Would it be really bad idea to re-radius my es335?

C.J.

Reaction score
To 9.5"?
My #1 is a cbs strat which is 7.25" and I've been playing teles with medium jumbos on 9.5" all week and going back to the Gibson its apparent how much flatter and less 'slinky' the 12" board is.

Would I cause any technical issues if I re-radiused the board to 9.5" when I get it re-fret next week?

tabascom16

Reaction score
Once you get up to the higher frets the radius change will really thin out the fret board. Some trigonometry calculations could tell you exactly now much, but looking how thin the edge of the tele board is will give you an idea. You will also need to have a bridge that matched the 9.5" radius.

pshupe

Reaction score
In theory there is not much difference between those two radii.

Capture.JPG

This is taken at the worst case scenario at the end of the fret board - 2 1/4" width. This is less than 1/64" If you like high frets you could take the material off the frets instead of the board.

Cheers Peter.

C.J.

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. I guess I'll just use this as a perfect excuse to buy a thin line tele instead of butchering the 335.
I'm going with evo gold tall-thin wire so I think I'll take your advice pshupe and ask my guy to look in to a compound radius on the frets.