working with 6/6 nylon

blamo

Reaction score
hola

so I came across a sheet of 6/6 Nylon and one of my guitars needs a new nut so i figured I'd try replacing it with this nylon instead of bone as usual.

well....to my surprise.....nylon is not easy to work with...

i cut an oversize blank out of the sheet that i got, which was a pain to do. my tool collection is small, so I used a table saw (no band saw available) thinking oh, this will cut like butter! nope. Nylon heats up fast and i got some melting going on. anyways. when I finally managed to get it cut i had a couple oversized nuts in hand.

i started the preliminary shaping last night on my sanding station and wow... it just heats up and barely any material gets removed. I'm worried how this will pan out when I go cut the slots.

anyways.... anyone have pointers on working with Nylon? should i just go back to trusty bone?

alk-3

Reaction score
this is what I go through every time I cut a nut. I HATE nylon.. but it has to be done sometimes.
I use a belt sander with 60 grit paper to rough it out, then use 120 grit in the belt sander to polish it. then a further polishing with 220. this leaves it shiny, but you have to go slow to avoid melting it.
To cut the slots I cut little "v" shapes for each string with a sharp razor blade, then refine the V into a U with regular nut files. It takes quite a while, but it can be done.

dazzypig

Reaction score
this is what I go through every time I cut a nut. I HATE nylon.. but it has to be done sometimes.
I use a belt sander with 60 grit paper to rough it out, then use 120 grit in the belt sander to polish it. then a further polishing with 220. this leaves it shiny, but you have to go slow to avoid melting it.
To cut the slots I cut little "v" shapes for each string with a sharp razor blade, then refine the V into a U with regular nut files. It takes quite a while, but it can be done.

Haha, that's what I call timing. I'll be doing this myself in a week or two...

blamo

Reaction score

this is most excellent information. you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thank-you sir.

Latest Threads