Wolfetone Dr vintage?

Frank1985

Reaction score
I've had a set of slash pups in my navigator Les Paul for a while and while I think they sound pretty gnarly they're a little too dark and hot for my liking - especially that neck pickup. I've tweaked and tweaked and I just can't find a sound that inspires me. So I'm thinking of continuing down that vintage alnico ii route, only something a little brighter with less 'heat'.

I'm being offered a set of Wolfetone Dr.Vs which apparently are a decent alternative and I just wanted to ask here what you guys think of these, and whether I should be looking at other options.

I play all kinds of genres but everything I do is rooted in blues.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you're into. I'm a clean rhythm player. A set of Dr. V's are the best pups I've owned to date and the ones that got away. Should have pulled em before I sold the guitar.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend has them in his 335. Very nice. I have a Marshallhead in the bridge and a Dr Vintage in the neck of my Classic. Very nice combo. Great neck pup. Wolfetone is the absolute best bang for the buck out there

mdubya

Reaction score
Every set of Wolfetones I have played has been noticeably neutral and clear. I am always impressed with them. Not dark and muddy, not overly bright and annoying.

I have a friend that had them in an LP and he did not like that neutral and clear character. But I did.

Last edited:

Mr French

Reaction score
I've had a set of slash pups in my navigator Les Paul for a while and while I think they sound pretty gnarly they're a little too dark and hot for my liking - especially that neck pickup. I've tweaked and tweaked and I just can't find a sound that inspires me. So I'm thinking of continuing down that vintage alnico ii route, only something a little brighter with less 'heat'.

I'm being offered a set of Wolfetone Dr.Vs which apparently are a decent alternative and I just wanted to ask here what you guys think of these, and whether I should be looking at other options.

I play all kinds of genres but everything I do is rooted in blues.
Never tried Wolftones but always heard great things about them.

TaterNuts

Reaction score
I have a set of unpotted Legends in one of my Heritages. Pulled a pair of SD 59s for them. Huge improvement. I have never regretted a set of Wolfetones.

jcsk8

Reaction score
Don´t let them pass. Just try them. 90%+ chances that you gonna fall in love. Had Duncas APH-1 (not Slashes but close) ad now I have Dr. V´s on mine two LP´s and they will stay there forever.
You can play clean, blues, metal, whatever a great PAF can cover.
And in the rare case you dislike them you can sell them easilly.

jbash

Reaction score
My understanding is they are a sweeter version of the Legend. I find that hard to believe as the Legends are super sweet (and will do raunchy just as easily, too).

The Legends are incredibly good pickups, an order of magnitude better than mass produced Duncans (and yeah been down the a2pro and slash set road before). So, I don't think passing up a set of Wolfes pickups for a good deal is a smart move.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is they are a sweeter version of the Legend. I find that hard to believe as the Legends are super sweet (and will do raunchy just as easily, too).
Wolfe told me and I'm paraphrasing that there is a formula for winding the Dr Vintage and the Legends are all a little different.

jbash

Reaction score
Wolfe told me and I'm paraphrasing that there is a formula for winding the Dr Vintage and the Legends are all a little different.
Yep..I did not mean to say there were roughly the same pickup, but rather that I cannot see how the Dr.V could improve on the Legend because it's pretty amazing as is.

TaterNuts

Reaction score
Looking at the specs for the Legends vs. the Dr. Vintage, the neck looks to be about the same, but the bridge is wound a little hotter on the Legend, 8.5k versus 8.05k.

corona powers

Reaction score
Would a 2020 November burst have these Slash pickups in them or are they different pickups?

TaterNuts

Reaction score
Wolfe is also still running his COVID special. 25% off all orders until further notice. That means you can get a pair for about $200. That's a hell of a deal if you ask me. Especially since he will talk with you and build you exactly what you want.

Latest Threads