"Worst trade ever'

jan janson

Banned
Reaction score
My dad told me this one. He was living in SFcA in 1968 when the reissues came out or at least you could order one, so he did. Ordered a 1968 GT with p-90s. My dad traded a showman top a fender jazz bass and case to get the GT.anyway after a couple months my dad got real nervous and took a ES 345 that was really used he said. Does that sound that bad? He couldn't forgive himself.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Are we talking hindsight/current value, or at-the-time sensibility? A lot of it depends on age of the Jazz Bass and 345. A good clean Showman, especially a blonde, Dick Dale Showman and a good pre-CBS Jazz Bass would now be worth more than the GT. OTOH, the 345, if it's a PAF-era example would be worth the most of the the three, even if "really used," assuming original parts, no breaks, crazy mods, etc. I'm just kind of guessing that, a "really used" ES-345 in 1968 was likely a fifties/early-sixties guitar.

jan janson

Banned
Reaction score
Are we talking hindsight/current value, or at-the-time sensibility? A lot of it depends on age of the Jazz Bass and 345. A good clean Showman, especially a blonde, Dick Dale Showman and a good pre-CBS Jazz Bass would now be worth more than the GT. OTOH, the 345, if it's a PAF-era example would be worth the most of the the three, even if "really used," assuming original parts, no breaks, crazy mods, etc. I'm just kind of guessing that, a "really used" ES-345 in 1968 was likely a fifties/early-sixties guitar.
Right on! I'm starting to get it! The 345 cost him $330 and the Jazz bass was about 2 years old he bought the case and guitar new. The 1968 reissue was about $350 back then. does that help? the 345 was at least 5 years old in 1968.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Right on! I'm starting to get it! The 345 cost him $330 and the Jazz bass was about 2 years old he bought the case and guitar new. The 1968 reissue was about $350 back then. does that help? the 345 was at least 5 years old in 1968.
Does he still have the 345 today? A '63 (or earlier) 345 would be my pick of the lot, unless it's really trashed. Certainly the best "investment" to hold onto of the lot, anyway.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah a 345 all day.... his nerves worked in his favor..... even better if he still had it. ;)

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
An unmolested 1968 LP Goldtop is worth at least twice as much as a late 60's 345. As everyone else has commented, a 1959 to 1964 would be worth at least as much today as the '68 LP GT. Everything depends on condition and authenticity.

Anyway, the fact that the dad regrets accepting the 345 means he did not bond with it. Since I look at the bad side of things, maybe he would not have bonded with a heavy version of the '68 LP GT. He might even have decided to re-rout it for (yuck) DiMarzio humbuckers. Given the strange course of history, I might even have the '68 LP GT that was never delivered to your dad. Mine ended up in OK, and then headed west again. Some dastardly owner sold it to me with DiMarzio pups.

Latest Threads