Would you buy a Gibson Les Paul with poly finish?

Thundergod

Reaction score
I bet there's a thread out there about this but it's probably not even near the first 10 pages of the forum so...

Would you buy a Gibson Les Paul with poly finish? Would you pay the same $$$ as with nitro?

At the risk of burning for this, I'd be happy to have the option.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
wouldnt that be an epi 59 les paul? i had one of the early epi tributes and it was a good guitar.truth is the epi 59 and the gibby tribute series are so close its a tough choice to make,especially with the thin poly finish on the epi.

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
wouldnt that be an epi 59 les paul? i had one of the early epi tributes and it was a good guitar.truth is the epi 59 and the gibby tribute series are so close its a tough choice to make,especially with the thin poly finish on the epi.
Thin poly finish on the Epiphone 59 my @$$!!
B00B775A-B818-4F2E-9DC8-14CAC810839E.jpeg

There’s pics on the forum somewhere but after you get past the “matte” finish, there is a layer of poly. The guitar had the typical amount, under the fancy coating.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Anyone who claims he can "feel" the difference between two types of glossy finished car paint on wood is just delusional.
Not so.

I have both a Gibson and and Epi LP - the two finishes "feel" totally different.

Lacquer "moves" with the wood. Poly doesn't. Hence my Gibson, even with the stock 490/500 pickups, which tend to sound brighter, actually sounds darker, than my Epi.

grumphh

Reaction score
Not so.

I have both a Gibson and and Epi LP - the two finishes "feel" totally different.

Lacquer "moves" with the wood. Poly doesn't. Hence my Gibson, even with the stock 490/500 pickups, which tend to sound brighter, actually sounds darker, than my Epi.
Your posts are always good for a laugh at "internet expertise"

Sure, one polished car paint feels really different than another polished car paint...

As for "moves with the wood", i salute your imagination in making up these absurdities.
Pulling stuff like this out of thin air (not mentioning any bodily cavities here) is damn creative :yesway:

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I think nitro feels and looks better. I never really believed the myths about it sounding better though.
There are some types of thin poly finishes that look and feel almost like nitro, you can't really tell the difference when the guitars are still in good condition. When they start wearing you'll see that poly finishes age differently from nitro, even the very thin poly finishes.
Keep in mind that there are a lot of different types of finish and we simply call a lot of them "poly", but there can be very big differences. We often see budget guitars with poly, and they use the cheapest methods for their finish. So now when we hear "poly finish" we automaticly think about budget guitars.

Injector

Reaction score
I'd have a thin coat of poly on a LP in preference to nitro. Not everyone wants their guitars to show wear. It's the cracking I hate. Sure it looks great when the whole guitar is cracked but the first few cracks just look like accidental damage and it takes several decades for the whole thing to look vintage.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Your posts are always good for a laugh at "internet expertise"

Sure, one polished car paint feels really different than another polished car paint...

As for "moves with the wood", i salute your imagination in making up these absurdities.
Pulling stuff like this out of thin air (not mentioning any bodily cavities here) is damn creative :yesway:
Not "internet expertise". I learned most of what I know, before the internet was even a thing. Books, and hands-on experience are my thing.

You obviously have no idea about the physics involved, or the relationships between different finishes and wood.

I could sit here all night and break it down for you (there's no shortage of referrence material, btw), but your head might implode?

bum

Reaction score
My 65 nitro Mustang feels nothing like my poly Japanese Jaguar, to say they do is just weird.
It'd be like claiming that a tree feels like a kitchen work top, it's just not right, as in, factually wrong.

Edit: I have no personal preference and would buy a poly Gibson if it played well, I dig richlite, and other materials so not a cork sniffer :laugh2:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Isn't the reason that nitro cracks because it doesn't move with the wood and is crstal hard? Well, old nitro anyway.

I'm not sure though why poly doesn't crack other than when there is an impact accident (or in the case of my one guitar binding off gassing).

grumphh

Reaction score
I like poly. I spray poly...and nitro among others.
Poly and nitro DO look and feel different though, and that's a fact.
Signed,
Actual Expert.
Yes, you are the resident darling expert, no denying that.:yesway:
Disagreeing with you is like disagreeing with 85% of the most vocal forumites, i know , but i still do.

...owning and playing guitars (yes, actually touching them while exciting their strings in order to get them to make sounds), with all sorts of finishes, for something close to 4 decades has taught me that there is no way to distinguish a polished "nitro" from a polished "poly" just by running your fingers over the surface. Gloss is gloss.

Both are just hardened car paints polished to a gloss. Any perceived difference in feel is purely imagined.

What is different is the way the various finishes react to aging (both natural and artificial), in that the polys don't really wear and with normal use just keep their gloss over the decades, give and take a scratch or two - but have a tendency to splinter and flake when dented, where nitro does wear much easier, can lose its shine and eventually wear through but doesn't flake away from the wood the way poly does when subjected to a hit.

Latest Threads