Wiring Question

Falstaff

Reaction score
Hello folks. I figured I would post this question due to all the Japanese guitar knowledge. Sorry if this gets a little long-winded. Right now I have two P90 LP types: One is a 2007 Tokai gold top and the other is an 82 Greco Junior that I bought here. The Tokai supposedly has Zhangbucker P90s. It has sounded amazing since day one so I have never really looked. I have been known to swap out a pickup or two and I ended up taking the stock Greco pickup out of the Junior and putting in a Wagner P90, which is a different flavor of great (and IMHO better than the stock one). It is hotter and nastier than the Zhang pickups.

The thing I like best about the Tokai is how versatile and responsive the tone and volume knobs are, especially with the bridge pickup. The volume pot is not just an on/off kind of deal, but really gives me a wide sweep of options to go from nasty to cleaner without losing much volume. This has really changed the way I play; not sure if that’s for the better or not (you can’t shine a sneaker) but it’s definitely a thing I never really experienced before.

Hoping to experience this with the Greco, especially considering the fact that it’s a one pickup guitar, I decided to splurge on an RS wiring harness. I always wanted to try one of those and I figured this would be a good opportunity. I had it put in and while it does sound better than the stock setup, it still does not have quite the sweep that the other guitar has. I don’t think there’s anything boutique at all about the pots and caps in the Tokai. I have attached photos of both wiring scenarios. For those of you who know this kind of thing, does something jump out at you on the Tokai that is different than the Greco?

Thanks in advance for your help.
904A06A7-9F0E-49A4-9F6C-1A988A068D8A.jpeg

Attachments

• 71AB32DA-A6E5-4588-A84D-9C7262C88019.jpeg
    71AB32DA-A6E5-4588-A84D-9C7262C88019.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 038739F3-30F2-4B81-989B-71F14B081F70.jpeg
    038739F3-30F2-4B81-989B-71F14B081F70.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 15

Roxy13

Reaction score
What kind of pots come with the RS kit? I'm guessing the volume one is one of their Superpots? Is the tone an audio taper or linear taper?

Falstaff

Reaction score
Tone is audio and Volume is the super. It may be that the taper is just different— I am going to have to experiment a little more maybe — The initial drop off on the RS is definitely more steep.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Tone is audio and Volume is the super. It may be that the taper is just different— I am going to have to experiment a little more maybe — The initial drop off on the RS is definitely more steep.

Yeah, one of my Burnys came with an RS harness in it and I really didn't care for it and took it out and replaced it with one of mine.

I like the taper on the VIPots the most.

Falstaff

Reaction score
It seems like on the Tokai the cap is between the two lowest lugs. Hmm.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Your Tokai is connected modern to the volume pots, although 50s on the tone pots. That will still work like modern wiring though. Some people call that 60s wiring.

Your Junior is 50s though.

So that might be affecting things and perhaps you prefer modern wiring?

Falstaff

Reaction score
thank you. It’s funny: I definitely don’t lose many highs when I roll down the volume pot in the Tokai.

As long as it doesn’t have “70s wiring” like my brother’s Vega that caught on fire in our driveway back in the day!

Falstaff

Reaction score
I have one more day in Covid jail and messed around a little more today at a decent volume. I made a couple videos just to document what I was hearing. The bottom line is that there’s not a heck of a lot of difference. The tone knob does more with 50s wiring, especially when the volume is anything other than 10. The video definitely doesn’t explain the Tokai relative to why the volume knob behaves the way it does with the modern wiring, but it sounds good so who am I to complain?

Latest Threads