Wolfetone's Whopping 25% Off Sale Until Further Notice

mdubya

Reaction score
2016 ES-335 58 Reissue
I am positive the Wolfetones will sound great.

Again, I would tell Wolfe exactly what you are hoping for and let him recommend the set.

I have played a few sets (can't remember if some were Legends or Dr. Vintage) including a few sets of Marshallheads. They each exhibited great neutral warm and clear tones without mud or congestion. I think the owner of the Marshalheads was disappointed that they were not more hot, but I really liked them.

That said, the MHS in my '59 RI ES 335 are perfectly fine. They are not extraordinary, but they don't have any weaknesses either.

MHS I are bright and raunchy.

MHS II are smooth and clear.

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Good time to be in the toilet paper or pasta manufacturing business. Bad time for the rest of us.
Speaking of TP, I happened to go to Costco a few weeks back and caught them just as they were pulling out new pallets. It was flying off faster than they cold unwrap the pallets. After seeing hundreds of people on Facebook unable to find any, I though "Now that's a great idea!" and bought a case of 30. For the next 30 US orders after that, everyone got a fee roll of TP.
No sh*t. :rofl:

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wondering what you'd recommend for an '08 SG Classic? Stock Gibson P90s don't sound bad, but I am missing a RW bridge for silent middle position.

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Wondering what you'd recommend for an '08 SG Classic? Stock Gibson P90s don't sound bad, but I am missing a RW bridge for silent middle position.
Typically, P90s aren't RWRP because they only cancel hum well when both volume controls are set the same. As you differ them more and more, more hum will enter the system.
However, I will make them that way if you'd like.

My favorite pairing is the Mean and Meaner. Fat, raunchy, nasty, and still cleans up and behaves nicely.

SG Classic you say? Bat-Wing P90's that suspend from the pickguard?

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Typically, P90s aren't RWRP because they only cancel hum well when both volume controls are set the same. As you differ them more and more, more hum will enter the system.
However, I will make them that way if you'd like.

My favorite pairing is the Mean and Meaner. Fat, raunchy, nasty, and still cleans up and behaves nicely.

SG Classic you say? Bat-Wing P90's that suspend from the pickguard?
Yes, I do agree that the RWRP only works when both volume controls are at equal settings. I can usually work that, even though the hum reduction varies. I have a set like that in my R0 LPS, and do prefer them to the stock pickups even when using the switch to select a single pickup.

The nastier bridge paired with a less nasty neck pickup is a perfect setup.

Yes! SG Classic ('08), complete with batwing PG and suspended P90s. The only modification to the guitar has been the harness (550k CTS pots, K40Y .015uf and .022uf caps - neck/bridge) and faber inserts with a Gibson historic wireless ABR bridge. Bought it on a whim as the price was a motivating factor, though the beefy, rounded neck was the deal maker. Not a fan of narrow nutted, slim taper necks as my finger tips are too wide for that and my hands are larger than average.

On a side note, I was given a Legend PAF that went into a single pickup, carved top, LP style guitar. I absolutely love the pickup, and have full confidence in your skills as a winder!

WolfeMacleod

V.I.P. Member
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Yes! SG Classic ('08), complete with batwing PG and suspended P90s.

On a side note, I was given a Legend PAF that went into a single pickup, carved top, LP style guitar. I absolutely love the pickup, and have full confidence in your skills as a winder!
I'll do RWRP, not a problem. It will need to be noted in an additional notes field during checkout.

There is one minor issue with Bat-wing P90s. They use a small threaded spring clip called a U-clip or Tinenrman clip on the ears on an inverted dog-eared P90 frame. NO company has or makes them that small....I think Gibson has them custom made. Been looking for years. The existing clips need to be re-used.

Glad to hear you're digging that Legend. Love to hear recordings if you're able to make any!

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll do RWRP, not a problem. It will need to be noted in an additional notes field during checkout.

There is one minor issue with Bat-wing P90s. They use a small threaded spring clip called a U-clip or Tinenrman clip on the ears on an inverted dog-eared P90 frame. NO company has or makes them that small....I think Gibson has them custom made. Been looking for years. The existing clips need to be re-used.

Glad to hear you're digging that Legend. Love to hear recordings if you're able to make any!
Placed my order today! I'll be sure to save the threaded spring clips, too. Once upon a time I was a purchasing agent for hi-tech electronics companies (tv, sub millimeter, millimeter wave). Their products were filled with miniature hardware, etc. that were not necessarily off the shelf, and often difficult to find. Sourcing a project for those items would have been one of the interesting things to come across my desk. I'll look around for the fun of it, you never know - right?

Henry

drylandfish

Reaction score
Let me know if those clips and screws are the same size as humbucker height adjustment screws, will ya? I'm pretty sure they are, but not 100% sure.
Those are from my 2019 Les Paul Junior Tribute DC. The picture above should be one of the ones I emailed you on Sept 17, 2018. I have not had the pickguard off of the guitar since then. I'm not sure if the hardware is the same size or not. I'll take it apart and measure things if you need me to. Say the word.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a Legend in the neck and Marshalhead in the bridge?

bp-plickner

Reaction score
re: from above

From Mr Macleod’s website
“The Marshallhead bridge pairs especially well with the Dr. Vintage neck to create an incredible range of tones.”

LocoTex

Reaction score
I bought a Meaner P90 recently for my 2014 MM. Had to route a little wood under the pickup to mount. Fit perfectly and Dayum! Vast improvement over the pole piece magnet P90-S. I left the original neck pickup in place as it sounds pretty good there. I loves me some good P90!

Latest Threads