Would an R9 for a 68 Reissue be considered an even trade?

thornie

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm thinking about trading my excellent condition Darkburst R9 for an Ebony 68 Reissue. I don't have the COA or Lifton case for the R9 (sold the case, never had the COA). Is this an even trade? or should I ask for some cash for the difference? Honestly, if someone showed up to my door with a nice playing ebony '68 right now, I would do the trade in a second and call it even.

I'm just looking for some advice so I get the best value for my R9 when looking to trade for a '68 RI. Thanks!

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Curious about what makes a 68 RI more desirable in your mind than the R9? What are R9s going for these days-$3000-3500? Seems whoever traded with you would be getting the deal, no? I guess it depends on your point of view as well. Not sure what the 68s are going for but I don't think it's as high as an R9.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Depends on the R9 top & condition of both but I'd say the '68 plus $500 - $1,000...maybe even $1,500 for a primo R9 top. Check eBay to see what '68s are selling for.

ijustdontgiveaf

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
that depends on the condition of both.. if it's a nice 68' maybe with quilt-top and all extras (case, coa, etc.) then i could see myself doing that..

thornie

Reaction score
Curious about what makes a 68 RI more desirable in your mind than the R9? What are R9s going for these days-$3000-3500? Seems whoever traded with you would be getting the deal, no? I guess it depends on your point of view as well. Not sure what the 68s are going for but I don't think it's as high as an R9.

I love my R9, but I'm looking for something with a slightly different tone and a little more understated in looks. Also, after selling two historics recently because of $$ reasons, I can't justify owning two historics right now so I'm just kicking the idea around in my head.

My R9 isn't the most monster of tops, but it certainly holds it's own when it comes to flame. I purchased it from Mark's guitar loft and got a great deal on it. Any way, I played a 68 RI at a local shop the other day and I really dug it. Also, something about the black, block inlays, nickel hardware and cream binding has always been very visually appealing to me. More so than a flamey R9 for some reason. I guess I could always sell the R9, but after FINALLY selling these last two historics after nearly 9 months of trying to unload them, I'm wary of getting into all of that again.

KenG

Reaction score
Sounds like you're a "Custom" guy more than a "Standard" guy. I'd think value wise the R9 tops the 68 Re-issue (which isn't even an accurate RI of a 50's Custom I believe) but which one is better really depends on you.

decoy205

Reaction score
I'm sure there are some people who would love to do that deal.

27sauce

Reaction score
Depends on the R9 top & condition of both but I'd say the '68 plus $500 - $1,000...maybe even $1,500 for a primo R9 top. Check eBay to see what '68s are selling for.

I would agree with this.

loucamaro91

Reaction score
If a 68' floats your boat. I would bet you could move your R9 for $2700-3000 pretty fast and then buy a used 68RI for $2000-2500... It depends on condition of both guitars. If I had a 68RI in ebony, I would trade you and kick in some cash... I do have a 68RI, I don't think you could play it:)

LongBeach

Reaction score
What's been said.
Unless the R9 is beat to hell, then, maybe.

LPLord

Reaction score
All things being equal(for aruments sake),an R9 costs more than a '68 re-issue. If selling
your R9 is too aggravating/troublesome,and someone offers you that black '68 you like,
then why not. Only you can decide. However,I am one of those LP players that prefer
the '68 reissue to a '59 reissue. I have 3,one a black gloss(yes,they exist,but rare).To me, the '68 re-issues are the best LPs- BY FAR. Good luck !

thornie

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks to all who have replied. The R9 is certainly not beat to hell, but it has been my main guitar this past year and has seen a lot of play time. It's a player for sure, but in really excellent condition. I know people get really picky when it comes to buying R9's especially when the COA and lifton cases are not included (as in my case). I'll probably post a trade thread in the classifieds some time after the holidays if anyone following this thread is actually interested.

choppedcadillac

Reaction score
No. It sounds like one of those potential "should have kept that one" stories.

NowGibson

Reaction score
Put up the FS/FT ad and ask for best offer, state your case, exchange emails ect. Pretty sure you'll get some responses.

Latest Threads