Would you buy an LP Custom without paperwork?

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One day when I die my daughter will have no clue which paper goes with which guitar...

So most of my guitars will be sold with either no paperwork or the wrong papers...some I keep in the case but not all...
Well your lucky Chris, I don`t even know which cases belong to which guitar anymore :laugh2:

I just hope MLP is around then so my daughter can search through my NGD threads and hope there is at least 1 pic of the guitar and the origional case :eek:

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
Well your lucky Chris, I don`t even know which cases belong to which guitar anymore :laugh2:

I just hope MLP is around then so my daughter can search through my NGD threads and hope there is at least 1 pic of the guitar and the origional case :eek:
That's why, when I packed my cases away in the garage storage, I labeled every single one. I knew that day would come. Heck... I had to use process of elimination, to figure out 3 or 4 of them.

Getting ready to add another case, as well. A bigger case. It'll be easy to pick out.

:cheers2:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would most likely pay the asking price WITH the COA, and pay less then asking without. The other paperwork I couldn't care less. Just me.

Caretaker

Reaction score
I sold as 2001 R8. I thought the COA was in the case. I found it 6 months ago in a desk drawer.
I`ve posted several threads on several boards offering it to whoever owns the guitar now, but no responses.

bblooz

Reaction score
I'm currently selling one of my guitars, an SG from the era there weren't any COA issued, and then it's just a normal USA SG so no COA anyhow. Yet im suprised there's so many people asking me why theres no COA with my SG? Man if people would take the time to do some research.
It never mattered to most people, because You assumed a Gibson guitar was legit. I think with all the fake "chibsons" out there, people are starting to be a little more cautious.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
If people can't recognize a Chibson, they've got bigger problems than a CoA. CoA is easier to fake than a truly convincing Gibson.

I don't think I've ever seen a fake get past this forum.

We're not seeing more fakes. We're just seeing more people post legit LPs, and ask... "is this fake?" Seriously... the last 3 to 4 threads, have all been real LPs.

If people are expecting discounts for no CoA, you're going to be seriously disappointed. Or if you limit yourself to only guitars with CoA... you're drastically cutting off about 2/3 the market. I've never understood this obsession with what is now, nothing more than a folded checklist, with a serial, and model numbers on it.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you daughters a favor... sell off those guitars as you get older. When you go, be down to one acoustic, strumming on the porch.

Without a COA.

Instead, just leave a note whether you'd like the guitar sold, or kept in the family.
I will NEVER sell another guitar...
The only les Paul I ever sold was in 1994...

My family can do whatever they want with the collection when I'm dead...

Most I would rather them go to friends and family for free...I will never own hundreds like Joe bonamassa so it will be manageable for my wife to handle...she will undoubtedly live longer as she takes wonderful care of herself....I like gummy bears and blue bell ice cream so im not going to live until a ripe old age :naughty:

Les Pauls, to me, are not an investment...they are kinetic art and I will never sell another one...

I don't like selling anything to be honest...except cars but even then my wife and I do 2 year leases so it's not really selling them...

-Chris

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Reaction score
Believe or not, some people just DO NOT care about that stuff..
That's kinda what I meant, Brother, I did not mean it to sound insulting. Apologies if it came across that way. Some Folks just don't care, so they don't make sure to protect it.

NOTHING wrong with that. :h5: Sheesh, I used to toss the OBI strips from my Japanese cds without realizing that they would later become valuable :facepalm:. I've even tracked down second copies just so that I could have the OBI.

I guess for me, the whole COA and (hopefully) other case candy is just part of owning the "complete package" rather than being worried about it being a chibson or not. I just think stuff like that is cool.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
Right on, I knew what ya meant..just is very true that people are either careless, or it is of less significance to them.

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
I will NEVER sell another guitar...
The only les Paul I ever sold was in 1994...

My family can do whatever they want with the collection when I'm dead...

Most I would rather them go to friends and family for free...I will never own hundreds like Joe bonamassa so it will be manageable for my wife to handle...she will undoubtedly live longer as she takes wonderful care of herself....I like gummy bears and blue bell ice cream so im not going to live until a ripe old age :naughty:

Les Pauls, to me, are not an investment...they are kinetic art and I will never sell another one...

I don't like selling anything to be honest...except cars but even then my wife and I do 2 year leases so it's not really selling them...

-Chris
Ha ha, I don't think I'll ever sell another LP either (my Wife has mostly forbade me from doing so:io:). EVERY time I've sold an LP (4 times) I have regretted it. I was able to replace 2 of them, but not the other 2 (1 of which was a Custom w/o COA :rofl:)

Reactions: Who

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
Off topic.... when I browse the forum, and I read "LP" as an abbreviation for "Les Paul", in my head, I think "Les Paul".

When I read "LP" as an abbreviation for "Long Play" (a record album).... in my head, I think "LP".

So the title of this thread sounds grammatically wrong to my head, even though it is grammatically correct!
Ha ha. I totally get what you're saying. I used to call long players albums.

jojo

Reaction score
I've bought a few without them and could care less.

Latest Threads