Wood Filler on Les Pauls

Mats A

Reaction score
I've read about using Wood Filler on guitars and that it kills tone and sustain. If so, did they use Wood Filler in the same way back in the 1950's like they do nowadays both on the USA and CS made?

I got a 2005 Les Paul Standard Faded and it should have less Wood Filler than a regular LP Standard. It's one of the best sounding LPs I've had and I've had a few.

Attachments

• gibson-les-paul-wood-filler.png
    gibson-les-paul-wood-filler.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 60

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I´ve red about using Wood Filler on guitars and that it kills tone and sustain. If so did they use Wood Filler in the same way back in the 1950´s like they do nowdays both on the USA and CS made? I got a 2005 Les Paul Standard Faded and it should have less Wood Filler than a regular LP Standard. It´s one of the best sounding LP´s i´ve had and i´ve had a few.
They have used PORE filler, wood filler is entirely different thing.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I´ve red about using Wood Filler on guitars and that it kills tone and sustain. If so did they use Wood Filler in the same way back in the 1950´s like they do nowdays both on the USA and CS made? I got a 2005 Les Paul Standard Faded and it should have less Wood Filler than a regular LP Standard. It´s one of the best sounding LP´s i´ve had and i´ve had a few.
I’m really very sure no “ wood filler” was used. Now “ pore filler”? Yes indeed......
They have used PORE filler, wood filler is entirely different thing.
+1

p.s. As a matter of fact,where did y’all read this info at???

p.s.s. Gonna need pictures of said Les Paul.....

ARandall

Reaction score
Ah, another one of those vague and slightly suspicious threads.......

No detail, just a 'I heard 'x'.
It would have been interesting to know just how these 'ficticious' people tested out such a claim. I'm sure a little critical thinking/personal research should have netted a reasonable conclusion even before the necessity of starting a thread.

And for the record, practically every gibson ever made has wood/grainfiller. The only ones exempt are some of the base level faded/matte ones where the grainfill is omitted and the pores are very obvious.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
If the finish is smooth on your guitar, then grain filler was used. So, yes, they even used it in the old days when all guitars sounded great.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok i ment grain filler! It´s possible to choose the wrong word you know without these funny guys joking about it. I red it here some time ago so i guess i remembered wrong.
http://www.theguitarcolumn.com/2012/05/les-paul-standard-faded-best-sounding.html
I have read this article and this notion is flawed a bit,... The fact the entire body is covered with a nitro lacquer that is thicker than the pore/grain filler is,.. so wouldn't that be more dampening to the resonance than the grain filler?.... Only the pores are filled not the entire back,.. otherwise you would see no grain at all. Even so,..its a solid body of wood and the outside surface is of little consequence.

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Latest Threads