Wondering if i should trade my telecaster for a Les paul

jim777

Reaction score
I wouldn't part with either of my Teles, but as others have said there are things you can really only do on a Tele, and the same goes for the Les Paul. I'd throw a humbucker in the bridge, like a 'lil '59 or my preference, a Dimarzio Chopper, and save for a Les Paul.
That Studio looks like someone took a blowtorch to it. Not my thing but how it plays and sounds is more important.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I found a 1995 studio for sale, with the ebony fretboard which I really want. I know many say those early 90s studios with the ebony boards are great. It's not too expensive and comes with a case and all but it has I guess a "unique" finish on it. It was originally black but was given a custom finish, curious to hear opinions on it.
No.
but I like Gibson finishes...

-Chris

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I found a 1995 studio for sale, with the ebony fretboard which I really want. I know many say those early 90s studios with the ebony boards are great. It's not too expensive and comes with a case and all but it has I guess a "unique" finish on it. It was originally black but was given a custom finish, curious to hear opinions on it.
Wow. You have probably found the ugliest studio ever made. :thumb:

jstarr823

Reaction score
Looks like a “Kill It With Fire” model. Seriously, though. There’s so many affordable options out there when it comes to Studios, so I’d personally pass on that one. That’s a $400 guitar... tops.

David Garner

Reaction score
I love Teles for a lot of things, but I prefer LPs. For what you like to play it’s kind of a no brainer.

Get a Marshall in a box pedal until you can upgrade the amp though. You might try that first. A Tele on the bridge does a decent impression of a Les Paul on the bridge. You will never get close to the LP neck with a single coil Tele neck pickup. If you play mostly on the bridge, I’d get the pedal first and then re-assess. The American Special has Texas Specials, and those are fantastic rock pickups. I wouldn’t bother switching to a Tele size humbucker. If the Texas Specials won’t get you there, just get a guitar that will.

Slick Willy

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me. Let me firstly say I’m a Gibson guy. I don’t like strats. They just don’t feel good to me. But I love my telecaster. I told the op to try that pickup because it helped me when I didn’t have a Gibson. My 2 main guitars are my Les Paul and my 51 RI telecaster.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, I never really bonded with my Tele, a bit to thin for me, even Strats are to thin for me overall. Love my LP's entirely though. Sell the Tele and start your LP journey.

Last edited:

Sectric

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the opinions, I ended up buying a used 2003 studio and have been very happy with it. Apparently it was a limited edition run for guitar center with platinum hardware. Just thought I'd update you all.

Sectric

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the opinions, I ended up buying a used 2003 studio and have been very happy with it. Apparently it was a limited edition run for guitar center with platinum hardware. Just thought I'd update you all.
It wouldnt let me upload a picture of mine so I found a picture of another online but mine looks identical.

Attachments

mistermikev

Reaction score
i dunno, tele and lp are two completely dif animals to me. They just don't feel anything alike. Love them both, but they both make me play different, and have differing things they are good at. Can't imagine how someone could 'hate' the single coil sound... it's just not ideal for alice in chains. I suggest you don't sell, but rather buy a les paul. then you will start to appreciate the differences between them and what they both can and can't do.

Sectric

Reaction score
i dunno, tele and lp are two completely dif animals to me. They just don't feel anything alike. Love them both, but they both make me play different, and have differing things they are good at. Can't imagine how someone could 'hate' the single coil sound... it's just not ideal for alice in chains. I suggest you don't sell, but rather buy a les paul. then you will start to appreciate the differences between them and what they both can and can't do.
I did, I have both now. Thanks for your opinion

LocoTex

Reaction score
Very nice Studio. Never seen that model before.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I did, I have both now. Thanks for your opinion
You may not like the tele now.

But I bet you would regret getting rid of it, a little while down the road.

Glad you could get both.

:jam:

LocoTex

Reaction score
Post some pictures of it when you can. Rather unique looking.

Sectric

Reaction score
You may not like the tele now.

But I bet you would regret getting rid of it, a little while down the road.

Glad you could get both.

:jam:
I do like it, it's just not fit for the style I usually play, I just dont have alot of money so its tempting alot of the time to sell it when I dont play it often. I do know in the future I'll want a single coil guitar though.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Reaction score
If you haven't dumped the Tele yet, I would say with you having a Fender amp (if tube), buy an EHX Soul Food and jack the V_out of the SF up with gain at zero and Tone neutral. You just might change your mind when you boost the Tele signal into a Fender tube preamp.... It'll get fat and sassy real quick like.... By all means get a Lester but I wouldn't dump the Tele.... A Tele running hot into a tube preamp is righteous....especially on the neck pickup....

A boost between a Strat/Tele and a Fender amp can make you moist in all your special places and the amp is not having to be cranked so loud to get greasy, that you are killing critters and small chilluns....