Wolf replacing Michael Anthony

Deftone

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered and I missed it....

Like most people, I thought it was pretty messed up when Wolf replaced Michael Anthony on tour with VH.

But after EVH passed, my thoughts were he might have brought Wolf in so he could play with his son, knowing his time was short. I can't blame him for that. Now I'm glad he did.

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
I always thought that after VH went silent for so long. No new music, no touring, that MA went to play with Sammy, because at least that way he'd be working. That Michael had "moved on." And When VH started doing something, MA was playing with the guy EVH wasn't speaking to. So VH needed a base player. And who better than Wolfie.

Deftone

Reaction score
I always thought that after VH went silent for so long. No new music, no touring, that MA went to play with Sammy, because at least that way he'd be working. That Michael had "moved on." And When VH started doing something, MA was playing with the guy EVH wasn't speaking to. So VH needed a base player. And who better than Wolfie.
That's a great point.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
It's pretty common for a Dad to give their teenaged son a job in the family business.

As I understand it Eddie had been a drunk and a drug addict throughout most of Wolfie's upbringing. I've read stories of Wolfie backstage during the '04 tour crying on the phone to his Mom that Dad is out of control, and of Eddie almost boasting to people that he has thrown away his family for booze. So my interpretation is that the VH reunion offered a way for the now sober Eddie to bond with his son and rebuild that relationship.

Now that Eddie has died, Wolfie has an incredible set of memories of playing arenas with his Dad.

ns2a

Reaction score
They all hated MA for years. Mostly about $$.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I think Mike knew how lucky he was to be in Van Halen and Van Halen was lucky to have one guy with a unique voice and also an even temperament. MA sure made the most of his time in the band and seems to be doing better than a lot of his peers from back then.

bad565ss

Reaction score
Having played in a band with my youngest son for several years I can certainly relate to that angle.
I wouldn't give up those years for anything and I'm
sorry they're in the past. Whether that was EVH's motivation I can't say but he definitely knew there was a chance he wouldn't live a long life and I'm sure he wanted to look after his boy.

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
I get that Ed wanted to play with his son, but form a different band with him.

the reunion should’ve been the original four.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I get that Ed wanted to play with his son, but form a different band with him.

the reunion should’ve been the original four.
Been hearing this last week that everything was ready to go for a full reunion tour last summer, but before it could get off the ground Eddie's cancer spread and left him physically unable to do it. :(

Bluesky

Reaction score
Eddie should have done a few solo discs with the kid. It cheapened the legacy after a horrible 3 yrs with Gary Cherone.

Replacing MA was a scumbag move about money and jealousy.

Now we see those where few precious yrs EVH had before unhealthy lifestyle bit him hard.

Olds442

Reaction score
Eddie should have done a few solo discs with the kid. It cheapened the legacy after a horrible 3 yrs with Gary Cherone.

Now we see those where few precious yrs EVH had before unhealthy lifestyle bit him hard.
scumbag move or not, i could see doing the same things for my sons. if i knew i was exiting soon, i'd do everything i could for them. i doubt i'm alone in thinking that as a parent. i'd also (and this may have happened) talk to michael about it so he understands why.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Eddie should have done a few solo discs with the kid. It cheapened the legacy after a horrible 3 yrs with doing things his way.

Fixed it for ya.

Last edited:

Bluesky

Reaction score
scumbag move or not, i could see doing the same things for my sons. if i knew i was exiting soon, i'd do everything i could for them. i doubt i'm alone in thinking that as a parent. i'd also (and this may have happened) talk to michael about it so he understands why.
It was 16 yrs sgo. Wolfie wasn't even able to vote yet. His health had nothing to do with it at the time. He just took a bad turn in the last year or so.

Eddie got obsessed with money and kicking MA out meant he only had to share the pie with a lead singer ....

Olds442

Reaction score
It was 16 yrs sgo. Wolfie wasn't even able to vote yet. His health had nothing to do with it at the time. He just took a bad turn in the last year or so.

Eddie got obsessed with money and kicking MA out meant he only had to share the pie with a lead singer ....
you know more than i do about it then, obviously.

i saw them in 2012 with wolfie and not MA, which i thought was the last tour and only without MA. i could be wrong, i'm no expert on VH's touring lineup.

but that said, i could see touring with my son and explaining to MA.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score

You’re forgetting Alex. EVH had long crapped on MA and I’m surprised he was kept on so long. MA, while a big part of their sound didn’t write for the band and was merely the bass player (he was likely also the guy most fans could relate to) I think maybe Eddie had trust issues and figured that only family had his back and Mike was tight with Sammy. To be honest I think things worked out fine for him as he had made great money while in VH, afterward got to play with other great musicians who respect him and is still married to his high school sweetheart. Not a bad happy ending.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Eddie has been dealing with his cancer since around 2000... about the time they went into hiatus until the reunion with Sammy and Michael. Wolfgang was only 9.
I have a feeling his cancer was worse than we were ever allowed to know. It didn't help that he didn't get cleaned up from alcohol until 2008.

But I don't disagree about his obsession with money, though in retrospect, I can see him wanting to leave a solid inheritance for Wolf.

Latest Threads