Would you buy a Les Paul with a repaired neck crack?

mjross

Reaction score
My 2006 Custom had a headstock repair brand new. Repair done buy Seuf’s and you would never know it if you were not really looking for it. No problems what so ever after 15+ years. If it’s done right, no worries!

Bwk

Reaction score
Yeah I gather it’s not an issue if done properly. I just don’t know much about neck cracks. The guitar I posted is an ultra heavy aged Murphy Lab that looks awesome otherwise. That said, it’s still super expensive and I’m just trying to determine if it makes sense to go that route or not.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Personally, no.
But I also recognise that there are carpenters and luthiers who are able to amazing things with these things that are beyond my understanding and full appreciation.
I also believe that dogs fully understand my every word.

darkvoice

Reaction score
NO.

Once I bought a LP Classic with repaired neck and it arrived broken in the same spot. I hear people saying that re-glued spot is supposed to be stronger than the rest of the neck, however in my case it was the weakest.

Most sellers still price repaired guitars quite high, it's not like you are getting half off. I decided that to me few hundred dollars in savings was not worth it. The repair would bother me, I would keep thinking about it. Plus, it could break again and you will certainly have problems re-selling repaired guitar.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dependent on how it was repaired... Repairs by Gumpy Greg I've seen pics of are impressive...

modavis99

Reaction score
Yeah I gather it’s not an issue if done properly. I just don’t know much about neck cracks. The guitar I posted is an ultra heavy aged Murphy Lab that looks awesome otherwise. That said, it’s still super expensive and I’m just trying to determine if it makes sense to go that route or not.

My two cents. If you’re shelling out for a Murphy Lab — these are great guitars BTW — then don’t get one with a headstock crack just to save a fed dollars. go ultra light aged if you want the cheapest Murphy lab

Reactions: Bwk

Bwk

Reaction score
My two cents. If you’re shelling out for a Murphy Lab — these are great guitars BTW — then don’t get one with a headstock crack just to save a fed dollars. go ultra light aged if you want the cheapest Murphy lab
Yeah that’s fine. I didn’t necessarily want the cheapest. Just saw that one and got curious because it was an ultra heavy aged. As I’ve chewed on it, I think it’s a mistake. I have no warranty to speak of, I doubt I’d be able to resell it easily, if at all. Just seems like an unnecessary risk when there are plenty of guitars out there at similar price point with perfectly fine necks

msalama

Reaction score
Yes, I would, if the repair was well executed and the guitar is priced sensibly.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Somehow I would prefer to buy the guitar before it was repaired!
That way I could see the real damage and have it fixed the proper way by the proper person.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my es les Paul was dropped when un-packing at a big box store…
sweetwater got it from them and had it repaired…
its perfect in every way…

the repair is noticeable only if u know it’s there…and the break was horrific…they sent me before/after pics before I bought It sight unseen..

and it was a smoking deal…likely the best deal i’ll ever get on a perfect playing, high end lester

CC8C77A0-1742-44A7-8AA3-DB903D69913B.jpeg
00A89BF4-02CA-4A72-B4C7-D838EAECBB2E.jpeg

Deftone

Reaction score
I would and have. I prefer Gibsons with a headstock repair and actively seek them out. They should be priced accordingly.

Bwk

Reaction score
So what would you consider a reasonable price (discount off retail)?

Deftone

Reaction score
So what would you consider a reasonable price (discount off retail)?
IMHO that will depend on a number of factors, like the year and model of the guitar itself, who did the repair, how bad the break was, etc... I would think somewhere around 10% off minimum for vintage Gibson guitars all the way up to 50% for newer, less valuable guitars.

A lot of older, vintage Gibson guitars have had neck repairs.

FWIW: I was looking at a 2019 Les Paul Classic Light husk (no hardware, body only) for sale with a repaired headstock. The guy wanted $1000. Price of the guitar new was about $1899. Hard pass. Not worth the money when you add up all the components + the de-valued guitar.

Another seller was asking around $700 for a 2019 Les Paul Classic Light husk with a repaired headstock. It sold almost immediately. But that was another hard pass from me. I think I would have pulled the trigger at about $500.

I ended up buying a used Classic Light for $1450. Complete and in perfect condition.

Reactions: Bwk

VancoD

Reaction score
I bought an Epi for next to nothing that was repaired from a catastrophic break. The repair person was "good at repair, but not confident at color-matching" and left it as-is and I could care less.

While visually obvious it almost fully undetectable by feel. I imagine if I sat for a bit and hit it with some super-high grit "buffing" papers I could make it perfect, but as I said, I am not concerned in the least
20220504_083611.jpg

It was the 12-string side that broke...

20220504_1.jpg

Latest Threads