Would black speed knobs look good on this?

Longhair

Reaction score
With gold knobs. Honestly, I kinda like the black better, may go with that after all lol

As long as you like how the guitar looks, nobody else's opinion should matter unless they are paying for a replacement of equal or greater value.

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
Out of the three I kinda think black looks best. Do I just have bad taste?? haha

EasyAce

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking too. Currently it's got the stock amber top hats and an amber switch cap. I like the look but I thought big amber speed knobs would be too much amber. What I dislike most about these amber tophats is that the numbers are not painted white so they are very hard to read, on top of the knobs being too small.

Go for the speed knobs, definitely, if they're more comfortable to you, but when you look for them, make sure the markings are very visible. I've seen gold speed knobs where the markings weren't that visible. If amber is what you like, and they do look great on your guitar, amber they should be. If gold is what you like, go for the gold---in the sample you brought up they'd look great on that guitar, too . . .

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
I played around more with that editor, had a few things not quite accurate at first (tuners, pickup ring color, etc.). This is closer to how it will look, and I think I'll go with black after all. Thanks for all the feedback (positive and negative)!

Attachments

• Les Paul Studio Deluxe Black.jpg
    Les Paul Studio Deluxe Black.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 41

Smooth

Reaction score
I'd keep the gold/amber ones. They really do look good on this finish.

woodrow886

Reaction score
Talking of knob differences, do you folks like the speed knobs over the other types?

Just thought I'd ask as I've read lots on here about people swapping out other types for speed knobs. Are they considered better?

W.

aritak

Reaction score
Talking of knob differences, do you folks like the speed knobs over the other types?

Just thought I'd ask as I've read lots on here about people swapping out other types for speed knobs. Are they considered better?

W.

Visually I really like speed knobs, but from a practical point of view I find them slippy. Then, since they have a larger diameter than top hats, you have to twist them more to have the same amount of change. I find myself to be able to go quicker from, say, 10 to 5 with smaller diameter knobs. My personal favourites are reflectors. Just my humble opinion, of course!

To the OP: black speed knobs are not bad on that git, but I would go definitely gold.

zontar

Reaction score
I like the black speed knobs the best--but it would also look better with black pickup rings

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
I like the black speed knobs the best--but it would also look better with black pickup rings

I tried it with black pickup rings and it looks good. Maybe I'm weird but I really like it with one black and one cream pickup ring. I think I might go for that look (pic attached).

Attachments

• Les Paul SD Zebra.jpg
    Les Paul SD Zebra.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 30

aritak

Reaction score
I tried it with black pickup rings and it looks good. Maybe I'm weird but I really like it with one black and one cream pickup ring. I think I might go for that look (pic attached).

Well, if you like that two-tone combination, why don't you try gold knobs for the neck pu pots and black knobs for the bridge pu pots? Just sayin'... :)

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
Well, if you like that two-tone combination, why don't you try gold knobs for the neck pu pots and black knobs for the bridge pu pots? Just sayin'... :)

I did, cool concept, but the gold doesn't go so good with the cream and black. Now cream knobs for the neck might look awesome. I wonder if they make cream speed knobs??

Darth Stang

Reaction score
Ever consider doing a criss cross deal with the knob? Gold vol, black tone for the bridge and black vol gold tone for the neck?

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score
Ever consider doing a criss cross deal with the knob? Gold vol, black tone for the bridge and black vol gold tone for the neck?

Yeah, I'm gonna try that. Actually, not with gold but with cream (thought it might match the pickups better). I just ordered some cream speed knobs, so now I'm gonna have black and cream knobs to play around with.

woodrow886

Reaction score
Visually I really like speed knobs, but from a practical point of view I find them slippy. Then, since they have a larger diameter than top hats, you have to twist them more to have the same amount of change. I find myself to be able to go quicker from, say, 10 to 5 with smaller diameter knobs. My personal favourites are reflectors. Just my humble opinion, of course!

Cheers Aritak :thumb:

Paulinator

Banned
Reaction score

To the OP: black speed knobs are not bad on that git, but I would go definitely gold.

It's funny, I prefer speed knobs for the same reason that you prefer top hats. Plus, it's difficult to activate the coil taps (i.e. PULL on them) without my fingers slipping off of them due to the nature of the top-hat knob shape.

aritak

Reaction score
It's funny, I prefer speed knobs for the same reason that you prefer top hats. Plus, it's difficult to activate the coil taps (i.e. PULL on them) without my fingers slipping off of them due to the nature of the top-hat knob shape.

Maybe there is some sort of misunderstanding about the so-called "top hat" knobs.

I took some photos of knobs I had around: the one on the left is what I mean when I speak of "top hats" (in this case, with silver reflectors); the one on the right is often referred to as a "top hat", but I think its correct name should be "bell hat".
If you look at their shape, the difference is clear: the knob on the right has a sloped profile, and is indeed slippy. The knob on the left, the one I call a true "top hat", has a taller cylindrical profile (resembling the old silk hat it takes the name from) and offers a nice grip for both turning and pulling.

Of course YMMV, but I do think that with the knob on the right (the "bell knob" type) it is almost impossible to have enough grip for pulling it out, especially with sweaty fingers!

Anyway, it's good that there are many knob types, and it's so easy to swap them to find the knob that fits best one's preferences. Cheers!

knobs1.jpg

knobs2.jpg

Latest Threads