Wolfetones vs Bare Knuckle vs Suhr?

charliebrown

Reaction score
Have shortlisted these three sets of pickups and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on them? I am looking for something versatile which will be able to cover cleanish stuff to hard rock and will clean up well with the volume knob.

1. BKP The Mule
2. Wolfetone Dr. Vintage neck + Marshallhead bridge
3. Suhr Thornbuckers

Thanks!

stephen78

Reaction score
I had the Marshallhead/Dr V combo in my LP. Currently trying out some Guitarforce pups (another great option), but I’m keeping the Wolfetones in case I wanna reinstall those. They are a fantastic set. The bridge has the hot PAF vibe, with lots of that signature honk. When I had it I preferred it set a little lower...still hot but more vintage-y sounding. The Dr. V is a great neck pickup, and allows for nice middle position tones. I believe Wolfe still has the 25% off sale going. I’d start there and see if you like it. If you want versatile that’s the set to go with. I could go from Zep to Metallica with the Marshallhead (of course depending on your amp/settings as well).

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
The only set I’ve tried of the ones listed above are the Mules. They are excellent pickups and will do what you are asking. I really like mine.
Same here, but depending on where the OP is the BK Mules might be pretty expensive with import charges, etc. To be honest they've gone up a huge amount since I bought mine (fitted to my 1990 Epiphone LP). I fitted CTS 500K pots, 0.015uF tone cap on the neck tone control (0.022uF on the bridge) and I can dial in the sound really well using the volume and tone knobs.

In fact I was just having a play around with the heights today as I recently got the guitar back from a re-fret. The bridge in particular is quite sensitive to height and for the first time doing this I found it was really obvious when I hit the 'sweet spot'. Other times I just end up going for a balance between neck and bridge when I play with heights.

Mine have worn nicely too as they have the nickel covers, but no doubt Wolftone give you that option too if you aren't going for uncovered pickups. You can see the wear on the bottom edge of the neck pickup here:

Post refret 1.jpg

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried Wolfetones, but I have tried Bare Knuckles pretty extensively. Mules, Black Dogs, Riff Raffs, Emeralds, True Grits, Holydivers, and Nailbomb (I think that's it).

For me personally, I would take the Mules over the Thornbuckers. The Thornbuckers are a little thinner to my ear; I actually don't like them very much. However, I would take the Suhr SSV over either of those, I really love the Suhr SSV neck and SSV+ bridge!

Last edited:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I had a set of Mules previously and currently have a set of Wolftones (legend in neck and Marshallhead in the bridge). The Mules were really well balanced and had great clarity. The Wolfetone set I have is really badly matched. The neck is so warm and lacking in treble that if I adjust the amp settings for it, the bridge seems like an icepick. Each would be ok on their own but as a set it is not ideal. Maybe the Dr. V / Marshallhead combo would be better but based on the set I have, I would go for the Mules.

Deftone

Reaction score
I have only tried Wolfetones but I love them. I have the Blisterbucker, P90 Mean/Meanest set, and some single coil strat neck and mid p'ups I have yet to install.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
not sure which models i have but the wolfetones in this R7 i just got sound great. had to lower them and find the balance..must have been owned by some rocker..had the pups as high as they would go and the screws raised too. been doing the a/b thing with the custombuckers. the wolfes are clear and not so brite. had to really lower the custombuckers to find the tone of the wolfs.. interesting..now to try the burstbuckers/comparison.. fun.cork sniffing but fun. i'll have to pull the wolfes and see which ones they are.

bluesoul

Reaction score
How well does the Marshall head work in the neck? I just ordered a set expecting a good bridge pickup, and hoping the neck works well too (otherwise I will need something else in the neck).

DBCooper

Reaction score
I was trying to decide between BK Mules and a Dr. Vintage/Marshallhead set too. But with Wolfetone's 25% COVID pricing, it was an easy choice for me. Good luck with your search.

bluesoul

Reaction score
I just dropped the Marshallhead set in a very picky 58 TH and finally this guitar is sounding killer! I was contemplating the Dr. V for the neck but am glad I just went with the set. The neck was the big surprise ... clear , crisp and nicely balanced. I thought it might be a bit hot for the neck but it is not over powering that position! The bridge did what I hoped for... punchy, beefy and articulate.

Latest Threads