Would CS do this?

E.X

Reaction score
Academic, unless you tell me it's possible/of course they would.
(in which case i'm in trouble)

Had this talk with a friend about looks, left me wondering.. do you think the following's possible?
i) an alpine white SG
ii) with an alpine white headstock -ie not the black veneer they put everywhere- matching the body
iii) the Gibson logo color reversed, ie black
iv) the CS diamond on the headstock also black

I've seen a baritone version they did once that was kinda like that, so am thinking if that was O.K., then this probably is as well. Right?

* Just realised i posted outside the 'Other Gibsons' subforum, if a mod could kindly move this; sincere apologies.

afjungemann

Reaction score
I think if you have the coin, they will make about anything. I have seen some wild spec'd guitars on the Gibson custom instagram page.

Reactions: E.X

jskidder

Reaction score
Sounds ugly as hell to me, but if you've got the money they can make it happen. I think they're really backed up on production at the moment though, so not sure if they're currently accepting M2M orders right now. Might have to wait a bit.

E.X

Reaction score
Appreciate the replies folks :)

@jkes01 that's the one i had in mind, yeah; apparently not a baritone, lol, but still.

As to ugly, eye of the beholder. I'll leave it at that because if i start listing what i find ugly, nevermind unoriginal.. :)
Since this is all about discussion however, think alpine white everywhere; now think black logo and diamond as well as (courtesy of Schaller for everything mentioned after this) black bridge plus posts, black stoptail, ebony tuner keys and black top locking posts on the tuners.
That's option n1. I kinda really like matching headstocks albeit no, definitely not an all-black person, so a ready-made black SG is out of the question.

Option n2?
Walnut/mahogany (in terms of color), with again a matching headstock.

As mentioned, all academic at this point! Totally not a consideration, nope.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@jkes01
As mentioned, all academic at this point! Totally not a consideration, nope.

We believe you. HNGD for when it arrives.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don’t know but it sound like a really cool color scheme.

sonar1

Reaction score
Not ugly (also not CS) but not even close I guess
A542C13E-9BD3-466E-8320-54197E5331A3.jpeg

redking

Reaction score
They probably could but the headstock veneer would have to be painted because can't u can't dye a piece of wood pure white because the grain would show through. Probably not a big deal, but the paint would be subject to chipping down the road, exposing a different color of wood underneath, whereas with a holly veneer, it is dyed black all the way through. I would agree with @jskidder - fugly as hell!

moreles

Reaction score
Sounds ugly as hell to me
Sorry to agree, but I do. White and gold way better than white and black, particularly as the white yellows. Of course, like what you like. Gibson's CS has produced all kinds of stuff, including really, really crappy looking over-the-top nonsense, so I would expect them to agree to do your thoughtful project. Price? Who knows. Some of what you want is time-intensive despite being just cosmetic, so brace yourself.
im still waiting for a sister Rosetta Tharpe lester/sg
I have the stoptail version (don't like that malfunctiuoning trem) in the form of an '87 reissues '61 LP/SG Custom. The three pickups, wired "Frampton" style (not stock) work really well together. The guitar is phenomenal player for me, as '87 was slim-neck and no Fretless Wonder territory. My favorite (though far from most expensive!) electric to play -- it does everything.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to agree, but I do. White and gold way better than white and black, particularly as the white yellows. Of course, like what you like. Gibson's CS has produced all kinds of stuff, including really, really crappy looking over-the-top nonsense, so I would expect them to agree to do your thoughtful project. Price? Who knows. Some of what you want is time-intensive despite being just cosmetic, so brace yourself.
I have the stoptail version (don't like that malfunctiuoning trem) in the form of an '87 reissues '61 LP/SG Custom. The three pickups, wired "Frampton" style (not stock) work really well together. The guitar is phenomenal player for me, as '87 was slim-neck and no Fretless Wonder territory. My favorite (though far from most expensive!) electric to play -- it does everything.
please :photos:

-chris

Latest Threads