Working on a new single cut build

ejendres

Reaction score
Not a Les Paul. Big thanks to pshupe for helping with the templates.

I've only done a few builds and this my first time going fully from scratch. I'm learning a lot :lol:

3 piece mahogany neck blank:

Applewood top courtesy of pshupe.

Leveling my mahogany blank

Rough shaped

Semi-hollowing

Glued up

Truss rod channel

Headstock angle

Very happy with the fit

I got two blanks out of the glue up

Neck trimmed

Fretboard

Body sanded close the top

F hole cleaned up

Swimming pool hogged out

I resawed a veneer from some of the neck left overs

Neck pocket and string holes

Getting there

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously this is going to have pickguard mounted pickups?

Whats going on in the middle of this that you need such a huge cavity?

ejendres

Reaction score
Obviously this is going to have pickguard mounted pickups?

Whats going on in the middle of this that you need such a huge cavity?
I'm not 100% sure what pickups I wanted so I just did a swimming pool route.

In all honesty I wish I hadn't gone for the swimming pool. I probably wont do it again.

BPW666

Reaction score
Nice body shape, i do love me any asymmetrical bottom.

archey

Reaction score
Very cool design. Clean looking work.

mistermikev

Reaction score
like how you did the truss rod if I understand correctly... routed two sides of it then drilled to bridge the gap? Very nice looking build.

ejendres

Reaction score
like how you did the truss rod if I understand correctly... routed two sides of it then drilled to bridge the gap? Very nice looking build.
Yes sir! It only works if you have a veneer because it doesn't look great otherwise. Still trying to figure out how to do the truss when I'm not using a veneer because I'd like to have the nut in full contact with the neck not spanning the truss rod channel.

mistermikev

Reaction score
Not sure I follow on the "doesn't look great" - can you elaborate?
I'm currently working on a "u2" style build that is my first angled headstock. I've been thinking about this quite a bit. (mine will have an overlay of 1/8" ebony) For me... the selling point would be reinforcement albeit very little. I had considered just routing it and then cutting a piece to glue in... as I am a little afraid of trying to drill and not being perfectly on center due to the awkward angle and can't use my drill press. Hadn't considered that my overlay will cover it for the most part. How did you drill? any tips there?
thank you again for sharing!

ejendres

Reaction score
Not sure I follow on the "doesn't look great" - can you elaborate?
I'm currently working on a "u2" style build that is my first angled headstock. I've been thinking about this quite a bit. (mine will have an overlay of 1/8" ebony) For me... the selling point would be reinforcement albeit very little. I had considered just routing it and then cutting a piece to glue in... as I am a little afraid of trying to drill and not being perfectly on center due to the awkward angle and can't use my drill press. Hadn't considered that my overlay will cover it for the most part. How did you drill? any tips there?
thank you again for sharing!
You end up with a fairly long channel along the headstock because of the depth of the truss rod channel. I just think its ugly.

I seated the adjustment head under the nut because I was using a fairly long rod. If you are using a shorted rod and can keep the entire rod under the fret board you could drill a smaller access hole and not have the long channel.

mistermikev

Reaction score
You end up with a fairly long channel along the headstock because of the depth of the truss rod channel. I just think its ugly.

I seated the adjustment head under the nut because I was using a fairly long rod. If you are using a shorted rod and can keep the entire rod under the fret board you could drill a smaller access hole and not have the long channel.

got it. I've got a 17.5" so... and a 25" scale neck so... I'll be in the same boat. Is that a 17 degree headstock? Mine is 14 so... might be a bit longer channel for me. anywho, thanks for the explanation.

pshupe

Reaction score
Yes sir! It only works if you have a veneer because it doesn't look great otherwise. Still trying to figure out how to do the truss when I'm not using a veneer because I'd like to have the nut in full contact with the neck not spanning the truss rod channel.
I usually route right through especially with a steep headstock angle. I have put a small block of maple at the nut and truss rod cover screw.
If it’s a shollower headstock angle do not route straight through. I use Allen key type truss rods so need short access. The shirt end of my Allen key is less than 1”, so not much access is needed.

Looks great. BTW.

Cheers Peter.

ejendres

Reaction score
got it. I've got a 17.5" so... and a 25" scale neck so... I'll be in the same boat. Is that a 17 degree headstock? Mine is 14 so... might be a bit longer channel for me. anywho, thanks for the explanation.
I've got a 25.5" with a 12 deg headstock.

I usually route right through especially with a steep headstock angle. I have put a small block of maple at the nut and truss rod cover screw.
If it’s a shollower headstock angle do not route straight through. I use Allen key type truss rods so need short access. The shirt end of my Allen key is less than 1”, so not much access is needed.

Looks great. BTW.

Cheers Peter.
I've been thinking about doing it that way. How do you go about clamping the wood without closing the TR channel?

mistermikev

Reaction score
I've got a 25.5" with a 12 deg headstock.

I've been thinking about doing it that way. How do you go about clamping the wood without closing the TR channel?
well, I was thinking that I would use a dowel with wax or the actual nut to occupy the channel, then drill a hole in a piece of wood... use a hand saw to cutoff a section, , then clamp across the first fret on the neck. That might all change if I have to try it tho! ;>

ejendres

Reaction score
well, I was thinking that I would use a dowel with wax or the actual nut to occupy the channel, then drill a hole in a piece of wood... use a hand saw to cutoff a section, , then clamp across the first fret on the neck. That might all change if I have to try it tho! ;>
If you try it out report back, I'm curious about how it will work.

mistermikev

Reaction score
If you try it out report back, I'm curious about how it will work.
having seen your neck I can now see it better in my mind and will likely do it similarly. If that changes I will def report back!

Lucaslongoria

Reaction score
Awesome design bro! I love that apple top!

With best regards,
Lucas Longoria.