Would black speed knobs look good on this?

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty LP Paulinator!

I Put them on my Deluxe many years ago when I bought it and I liked the look. Had them on until just recently when I switched to Gold Reflectors, so I guess either or is good with me.

midnight-blues-albums-my-pictures-picture36901-1976-les-paul-deluxe-case.jpg

midnight-blues-albums-my-pictures-picture43005-76-lp-pg-blues.jpg

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe there is some sort of misunderstanding about the so-called "top hat" knobs.

I took some photos of knobs I had around: the one on the left is what I mean when I speak of "top hats" (in this case, with silver reflectors); the one on the right is often referred to as a "top hat", but I think its correct name should be "bell hat".
If you look at their shape, the difference is clear: the knob on the right has a sloped profile, and is indeed slippy. The knob on the left, the one I call a true "top hat", has a taller cylindrical profile (resembling the old silk hat it takes the name from) and offers a nice grip for both turning and pulling.

Of course YMMV, but I do think that with the knob on the right (the "bell knob" type) it is almost impossible to have enough grip for pulling it out, especially with sweaty fingers!

Anyway, it's good that there are many knob types, and it's so easy to swap them to find the knob that fits best one's preferences. Cheers!

knobs1.jpg

knobs2.jpg

Shiiiiit, my bad. Yeah, the ones that are hard to grasp are the "bell hats". Thanks for clarifying. :thumb:

Latest Threads