Would you buy a Les Paul with a repaired neck crack?

WayneLawKid

Reaction score
The only two "broken" guitars I own happen to be two of the best I own.

My "Number 1" is a headstock broken 61' ES-335 with Grovers. Very clean repair, and otherwise original (Bigsby in the case). I may have it buried with me. Best sounding PAF guitar I have ever played, hands down.

My "Number 2" is a 64' SG Standard with a very good heel repair (not the dowel monstrosities you see all over these days). Just a clamp, glue, and slight overspray. Otherwise, all there. Neck to die for. Vintage Allman Brothers tone. Maybe this one will go on the grave stone. Coffin may get cramped...

Did I pay less for these than an unbroken neck comparable? Yes. A lot less? Yes. But they sounded too good to pass up. And broken neck vintage guitars allow a lower barrier of entry into the vintage market. If they sound good, don't pass them up. Just don't overpay.

Photos for good measure (and so you know I'm not BS'ing you).

IMG_1701.jpg
IMG_1704.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg
IMG_1706.jpg

jamhandy

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't touch a neck repaired anything. I figure the re-sale on one is caca, so why bother when there are so many out there that don't have a repair. I guess if you plan to heirloom it and keep it for life that's your foobar... because IMHO, you'll never sell it if the time comes you want to...

msalama

Reaction score
Lesters I'm not sure about, but I did buy this beauty dirt cheap and the crack is repaired professionally. So no regrets, and I'd definitely break even if I ever went out of my mind and decided to sell her - which I bloody well won't.

20220623_064619.jpg

20220623_064833.jpg

EDIT: bloody typos

Last edited:

AJK1

Reaction score
Nope, no neck breaks/cracks for me
I had an Explorer hit the deck before my eyes years ago and the explosion was frightening
It was expertly repaired but I just couldn’t play it without thinking it was gonna snap at any moment, my confidence was shot
So I sold it for pittance

Latest Threads