Would u trade a Standard and a Studio for a Custom?

Neemo

Reaction score
Got an offer for a 2005 Custom Ebony for my 2013 Standard Desertburst and 2006 Studio Fireburst

Good idea or no?

JM2112

Reaction score
Nope...

I would trade one of those guitars and a bit of cash provided I can play the Custom first and that it plays and sounds better than what I'm trading.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
'13 was a very good year for Gibson. Maybe a straight Standard for Custom trade is more like it.

MrWrong

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Be careful in regards to '05 Customs, I've seen more fake ones than authentic. A genuine '05 Custom would have an Custom Shop ink stamped serial number beginning with CS, the fake ones have Gibson USA impressed serial numbers usually beginning with 02005-.

As for the trade I don't think it sounds like a very good deal unless you don't like the guitars you have and really love the Custom.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
It depends on you. Do you just sorta like the Standard and Studio? Maybe it would be worth it, for you. For me, it wouldn't.

Guitar_nut

Reaction score
'13 was a very good year for Gibson. Maybe a straight Standard for Custom trade is more like it.
I was also going to comment that my 2013 D Burst is a really a great playing and sounding guitar and I would be hard pressed to trade it unless that new guitar was sure awesomeness. I have 3 2013 standards and they are all sweet guitars.

I also really have a weakness Customs and have several including one from 2006 so I can understand your desire to trade for one. If you are not totally happy with your 2013 Standard, and you think you will be happy and comfortable with a possibly heavier Custom then go for it. Will you have a chance to play it first?

Since you asked.. I'm also not sure I would trade two guitars. I would trade the standard and some cash and keep the studio.

skysc

Reaction score
Nope i wouldnt , specially if you like the feel of your Standard and studio .

I prefer the assymetrical slim taper neck of the 2012-2013 standard ( and recent years ) to the 50's round profile of most LP Custom + plus the weight factor .

I prefer my 2 2012 LP standards over many historic R0 and R9 i played that cost 2000-3000 $ more . I prefer modern Les paul to historic .

Neemo

Reaction score
I love my standard...best guitar I've ever played and owned...i don't have much experience with customs other than demoing a couple in stores

I love the studio too...but it's really only ever meant to have been my #2

I prefer the 59 rounded rounded over the slim taper but the assymetrical is the most comfortable neck I've played...i prefer the burstbucker pros over the 490/498 thru my Mesa

Anyway I don't need 2 guitars anymore and have been trying to sell the studio...but had the offer to "trade up"...so thought I'd post here to get some other opinions

But with this response to the above posts I think I've answered my own question so thanks everyone here for the assistance! :)

Anyway here are some pics of my axes

Attachments

JM2112

Reaction score
I love my standard...best guitar I've ever played and owned...i don't have much experience with customs other than demoing a couple in stores

I love the studio too...but it's really only ever meant to have been my #2

I prefer the 59 rounded rounded over the slim taper but the assymetrical is the most comfortable neck I've played...i prefer the burstbucker pros over the 490/498 thru my Mesa

Anyway I don't need 2 guitars anymore and have been trying to sell the studio...but had the offer to "trade up"...so thought I'd post here to get some other opinions

But with this response to the above posts I think I've answered my own question so thanks everyone here for the assistance! :)

Anyway here are some pics of my axes

If you love that Standard, then hang on to it. Don't trade it for something with more bling or be lured by something that's new. If you want a Custom then sell the Studio and save some dollars in the mean time. Then make your move for one.

The Custom you're looking at will likely have the 490/498 pick ups that you already have in the Studio, so you'll likely get a similar tone. Now, if you can find a Custom with Custombuckers or a Norlin LP Custom with its original t-top or Shaw pick ups, then you're talking about a whole different guitar that would be worth a trade for the Studio and some cash.

ido1957

Reaction score
I wonder why a guy would trade a top of the line guitar for a lesser model.
Suspicions: The frets are wearing out. The custom is too heavy. He like shiny new looking guitars.
I would check eBay US and see what they go for, play it, then make a decision.
As I have a newer custom, and prefer them, I wouldn't trade it.

2manyGuitars

Reaction score
My initial answer was no. After seeing the photo of your Desert Burst, I'm changing it to HELL NO!!!

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Someone above mentioned that 2005 was the year most of the fake ones choose to use as their serial number. I would be very careful. Put lots of pics on here. These guys are the best spotting fakes.

vagabond09

Reaction score
Man... That desert burst and the grain... Just beautiful. I would just stay with the standard. That one is a keeper. I am not much of a studio fan except for the tribute series. I would try to sell the studio and chip in some extra $ and get the custom. But for the standard, KEEP HER!!

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Customs are really nice, but so are Standards. If you trade your Standard, I think you will live to regret it (take it from a guy who has made that mistake more than once!!)

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
PASS!

Don't do this deal.

Save up until you have enough money, then go out and actually play and hear the Custom in person.

This way you'll be able to haggle price and make sure the one you buy is the one that sounds and plays to your liking.

You will most likely regret this trade.

The Birdman

Reaction score
I have both a 2013 Custom and a 2013 Standard. The Custom is great, but I would NOT trade the Standard for it! 2013 was a great year for Standards. I suggest you pass on the trade.

bblooz

Reaction score
I say trade the Studio and some cash for the LPC. If it's a good one, you'll end up with two great guitars at the end of the day!

Karldoog

Reaction score
I wonder why a guy would trade a top of the line guitar for a lesser model.
Suspicions: The frets are wearing out. The custom is too heavy. He like shiny new looking guitars.
BINGO. Exactly what I thought.

I wouldn't go for that deal. Especially since you already like your present axes.

Latest Threads