Worth the $$ To Upgrade from LP Traditional Pro to R8 VOS??

dwk302

Reaction score
So I ran into an amazing deal for an R8 VOS ($2500). I have a traditional pro and have never played an R8. But as a lifetime LP aficionado I don't think it is possible for me to dislike the R8, which by all accounts is one of the best reissue LPs. Question is, is it worth the money to upgrade?

JMB1984

Reaction score
Assuming it's a good one, yes it is.

The R8 is going to have a early 50's thick neck though.

If your Trad Pro is a 60's neck you might not like the fatter neck.

Backstage

Reaction score
Yep, the neck might be a problem for you but apart from that: Of course!

acstorfer

Reaction score
So I ran into an amazing deal for an R8 VOS ($2500). I have a traditional pro and have never played an R8. But as a lifetime LP aficionado I don't think it is possible for me to dislike the R8, which by all accounts is one of the best reissue LPs. Question is, is it worth the money to upgrade?

Do you love your Traditional? Don't get caught up on models. Reissues are very nice guitars, but it doesn't mean it's the "perfect" guitar for you. If you do get the R-8 and don't like it, can you return it?

JMB1984

Reaction score
Do you love your Traditional? Don't get caught up on models. Reissues are very nice guitars, but it doesn't mean it's the "perfect" guitar for you. If you do get the R-8 and don't like it, can you return it?

+1

And to add one more thing, can you try the R8 before you buy?

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get the R8 at a good price, and dont like it, you can always sell it. :shock:

dwk302

Reaction score

Yes. I have an epiphone with a fat neck. That was my first guitar, so I'm not unfamiliar with fat necks. Both are equally playable to me.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
That's a damn good price for a R8!

That's a good price for a new plaintop R8... they can be found significantly lower used, sometimes like $1800 in good shape. If that's a figured top, than it's a good used price.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the neck of the r8 will be MUCH thicker!

This. My Traditional Pro is the skinniest neck I've ever played or owned for a Les Paul (and I love it). Statistically, an R8 has one of the fattest necks in the Les Paul lineup so you're going to be going from one extreme to another. You're definitely going to want to try one out first and see if it bothers you.

zslane

Reaction score
The really fat neck on my R8 is the only thing that prevents me from absolutely loving mine. I'm just not used to it, despite owning Les Pauls since 1996. None of my previous LPs ever had necks that thick, so I've never associated that degree of fatness to the Les Paul model.

I'm kinda wishing I had held out for a CR9 instead.

strat les sg

Reaction score
No,I have one as well as 2 trad. pros,I think its the mystique of the reissues,I have a CC as well as studios & standards that I like better,also just got a Prs SE Marsden,that I even like playin more,now Im lookin to trade my 58 for a Prs stripped 58,also a Gibson 58 neck is much larger than the 50' s neck on the other LPs.

josebcn

Reaction score
Are you unhappy with your Trad Pro?I'd try before buy, the neck could be an issue.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Probably not.

As others said, it's even thicker than the regular 50's neck. It has very wide shoulders that make it feel "fat" and very round in the hand. I have this neck on a 57' RI Custom. For me, the neck is very comfortable. You might want to find any store that either has an R7, BB7 or an R8 to try one out first.

dwk302

Reaction score
No,I have one as well as 2 trad. pros,I think its the mystique of the reissues,I have a CC as well as studios & standards that I like better,also just got a Prs SE Marsden,that I even like playin more,now Im lookin to trade my 58 for a Prs stripped 58,also a Gibson 58 neck is much larger than the 50' s neck on the other LPs.

Sorry, did you say your are looking to trade your R8 for a PRS!? Let alone a "stripped" PRS?? You can stop right there. Thanks for your input.

Are you unhappy with your Trad Pro?I'd try before buy, the neck could be an issue.

No. I love it. I think it's better than the standards. I've always wanted a CS Reissue, and thought this would be a good opportunity to own one, give such a good price.

I've heard that Gibson slimmed the neck down a bit in their post 2009 models. Any truth to that?

dangerdog

Reaction score
Yes. I have an epiphone with a fat neck. That was my first guitar, so I'm not unfamiliar with fat necks. Both are equally playable to me.

an R8 fat neck could well be in totally different league of fat than an Epi.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
Upgrading is such a personal thing. I've found a dollar amount can't be put on it.

You may want to ask yourself, what you're looking for in a Les Paul. From a pure dollar approach, it probably doesn't make sense. But from an emotional point of view, it may be the thing to do. With guitars, it's about enjoyability, not what makes sense.

If I went with what made sense, I would still have a $300 Epi as my only guitar.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Latest Threads