Would you buy a Gibson Les Paul with poly finish?

Six6String6

Reaction score
Binding, labor for the binding, glue for the binding, mother of Pearl. More material as far as acrylic markers. Nitrocellulose lacquer is more labor intensive. Mahogany and maple is substantially more expensive than swamp ash and alder, due to demand, quality, etc. Set necks require more labor. Fender guitars are bolted on. Single coils require 1 bobbin as opposed to 2. At the end of the day, they require way more material and labor for a Les Paul. More sandpaper, glue and time. Why do you think a American Original Strat is more expensive than an American professional?

More Material + More Labor = $$$

Pretty straight forward when you look at it logically.
I never thought of it that way. Guess you’re right.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
So why are US made strats half the price. My LP was exactly twice the price of my Am. Pro. II?
That wasn’t always the case. I got a Strat Elite about 1980 and it was around the same price as a Les Paul Custom or a PRS!

You can get a higher priced Strat now and a lower priced Gibson (Tribute series.). Both nitro if you want it.

Fender made quality production line guitars at a lower cost, replaceable parts that the player could change, kind of a utilitarian design, factory assembly line production influenced by Henry Ford in a way.

Gibson was always a slightly more hi end guitar, whom later was influenced by Fender to make futuristic models in the 50s, in order to keep up really, and also cheaper student models.

Check out Gibson TV on YouTube- The Process shows every step in the factory. It’s a great watch!

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did a side by side comparison between my 2020 thin poly Tokai and my 16 traditional LP. It’s impossible for me to tell the difference, other than the Tokai has better fret work. YMMV. Poly,nitro,poly,nitro.
AFC3BDEE-7847-4E54-AC5E-DA8E864031E5.jpeg

Last edited:

Wrench66

Reaction score
Nitro IS plastic tho... :hmm:
And your point?

Poly "looks" like plastic, at least in the models I've owned and played. This is simply my opinion based off of the three poly finished guitars that I've owned and the several, probably 20 or so, that I've played. And I should point out these were all budget, sub $500 guitars. I am sure a $3k PRS finished in poly would look and feel substantially different than the epi, Ibanez, and Fender guitars that I have owned. In fact, I did play a PRS guitar several years ago that I believe, not sure, had a satin poly finish. Guitar played amazing, but the finish didn't blow me away to be honest. The guitar was $2850 and change and I simply couldn't justify the cost.

My nitro finished guitars are not expensive either, 2009 Les Paul studio, 2014 SG Standard, and a 2018 Les Paul tribute satin gold top. In my opinion, the nitro finish looks like what they used on fine furniture ages ago. And as the instrument ages, so does the finish, and I like that. The finish on my studio has yellowed some and it gives the wine red a kind of glow that I cannot describe. The finish on the neck has started to check and it's worn to a satin feel after the years of playing it. The finish on my SG has also started to yellow a little, which gives a dark emerald glow to some parts of the dark blue color, I think it's called Manhattan midnight or something. And the neck on this one has a satin feel about it now from play wear. The gold top doesn't really show any wear yet, other than the finish has polished up on the neck and other places where I make contact during play. I love how these guitars feel in my hands and how they look. This I attribute to the nitro finish.

Is nitro technically a plastic? I have no idea. I'm not a chemist.

My original point stands: If I want a Les Paul, or any guitar, finished in poly, I would by an Epi. I prefer nitro finished guitars, so I buy Gibson. This is simply my preference. If you prefer poly, by all means buy a poly finished guitar. I know there are several manufacturers out there that finish guitars in poly.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Anyone who claims he can "feel" the difference between two types of glossy finished car paint on wood is just delusional.
Anyone who can't "feel" the difference between two types of glossy finished car paint on wood is dead.
Well, to me at least.

:rofl:

Six6String6

Reaction score
I just had the thought this morning as I picked up my 2019 Standard that when I do see serious checking (ok, even minor checking) I will Google where to buy a poly coated Les Paul.
A nice thin poly coating like one of my other great sounding guitars.

Latest Threads