Wolfetone Marshallhead set

bluesoul

Reaction score
I hear a lot about the Marshallhead in the bridge with a Dr.V in the neck. What's the scoop on the Marshall head in the neck postion?
Thanks!

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the term scoop is appropriate. The Marshallhead neck is wound a little hotter than the Dr V with an A5 magnet. Mids will be a little scooped. It does kick the amp a little harder but mates up nicely IMHO. However I do prefer the DR V neck pup. I find it more pleasing to the ear when the amp is cooking. If you play harder rock exclusively I think you would like the Marshallhead neck. If you want a little more versatility then the Dr V wins

bluesoul

Reaction score
Well the term scoop is appropriate. The Marshallhead neck is wound a little hotter than the Dr V with an A5 magnet. Mids will be a little scooped. It does kick the amp a little harder but mates up nicely IMHO. However I do prefer the DR V neck pup. I find it more pleasing to the ear when the amp is cooking. If you play harder rock exclusively I think you would like the Marshallhead neck. If you want a little more versatility then the Dr V wins
I found out! Great set! I have been going through several sets to make my 58TH sound as good as it looks, but just keep being disappointed. Finally I found the right Pups! Ass kicking! Anyway... the neck PU is very good in this guitar. I thought it might be a bit hot , but it is just right! The bridge is flat out rocking.... love it! Funny thing is, I kept trying vintage low putput PAF winds.... but this guitar needed an aggressive set! Yippie!

AJK1

Reaction score
I found out! Great set! I have been going through several sets to make my 58TH sound as good as it looks, but just keep being disappointed. Finally I found the right Pups! Ass kicking! Anyway... the neck PU is very good in this guitar. I thought it might be a bit hot , but it is just right! The bridge is flat out rocking.... love it! Funny thing is, I kept trying vintage low putput PAF winds.... but this guitar needed an aggressive set! Yippie!
What amp are you using ?

bluesoul

Reaction score
I use a Deluxe Reverb at home and usually test my pickup swaps with it cranked. main Amps are Matchless Clubman and Chieftain. Not a high gain guy... southern rock, classic rock and blues.

AJK1

Reaction score
I use a Deluxe Reverb at home and usually test my pickup swaps with it cranked. main Amps are Matchless Clubman and Chieftain. Not a high gain guy... southern rock, classic rock and blues.
Nice
Those amps would certainly bring out the best in your pickups

Greg Dunn

Reaction score
When I finish my burst build these (Marshallhead and Dr V) are going in it, I talked to Wolfe and did a lot of listening to guys that run similar rigs and that was the sound I am after for this guitar. Guitar is honduran mahogany, maple cap, honduran neck with rosewood (couldn't find a braz board resonably priced when I was getting the materials together, the parts are going to be vintage or vintage clone for the pieces I don't have will be running it through a Marshall Origin 50H, 1960 cab.

I think running Marshallheads in both positions would be a bit more aggressive but still very solid, maybe Wolife will see this and add his thoughts.

bluesoul

Reaction score
When I finish my burst build these (Marshallhead and Dr V) are going in it, I talked to Wolfe and did a lot of listening to guys that run similar rigs and that was the sound I am after for this guitar. Guitar is honduran mahogany, maple cap, honduran neck with rosewood (couldn't find a braz board resonably priced when I was getting the materials together, the parts are going to be vintage or vintage clone for the pieces I don't have will be running it through a Marshall Origin 50H, 1960 cab.

I think running Marshallheads in both positions would be a bit more aggressive but still very solid, maybe Wolife will see this and add his thoughts.
Report back, love to know what you end up going with and the end results!

David Garner

Reaction score
I tend to have best results when the pickups have similar or identical magnets. A5 bridge/A2 neck has never really worked out for me. So my inclination is if you go with the Marshallhead A5 bridge, get the Marshallhead neck, or the MK II neck with an A5 magnet. If you want an A2 neck, get the A2 bridge as well. Etc.

The standard Marshallhead neck is wound somewhat hotter than, say, a Duncan 59 (what I have in the neck of one of my LPs with a JB bridge). But not absurdly so. I'd think it would sound a whole lot like a slightly hotter 59, which would be a nice pickup. Plus it will be unpotted, so it's sort of a "best of both worlds" thing.

bluesoul

Reaction score
The standard Marshallhead neck is wound somewhat hotter than, say, a Duncan 59 (what I have in the neck of one of my LPs with a JB bridge). But not absurdly so.
I agree. It really just has a little more hair to it. Still articulate, bright and clear. What was a very pleasant surprise was how nice and tight the low end is. Solved my boomy neck issue!

David Garner

Reaction score
I agree. It really just has a little more hair to it. Still articulate, bright and clear. What was a very pleasant surprise was how nice and tight the low end is. Solved my boomy neck issue!
I've never really had issues with a boomy neck pickup, but I will say where the Custom Shop Pearly Gates neck is chirpy and fat and thick, the 59 neck is cutting and bright. It's still fat and round like a good LP neck should be, but it definitely works better with higher gain settings. It just cuts very nicely.

The Pearly sounds like a trombone. The 59 sounds like a trumpet.

bluesoul

Reaction score
I've never really had issues with a boomy neck pickup
Just one guitar causing me the headache! True Historic, plays great, looks great but neck PU lends itself to being a bit boomy. The bridge was a little thin with the custombuckers and other vintage PAF winds....I tried several sets(chasing my tail)! The Wolfetones work great in both spots. It just needed a hotter pickup and maybe the A5 mag. Anyway, finally it sounds as good as it looks! In fact it sounds pretty damn killer now!

David Garner

Reaction score
Just one guitar causing me the headache! True Historic, plays great, looks great but neck PU lends itself to being a bit boomy. The bridge was a little thin with the custombuckers and other vintage PAF winds....I tried several sets(chasing my tail)! The Wolfetones work great in both spots. It just needed a hotter pickup and maybe the A5 mag. Anyway, finally it sounds as good as it looks! In fact it sounds pretty damn killer now!
I wouldn't say boomy, but the 490r that came stock in the guitar that now has the JB/59 set was dull. Too warm I guess. A UOA5 magnet woke that pickup right up. It's one of the best pickups I've heard now. The 59 works better with the JB, and that's the only reason it's in the guitar now because I have a slight preference for the JB over the 498t (which also has a UOA5 magnet).

I'm convinced that the right match of magnet to wind is crucial. Very few people like that 498t/490r set stock. But with a UOA5 in both pickups, it solves every problem each one has. The 498t becomes warmer and a little looser, and the 490r cuts better and has more chirp to the tone.

I thought about getting a set of Slash pickups, but the UOA5 490r does Sweet Child tones better than he does (not that my playing does them any good).

bluesoul

Reaction score
I'm convinced that the right match of magnet to wind is crucial.
Agree. Look at the difference between a BBP and BB 1/2. Alnico 5 vs alnico 2.Same pickup with a different magnet. Although both for the most part have the basic Burstbucker formula or "flavor" but are very different.....not in a subtle way!
UOA5 is sorta of my go to!

stephen78

Reaction score
I have the Marshallhead/Dr. Vintage combo in my Traditional. Wolfe recommenced that set to me. I remember being worried about having an A5 bridge with an A2 neck. So I went with the MKII neck instead. I found it a little bassy in my LP, so I tried the Dr. Vintage neck. To my surprise it worked great with the Marshallhead bridge! I should have listened to Wolfe in the first place. The middle position tones are excellent. I will note that I like my Marshallhead bridge on the lower side, but even when I tried it raised up a bit the pickups balanced perfectly.

Latest Threads