Wizz pickups in my 68 les paul

electro

Reaction score
After having my Wizz pickups sitting in a drawer for about a month and a half, I finally got the chance to install them. Quick review and looking for some advise. First they went into my 68 RI les paul custom. I replaced the original pickups with Lindy Fralins Pure PAFs. There was a minor improvement between the originals and the Fralins. Nothing you could clearly articulate or measure but my personal perception was one of improvement. I decided to replace the Fralins after reading all the positivity about the WIZZs. Also, I had custom ordered the Fralins with gold screws and gold slugs and was not thrilled with the look of the gold slugs. I ordered the WIZZs with gold screws, silver slugs and no covers and had them aged. Cosmetically they are works of art. I was really looking forward to hearing them. Once installed I have to say they sound very good with all guitar controls at 10. Better then the Fralins? I can't honestly say. I really can't hear any audible difference between the Fralins and the Wizzs with these settings. That is not a bad thing since I can say the Fralins sounded great. But, once you turn the volumes down the WIZZs lost their pizzaz, whereas the Fralins sounded great throughout the numeric spectrum. Maybe the WIZZs would be better with a different pot and cap match, I don't know. If any of you have the Wizzs let me know if you have made any changes to the pots and caps or have experienced similar findings.

River

Reaction score
I've never had Fralins, but tried about six other after-market/boutique sets in my R8 before settling on Wizz. Every set required different amp and guitar settings to hit their sweet spot. I've all stock electronics, switched to '50s wiring.

With my amp EQ, I rarely play them with any of the four knobs on 10 except the neck tone. They may simply be slightly lower output - they are noticeably lower-output than Phat Cats.

polifemo

Reaction score
I´m using my Wizz PAF clones with 500k pots, and there are no problems whatsoever when turning volume/tone down.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Have you adjusted the height? Poles? This can have a dramatic impact on the sound, feel, and responsiveness.

electro

Reaction score
Pickup height wouldn't effect tone when pots are turned down. Maybe overall yes, but not specifically when turned down. What caps are you guys using?

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I don't have that problem. Mine are great. I have an RS' Bumblebees.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
The thing to try here are some PIOs in '50s style wiring or at least move the lead on your current caps from the outside lug on the volume pots to the center lug. The Wizz pups are designed to shine with the '50s style tone circuit. :cool:

electro

Reaction score
gtr-tek great advice and what I was looking for. Do you have amy info on "PIOs in '50s style wiring"?

River

Reaction score
gtr-tek great advice and what I was looking for. Do you have amy info on "PIOs in '50s style wiring"?
It's all in the wiring sticky.

There's probably one for capacitors too. Yeah, buddy, I'm sure there is. You're covered here down to everything this side of dust mites' effect on tone.

Latest Threads