Wiring Library

ashbass

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can any of the wiring gurus tell me how the extra .047 caps wired to the lugs would affect the tone? I'm wondering why Gibson added these for the Frampton model and whether or not it makes sense to play with their values.
Thanks in advance!

Muddy sounding neck pickup? Try Seymour’s quick tech fix
Posted on November 15, 2010 on the Official Seymour Duncan Blog

By Seymour Duncan Tech Guru Scott Miller

People often call and ask how to fix a muddy sounding neck pickup. Some years ago, Seymour taught me a cool trick to fix this exact problem. If you connect a .047 capacitor in series (directly in-line) with the hot output wire from your neck pickup, it will filter out the excess low-end, and clean up the muddy tone. Most of the time, this solution is perfect. And, it is an easy mod that most people can do themselves.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to bump the Wiring Library with content from a post I made over at the LPF.

The topic was pre-wired harnesses and I shared some of my methods for those thinking about DIY.

Here is the diagram I have settled on:

LP Wiring.png

Here is a short list of things I do to make wiring in the harness easier:

1.) Don't solder the braided shields directly to the back of the pots. I wrap a length of either cloth covered wire or bare buss wire around the switch and pickup leads for each pickup, solder it there, and run that wire to a SMALL solder blob on the back of the volume pot.

2.) Don't solder the bridge ground to the volume pot. Extend the lead and run it to the output jack. Or you can solder it directly to the output braid from the switch and then heat shrink it and route it around the side of the bridge controls.

3.) Remove the ground wire connecting the 2 tone pots. It's not necessary and actually allows you to solder those controls to the switch and pickup leads independently of one another, thus making the hard part of wiring the harness into the control cavity easier.

4.) Turn the pots to zero when soldering to the cases.

If you look at my diagram, you can see that there are not many connections. I prefer less solder on the pot casings if I can help it.

Here is my last harness I wired up:

It's one of the cleanest I've ever done, and was easy to install into the cavity using my third hand and doing each pickup one at a time.

Latest Threads