Wood questions

shickma0

Reaction score
Hi guys, now that I have my Bartlett plans and mahogany I’m working on getting some maple for a couple of Les pauls. I was looking on eBay and noticed that suitable Les Paul tops are $150-200 and was wondering what you all think is a reasonable price for a top and if you had any suppliers that you would recommend. Thanks!

pshupe

Reaction score
Where are you located? If you are looking for a highly figured book matched top then that price isn't bad. It all depends on the amount of figure you want.

Keep in mind that a lot of the original bursts, maybe all ?, were slip matched and not book matched. So if you can find a nice piece of figured maple that is about 8" wide by 4/4 ( 1" thick) and about 40" long it should be much cheaper than a billet that is figured and thick enough for a book matched top and it will also have to be re-sawn.

Cheers Peter.

shickma0

Reaction score
I just purchased a plain maple top for about 60$ shipped, for one of them that will be a solid color but still looking for a reasonable price for a flame top for a burst.

shickma0

Reaction score
Where are you located? If you are looking for a highly figured book matched top then that price isn't bad. It all depends on the amount of figure you want.

Keep in mind that a lot of the original bursts, maybe all ?, were slip matched and not book matched. So if you can find a nice piece of figured maple that is about 8" wide by 4/4 ( 1" thick) and about 40" long it should be much cheaper than a billet that is figured and thick enough for a book matched top and it will also have to be re-sawn.

Cheers Peter.
Thanks for the reply! I’m located in Indiana if that helps any. I considered resawing, however I don’t have a planer or thicknesser, so I use a router and a thicknessing jig which has worked fine on my mahogany but is quite time consuming and prone to error. I’m also not looking for particularly flamed wood, just a bit of figure to make it more interesting. Attached are some photos of what I’m going for

40EA6B17-B5AB-424E-A879-C9E20E098CA5.jpegFDED5D98-5579-4E53-A300-F1867E35828F.jpeg60E4EBDC-DDEC-416A-B72B-E707ADA3B72A.jpeg

61LPSG

Reaction score
If you have a lumber yard nearby check their stock.
If you don't need book matched it's not that pricey.
I bought a pretty flamey board about 8/4" x 9" x 48" for $22. It was rough sawn, so it will be more for finish planed.
I didn't need book matched because I intended to do a gold top, but most lumber yards would re-saw for a slight up-charge.

P1010201 sm.jpg

archey

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I’m located in Indiana if that helps any. I considered resawing, however I don’t have a planer or thicknesser, so I use a router and a thicknessing jig which has worked fine on my mahogany but is quite time consuming and prone to error. I’m also not looking for particularly flamed wood, just a bit of figure to make it more interesting. Attached are some photos of what I’m going for

View attachment 414954View attachment 414955View attachment 414956
Hey I'm in Indiana too. Go check out Northwest Lumber. They have some nice 4/4 curly maple long enough to slip match like Peter suggested. They may have 8/4 curly, but I'm not positive. At any rate one of the owners named Mike builds acoustics. He would be able to lead you in the right direction for a nice lp top. They can also mill it for you as well, although they aren't cheap.

shickma0

Reaction score
Hey I'm in Indiana too. Go check out Northwest Lumber. They have some nice 4/4 curly maple long enough to slip match like Peter suggested. They may have 8/4 curly, but I'm not positive. At any rate one of the owners named Mike builds acoustics. He would be able to lead you in the right direction for a nice lp top. They can also mill it for you as well, although they aren't cheap.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion I’ll check them out this weekend. They’re only 25 minutes away from where I’m located.

ARandall

Reaction score
Curlymaple do maple cut to size for guitars......or at least as close to as you'd want given it has to acclimatise to wherever its shipped to.
I've gone for the private stock option.....it has more variation in size, but covers 'non monster tops' quite well....although the luthier material section actually has some cheap 1 piece tops available.

archey

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion I’ll check them out this weekend. They’re only 25 minutes away from where I’m located.
They carry maple, mahogany, rosewood, Gaboon and macassar ebony, ziricote, wenge ect. Pretty much everything we builders need.