, it goes wrong. Fuck it. That's another perk of age, that you earn.

EspyHop

Reaction score
Nah. I was a bore who took things too seriously until I was 38.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Would you have like the 'old' you?

Now this question is a double-edged sword. I read it two ways:
1. Would I (now) like the me aged, say 20; or
2. Would the 20 year-old like the old me (i.e. me now)

I'm not sure whether the OP is asking the double-edged question or not.

I'll have a crack at both.

1. Not really. The young me was too shy, too lacking in self-confidence, too unsure of myself. The me of now would have sat the 20 year-old down and said 'Don't back off of the things you want to do. Don't hold off doing something that may lead you to regret not doing it later. Be positive about yourself. An individual or individuals can only say 'No' to you. You may be pleasantly surprised at some of the outcomes if you speak to people. Don't prevaricate - you can't put your life on hold'.

2. The 20 year-old would say to me, the 71 year-old: 'No fuckin' way! Just no fuckin' way! A crotchety old bastard like you is still gigging! Slinging a Les Paul? You've got four Les Pauls? And you've written 11 books? Liar! I failed English Literature 'O'-level a couple of years ago! I could hardly write a decent paragraph! Some shit has happened to you for all this to have occurred. You're bullshitting me, aren't you?'

Last edited:

Latest Threads