Would these machine heads fit in my R7?

U07110743

Reaction score
So i want to swap the original tuners (the plastic one) that came with my R7 because it won't stay in tune much and somehow there's a lot of pressure building up.

Would these fit? [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Gear-PMMH-015-Electric-Guitar/dp/B0002D0K3W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360996356&sr=8-2&keywords=gibson+tuners]Amazon.com: Gibson Gear PMMH-015 Electric Guitar Part: Musical Instruments[/ame]

If not, can you recommend me a machine head that fits in my R7 without drilling a bigger hole? Thanks! :thumb:

JMV

Reaction score
So i want to swap the original tuners (the plastic one) that came with my R7 because it won't stay in tune much and somehow there's a lot of pressure building up.

Would these fit? Amazon.com: Gibson Gear PMMH-015 Electric Guitar Part: Musical Instruments

If not, can you recommend me a machine head that fits in my R7 without drilling a bigger hole? Thanks! :thumb:

1. If you go with tuners that use a wider shaft, the holes need to be REAMED from the rear, NOT drilled. Taking a drill to a headstock can crack it.

2. Get the nut looked at and properly cut by a professional - that's much more likely your tuning problem (ever notice a ping sound right when it goes out of tune?).

3. Without reaming you're pretty much stuck with the Kluson style tuners I think.

U07110743

Reaction score
1. If you go with tuners that use a wider shaft, the holes need to be REAMED from the rear, NOT drilled. Taking a drill to a headstock can crack it.

2. Get the nut looked at and properly cut by a professional - that's much more likely your tuning problem (ever notice a ping sound right when it goes out of tune?).

3. Without reaming you're pretty much stuck with the Kluson style tuners I think.

yeah i do notice a ping sound and the tuning pegs are tight especially the low E string and the B string (maybe it's the way i wind strings?)

JMV

Reaction score
yeah i do notice a ping sound and the tuning pegs are tight especially the low E string and the B string (maybe it's the way i wind strings?)

That's from the string binding in the nut slots. If you get the nut properly cut, that should solve your problem.

AND should be cheaper than a new set of tuning machines, too. :thumb:

U07110743

Reaction score
That's from the string binding in the nut slots. If you get the nut properly cut, that should solve your problem.

AND should be cheaper than a new set of tuning machines, too. :thumb:

Thanks for the help! Rock on! :dude:

richp

Reaction score
you can also try a lubricant in the nut slot (insert joke here) some use graphite, chapstick or 'nut sauce'. chap stick solved my 'ping' problem w/ a Trad I had.

stinger

Reaction score
you can also try a lubricant in the nut slot (insert joke here) some use graphite, chapstick or 'nut sauce'. chap stick solved my 'ping' problem w/ a Trad I had.

I think this is necessary even after the nut gets filed properly, especially if the nut is made from corian.

U07110743

Reaction score

actually i put vaseline in the nut and bridge everytime i change strings but it doesn't do much.

jamman

Reaction score
I say 'nut sauce' every time you change the strings (But get the nut slots widened correctly) Works great . If all of the other good advice above fails , than just use a bigger hammer . Works everytime :wow:

:thumb:

Latest Threads