would 500k tone pots make any difference?

toolshed

Reaction score
i have my lp classic set up with coil taps on the volume pots. I was wondering if i did put in 500k tone pots would it make a difference or would both the tone and volume pots need to be changed?

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It will make a big difference depending what Pickups you have in there.

toolshed

Reaction score
I have bare knuckle painkillers but I didn't know that they would make That big of a difference without changing the volumes

Mookakian

Reaction score
For volume Frequencies will become looser (less compressed feel) and you will be able to get more bite from the pickup, rool back a little and you will be able to control the added gain to your liking, on full you may find it too hot and drives the pre amp more than you need. As usual with an increase in gain gives a little more in the highs. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not.Your taper will be more gradual as you roll up/down.

Tone wise.... a more open feel on full, again slightly less compressed feel. Plus you will be able to get darker tones when rolling down to 1,2,3 due to the resistance increase, your taper will be more gradual as you roll up/down.

Just got to try it out i guess. Jonesy has nice tapered p/p's if your looking, his secret "x" brand are A ok, good luck:thumb:

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What were the original pots? 300K maybe?

Are you happy with the tone and feel you have now? I am going to experiment with same. Hard to say where I will end up with things once I get done playing with pickup configuration for different guitars. Always an adventure.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
Depending on how you wire them ('50s VS modern) will make a difference in the taper behavior in the volume pots. Many here like to replace both or go to 500K on the volume and 300K on the tone if things are pretty bright or the tone control seems to be ineffective until turned down to 5 or so. I'm a fan of 500K for both but it's a matter of personal taste. By all means experiment! Then you can find YOUR sound... :dude:

toolshed

Reaction score
i have already had the volumes changed to push pull pots but i am not for sure if they are 500k or what value.... I was just wondering if changing the "tone" pots by them self to 500k would make any difference.

Mookakian

Reaction score
i have already had the volumes changed to push pull pots but i am not for sure if they are 500k or what value.... I was just wondering if changing the "tone" pots by them self to 500k would make any difference.

tone wise.... A more open feel on full, again slightly less compressed feel. Plus you will be able to get darker tones when rolling down to 1,2,3 due to the resistance increase, your taper will be more gradual as you roll up/down.

The volume pot comment was also just a guide to what happens with vol 500k compared to say 250k, for your reference;)

Pickups will react differently depending what they are, but generally this is what you will find.

toolshed

Reaction score
sweet.... so now the question is to leave the orange caps or change to oil caps..haha
The volume pot comment was also just a guide to what happens with vol 500k compared to say 250k, for your reference;)

Pickups will react differently depending what they are, but generally this is what you will find.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
Try them both and see which sound better, the caps that is. I've used both and it depends on the guitar and pups as to my preference. :cool:

Latest Threads