Wiring query 3 P90's 7 switch positions possible?

Lokkochaa

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently working on a Tele commission that is going to have 3 P90s. The build is at the point where a decision needs to be made about the switching configuration. The client would ideally like 7 switch combinations -

1 bridge
2 bridge & middle
3 middle
4 middle & neck
5 neck
6 neck & bridge
7 neck, middle & bridge.

So far i have found a 6 way rotary switch but nothing that will do 7. Is it possible to use a combination of switches to give all these tones? Say like a 5 way switch by the volume & tone knobs to cover the first 5 positions and a different switch on the upper bout that will cover the last 2?

Electronics aren't my strong point and I'd like to try and get all the options they want. If anyone can give some info or a schematic that would be amazing.

Thanks

ARandall

Reaction score
The easiest way about this is to use a regular strat 5-way switch, then add in either a mini toggle or push-pull to switch the bridge on irrespective of what position the 5-way is set to.
You then get the regular 5-way posi options (1-5), then with the other switch engaged, 4 and 5 become 7 and 6 respectively.

Lokkochaa

Reaction score
Would you happen to know where I can get a diagram to wire it like that? Sounds like it would work well.

geoffstgermaine

Reaction score
If you search for a Stratocaster "Seven Sound" modification you can find wiring diagrams for doing wiring an SPST with a 5-way switch to get the seven settings you listed. I think the common modification wires the SPST to work as a neck or bridge on/off switch as ARandall described.

bhmcintosh

Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12strings
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My approach would be one that I used to see on prefab pickguard/pickup assemblies for Strats back in the early 80s - an on-off mini toggle switch for each pickup. That gives you all of the combinations you listed, and if you space the toggles about the right distance so you land three fingertips on 'em, it's very easy to braille the situation.

randyripoff

Reaction score
Danelectro did something along these lines for the '56 U-3 (I think I have that correct) using a seven-way rotary switch for the "blow switch". You might check Mouser Electronics or McMaster-Carr for potential options.

Lokkochaa

Reaction score
We had seen rotary switches etc but the client feels these would be too clumsy for his playing style. I'm sort of inclined to agree, played a PRS with a rotary and found it quite difficult to be confident I had the correct position.

The idea with the 5 way and a mini switch sounds like the way to go. Saying that, I do quite like the idea of a mini switch for each pickup. bhmcintosh would you happen to know of any pics or schematics for this?

Thanks

Barnaby

Reaction score
As always, "geoffstgermaine" is spot on - the seven-sound version is the way to go. For a tele, try this link. Personally, I'd do it with a push/pull rather than a mini toggle. Bourns make great pots for this. If your customer really wants fast access to the bridge/neck and all 3 pickup sounds, then you could go with a push/push pot, but (in my experience, anyway) these seem to have a tendency to fail after a year or two of frequent use.

Latest Threads